PDA

View Full Version : Synchronising e-mail between 2 computers

smuff2000
27th Aug 2013, 15:14
I have been using thunderbird for e-mail on my desktop & laptops and have used "mozbackup" to synchronise them, it seemed to work at first but now doesn't, reverting to a default e-mail that is no longer in use.

Can anyone reccomend a good e-mail program (free for preference) that I can install on both machines and easily synchronise them.

Thanks for any advice.

OFSO
27th Aug 2013, 15:22
I know I'm deviating here but using google.co.uk across four devices (two android) results in perfect synchronisation. K9 mail is pretty good, too.

Don Coyote
27th Aug 2013, 16:38
If you are using your own domain can you set it up as an IMAP account? I had originally used a POP account and frequently had to delete emails on each of my 3 devices plus webmail; I changed it to an IMAP account and now deleted emails get deleted on all other devices, sent and filed emails also populate each device.

mixture
27th Aug 2013, 16:53
smuff2000,

If your ISP/email host/whatever you want to call it supports IMAP use that.

Believe me, you're only going to make a mess of it if you try to DIY it via some home-made bodge job.

IMAP is the way to go, its been around since the dark ages, been battle tested and is simple to setup .... setup IMAP account on PC1, setup IMAP account on PC2. Job done. Enable offline-caching if you want a local copy of your emails.

Take a tip from the world of corporate IT. If you can do it server side, do it server side.