PDA

View Full Version : Fish & chips made with whale meat?

bugg smasher
27th Aug 2013, 16:51
Uh oh...

How Britain's taste for fish and chips is putting endangered fin whales at risk - Nature - Environment - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/how-britains-taste-for-fish-and-chips-is-putting-endangered-fin-whales-at-risk-8784239.html)

The SSK
27th Aug 2013, 17:04
Why don't we just declare war on these pesky Icelanders and have done with it?

That is, if we manage to beat them this time.

RJM
27th Aug 2013, 17:12
You'll be safe with connoisseurs like this around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB1fa7Z8r_4

500N
27th Aug 2013, 17:13
Another bleeding heart story.

Got to be someone chasing money somewhere in that story.

sisemen
27th Aug 2013, 17:39
Sell that one to the vegans/greenies/health nuts/cycle riders that consume vast quantities of krill oil and thus are taking the sustenance out of the mouths of endangered whales.

Flap 5
27th Aug 2013, 18:17
The whale isn't a fish is it? It's a mammal.

500N
27th Aug 2013, 18:19
Yep.

And all this talk is making me want some Fish and Chips.

11Fan
27th Aug 2013, 18:35
Fish and Chips.

Speaking of which, if you by chance are ever at Sea World in San Diego, never order the Fish and Chips. I have it on good authority that it was one of the "poor performers."

Krystal n chips
27th Aug 2013, 18:43
Unfortunately, that video is, sadly, a fake.

The use of sharp objects, notably a knife and fork.....these alone provide unequivocal clues !..plus, the subsequent hand / eye co-ordination to consume the food ( there was one moment of concern when I saw a Holland's Steak and Kidney pudding...heaven on a plate with chips, mushy peas, salt and vinegar and gravy !:ok: ) is not readily associated with the populace of Wigan.....:E

The use of a car also calls the authenticity into question.....

For the jaded palates in the Sarf, said puddings are now available from a well known supermarket beginning and ending with the first letter of the alphabet.......so get your Southern gobs into mastication mode and enjoy !

Wot ?

G-CPTN
27th Aug 2013, 21:21
As a result of this thread, I was obliged to patronise (ie visit and purchase from) the chippie van that visits our village on Tuesdays and avail myself of a (small) portion of chish and fips.

Excellent!

500N
27th Aug 2013, 21:25
No fish and chip shop was open so went and got a mini burger.

I asked for a Whale meat burger but they didn't have any.

I'll ask the next Greenie I come across (probably at the voting booth
in a weeks time) where I can get a Whale Burger from !!!

Ozzy
27th Aug 2013, 21:32
Salt and sauce or salt and vinegar?

Ozzy

500N
27th Aug 2013, 21:38
I reckon Salt and Lemon goes well.

tony draper
27th Aug 2013, 21:53
Hmmm, a Whale is not a Fish.:=

The SSK
27th Aug 2013, 21:56
I cannot believe that after 13 psts, nobody has mentioned Vera Lynn

Whoops, I just did

421dog
27th Aug 2013, 22:44
just rooted around in the cupboard and found a can of whale from a trip a few years back. Divvied it up between whale sauteed in a bit of butter, served with ponzu sauce, and whale nachos with roasted chilies and tequila/queso refritos.

Between the two, it's all gone, and my kids are asking when we can have some more.

bugg smasher
28th Aug 2013, 18:12
Scuse please, says here Vera Lynn campaigned for PETA against pigeon racing, a very notably worthy of one's time cause that is, I might add, asssuming one has much time to burn, did she have something to do with cetacean and freedom fries as well?

Capetonian
28th Aug 2013, 18:18
Whale meat was on the menu at several restaurants we went to recently in Iceland. It did not look very appetising, even though well presented, like coarse grained semi-raw steak. My son enjoyed it but I couldn't face the idea and stuck to something more conservative.

Perlan, Reykjavik :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593647/whale.jpg

RedhillPhil
28th Aug 2013, 18:23
Of course had the naive fool Heath not signed away our fisheries to the E.U. in the early seventies we'd be still enjoying Cod landed in Grimsby and Fleetwood instead of importing the fish from Iceland which, thanks to it's jealous guarding of it's fishery is still knee deep in Cod and Halibut and Ling and ....lots of fish!

500N
28th Aug 2013, 18:34
Cape

I must admit that does not look very appetizing.

Ancient Mariner
28th Aug 2013, 18:55
500N, if you didn't know that was whale meat, would you say the same?
Just found a supplier of smoke whale meat, stocked the freezer!
Per

500N
28th Aug 2013, 19:08
Yes. I am / would not be adverse to eating or at least trying anything
- except roast fruit bat (see below).

I will admit, a couple of things on that plate turned me off more so than
the two pieces of whale.

1. The brown blobs of sauce which to me looks like HP sauce :O
2. The two pieces of meat with skin on look OK, it's the black thing
near the bottom that reminded me of roast fruit bat !
2. The way the whole thing is presented, chopped up corn on the cob,
a small piece of meat in the middle of the yellow sauce.

FYI, I didn't know whale meat had crispy skin !

mixture
28th Aug 2013, 23:08
I must admit that does not look very appetizing.

Its more appetizing than fettered shark which is absolutely revolting.

500N
28th Aug 2013, 23:16
mixture

What may I ask is "fettered shark" ?

I love Shark (or flake as it is called here in Aus)
and have caught Sharks and eaten them.

But have never heard of the word "fettered".

Please enlighten me.

Ancient Mariner
28th Aug 2013, 23:59
500N:
I will admit, a couple of things on that plate turned me off more so than
the two pieces of whale.

1. The brown blobs of sauce which to me looks like HP sauce http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif Agreed
2. The two pieces of meat with skin on look OK, it's the black thing
near the bottom that reminded me of roast fruit bat !Agreed
2. The way the whole thing is presented, chopped up corn on the cob,
a small piece of meat in the middle of the yellow sauce. Agreed

FYI, I didn't know whale meat had crispy skin Me neither. :confused:Per..........................

500N
29th Aug 2013, 00:22
AM

"Just found a supplier of smoke whale meat, stocked the freezer!"

I don't know where "Snowy Bertebu" is so where did you find Whale meat ?

I'd love to wind up some Greenies ;)

G-CPTN
29th Aug 2013, 00:23
What may I ask is "fettered shark" ?
I think it should be fetid shark - a process whereby Greenland sharks are buried and allowed to putrefy (or ferment) to reduce the toxicity of the meat.

Ancient Mariner
29th Aug 2013, 08:18
500 N, the location of Snowy Bertebu is revealed on a strict need to know basis...;)
Actually it is the name of our cottage in the Norwegian mountains.
We can find fresh whale meat here in our local store in season and frozen meat as well as my new found favourite, smoked probably all year round.
As a kid up north in the 50'ies and 60'ies, whale meat was staple food and I've loved it ever since.
Per

cockney steve
29th Aug 2013, 08:29
Tuck in to your Fish and Chips with a clear concience,folks.
The authorities have now admitted that North Sea stocks have recovered sufficiently to make fishing sustainable again.....the shameful discard policy caused more losses (but kept a healthy seagull population!)
The icelandics have always conserved their stocks,because their economy relies heavily on fishing,- They tried diversifying into banking, but I believe it didn't go too well :E
Farmers wouldn't dump waste oil on their fields and likewise fishermen don't want to kill their own livelihood. a lot of the guff you read is political propaganda. the quota system is another racket like Carbon Trading and Single Farm Payments.
THE NORTH SEA IS AWASH WITH GOOD, EDIBLE,LARGE FISH -Under the quota system, if you catch too many of them , you have to throw them away, even though they're already dead or dying.

Fish and chips is lower in fat and "nasties " than any other takeaway meal.....proven scientific fact! healthier than Chinese or Indian.

I-pad owners will find" I fish for chips" locates the best chippies:)

Yes! I had a Chippy for a few years.:ok:

SMT Member
29th Aug 2013, 12:26
On a business trip to Stavanger, I was once invited to sample the whale a restaurant had on the menu. As the waitress took my order she asked how I'd like the whale steak cooked. 'Rare, please, if not extinct' was my smart arse answer. Sadly that went right over the head of the, very delectable it must be added, waitress.

The whale steak was nothing to write home about, bit like a coarse steak tasting from fish, so instead I put all of my efforts into charming the panties off the waitress.

Sailor Vee
29th Aug 2013, 16:23
bugg smasher, you must get out more! Vera Lynn's song, "Whale meat again, don't know where, don't know when!"

bugg smasher
29th Aug 2013, 19:51
Sailor Vee, :}:ok: