PDA

View Full Version : Were walkmans allowed during the 1980's?

t1grm
26th Aug 2013, 18:26
During take off and landing? Or were they required to be switched off? Just out of curiosity. I was wondering if all this hysteria about electronic devices on planes started with mobile phones or whether it's always been like that.

Likewise the first laptops predated genuinely portable mobiles. Were they banned also?

mixture
26th Aug 2013, 19:10
t1grm,

Try google ? Yields a number of results that include.....

Since the 1980s, airlines have prohibited passengers from using any electronic devices while planes are in flight (and as they depart and land)

ExXB
26th Aug 2013, 19:41
All which hysteria? I haven't looked at the daily mail recently. Was another spoiled brat unfairly treated for not following the instructions of the crew?

t1grm
26th Aug 2013, 21:04
Try google ? Yields a number of results that include.....

Yes lets google everything and not discuss anything on here. Makes for a really lively and vibrant internet forum - not.

t1grm
26th Aug 2013, 21:07
All which hysteria? I haven't looked at the daily mail recently. Was another spoiled brat unfairly treated for not following the instructions of the crew?

Neither have I (daily mail that is) although the tone of your response would suggest you are a regular reader (spoilt brat etc).

I suppose I was referring to the fact that it is discussed more frequently now since the massive increase in smart phone usage. Before smartphones there wasn't much you could do on a mobile whilst on a plane.

P.S. Lot of angst on this forum it seems...

rgsaero
26th Aug 2013, 22:00
In order to avoid being referred to as a spoilt brat (though I am sure many who read the DM are neither spoilt or brats) for the record I neither buy or read that newspaper.

To respond to the OP's enquiry - NO! There were no constraints on the use of walkmans or similar devices which generally reproduced music from tape. Such machines had no capability to emit signals which might interfere with aircraft systems, radio, navaids etc. as do "modern" devices (hence the "hysteria")

And in case the OP doubts my sources - I am well qualified to know having used both long and shorthaul since the early '60s, before such devices were either available or fashionable. (My first long-haul was in 1951, London Singapore return, when in flight announcements were barely audible over the din of P&W/Wright or RR Merlin power so they would have been inaudible anyway.)

I suspect if we had taken the entertainment of the day - a wind up gramophone - on board a Constellation in 1951 there might have been quite a party half way to Rome with dancing.............

t1grm
26th Aug 2013, 22:18
Thanks for the info. No reason to doubt your sources. Why would I? :)

That does beg the question why we can't use "modern" devices in flight mode if walkmans etc were OK (during take off and landing that is). Also the advice seems to extend to non transmitting devices nowadays such as mp3 players, digital cameras and ebook readers.

P.S. I wasn't accusing DM readers of being spoilt brats. I was implying that turn of phrase was typical of the sensationalist terminology used in the DM.

perantau
26th Aug 2013, 23:14
Perhaps rsdio operators, navigators & flight engineers were more immune to EMF interference than the magic boxes underneath the floorboards...?

t1grm
26th Aug 2013, 23:35
Quite possibly! :D

belfrybat
27th Aug 2013, 04:36
Unlike the old analog devices which worked only in the audio band, the digital ones have a 'clock' of several megahertz. In a badly shielded device there's a possibility of the harmonics of this clock radiating into the antenna cabling and interfering with navigation and communication. Cellphones and wi-fi and bluetooth enabled devices have their own transmitters which may create even stronger interference.

Phileas Fogg
27th Aug 2013, 05:45
I recall one Ms. Tina Turner, during the Private Dancer Tour circa 84/85, boarding a Twotter at PLH bound for LHR and being asked to removed her Walkman during the safety brief/demo but I do believe she was allowed to use it during flight.

mixture
27th Aug 2013, 06:13
really lively and vibrant internet forum

I think you've come to the wrong place, try the next forum down on the left. :E

ExXB
27th Aug 2013, 07:03
Thanks for the info. No reason to doubt your sources. Why would I? :)

That does beg the question why we can't use "modern" devices in flight mode if walkmans etc were OK (during take off and landing that is). Also the advice seems to extend to non transmitting devices nowadays such as mp3 players, digital cameras and ebook readers.

P.S. I wasn't accusing DM readers of being spoilt brats. I was implying that turn of phrase was typical of the sensationalist terminology used in the DM.

Well this spoiled brat says that if you don't like google, why not try searching this forum. Lots to learn on this subject here.

rgsaero
27th Aug 2013, 07:10
Presumably the Twotter crew wanted Tina Turner to hear what was said in the safety briefing?

dubbleyew eight
27th Aug 2013, 07:24
Also the advice seems to extend to non transmitting devices nowadays

you'd be surprised at what transmits.

a friend of mine used to tune a particular frequency on an AM radio and borrow my Hewlett Packard HP35. (HP's first calculator.) He would punch in a particular series of numbers and the radio would pick the keystrokes up and play a music box tonal piece. quite well done actually.

GrahamO
27th Aug 2013, 08:13
I suspect the answer was that after you had spent your money on a Walkman, you wouldn't have been able to afford a holiday which involved flying.

My first one was circa 1980 as a student (Sanyo model) and I didn't go on a passenger jet until 1986.

TightSlot
27th Aug 2013, 08:15

...And so the Hamster Wheel continues to rotate: There is nothing, repeat nothing in the modern world quite so intolerable as having to switch stuff off for 15 minutes.: Starvation, Global Water Shortage, Chemical Weapons are issues that apparently pale into insignificance next to the requirement to switch off an iPod.

FWIW, there was no initial problem with walkmans, however the arrival of the CD playing variety (supposedly non-transmitting) led to a noticeable surge in reported incidents. I have been involved in one such incident myself and quite literally seen the effects.

It is also worth mentioning that non transmitting devices nowadays such as mp3 players, digital cameras and ebook readers are in fact, usually, transmitting devices (if network ready).

The FAQ and Search functions are your friends.

darkroomsource
27th Aug 2013, 09:23
It has (had) nothing to do with whether the individual item transmits or receives, or if that item could or could not impact the flight instruments in any way.

It was because if any device could, then all devices had to be "banned" because it would be impossible for the flight crew to know which devices, models, versions, operating systems, etc., do and do not affect flight instruments.

So, once it was discovered that there was such a thing as a device which affected flight instruments, they all had to be banned. Years later, the ban is slowly being lifted as everyone realizes that today's equipment is different and does not interfere with flight instruments on today's airliners.

belfrybat
27th Aug 2013, 12:52
the CD playing variety (supposedly non-transmitting)

Because they're digital. Just like with the calculator above, the clock is a square wave, very rich in harmonics (multiples of the clock frequency). Some of those may interfere with sensitive equipment.

WHBM
27th Aug 2013, 15:05
My understanding has always been that EMF interference was secondary to the takeoff/landing procedure, this was to stop pax becoming totally immersed (as they seem to do even when walking along/across the street) in their beloved walkman, not listening to the safety briefing, and not being able to respond to or even hear sudden commands if an event happens during takeoff/landing.

In the same vein are those pax who talk loudly and/or hold up large broadsheet newspapers during the safety briefing.

I do often wonder how those who walk out across the street absorbed in their Walkman would cope with handling a light aircraft circuit single-handed, doing all the aspects of handling a turbulent approach, and keeping a lookout for other traffic, while keeping attention on hissy-scratchy static ATC for anything that might affect them, and getting their calls in on cue.

Mark in CA
28th Aug 2013, 14:09
I used a very early laptop (Radio Shack Model 100) on flights in 1983 without a problem. In fact, I was in first class sitting next to the manager of the TWA Ambassador lounge at BOS, who expressed interest in my computer, and just as I switched it on to show her how it worked, the plane banked sharply. Freaked me out for a moment until I realized the two events were unrelated. Never had a FA tell me to turn it off.

Not using devices during takeoff and landing may have as much to do with not wanting these objects flying around the cabin should an incident occur as it does with avoiding distraction.

ExXB
28th Aug 2013, 18:09
You mean like my 1.2kg hard cover Steve Jobs biography?

edi_local
28th Aug 2013, 21:34
Most of the Steve Jobs biographies don't have glass screens or metal components inside them, nor do they have a battery which could be quite hot depending on how long it's been on.

Not suggesting being hit by a 1.2kg book is a fun in flight activity, but there's no chance of that smashing glass shards in to my face.

Leftofcentre2009
28th Aug 2013, 22:13
I would say its a case of the Airlines wanting passengers to pay attention to the safety briefing and having a little respect for the FAs performing such demonstration.

When I pilot my light aircraft, I often leave my Iphone switched on. Indeed I have even been known to send a txt to persons on the ground during flight.

I also have RunwayHD software with external GPS running on my Ipad which I use for secondary navigation. This software is also installed on my iPhone as a further backup.

I have as yet, not experienced Radio Blackout/Transponder Failure/Gyro callapse or anything else for that matter.

jumpseater
28th Aug 2013, 22:51
I can recall using them as Pax during flights, without problem except for one incident, you were told to remove/turn them off whilst the safety brief was performed. I was on a US internal flight LA to Chicago when after depart I was told to take the headphones off until the seatbelt sign was off, which was a bit weird:ooh:, as by that time the hosties were starting the tartcart service.

Davef68
30th Aug 2013, 17:33
I can recall using a PDA (non-wifi capable) on flights to read e-books in the early 2000s, including during take off and landing, and not being asked to switch it off. It was usually just phones you were asked to turn off, then it became all portable electronic equipment. These days, I usually have to remember to carry something to read until I can switch my Kindle back on!!

It has killed the habit of people taking photos of their house out the windows!!

mixture
30th Aug 2013, 18:00
I also have RunwayHD software with external GPS running on my Ipad which I use for secondary navigation. This software is also installed on my iPhone as a further backup.

Aah.....a child of the magenta line. :E

Leftofcentre2009
31st Aug 2013, 18:18
And a child of the Tablet, Smart phone, World Wide Web, Microwave Oven and Digital Wrist Watch.....

.... not to mention Fly By Wire, High Bypass Gas Turbine Engines, Cat III Autoland, Alternate Law , and, err Run Flat Tyres :ok:

Sooo, are you one of Thatchers Children?

PAXboy
1st Sep 2013, 01:27
Good to know that a light aircraft, an iPad and an iPhone have stood in for an A380 with more than 500 people with all their phones and pads and RF radiating junk. :ok:

Leftofcentre2009
1st Sep 2013, 05:33
chuckle chuckle :ok:

Remember passengers - switch off that goddamn mobile/cell phone! 300 million worth of Avionics wont stand a chance and you will be doomed to a terrible, grizzly death.

ZFT
1st Sep 2013, 05:51
At the end of the day, whether or not consumer electronics causes any interference is immaterial. If the carrier’s rules state that you mustn’t use them, then that’s it.

I personally live in dread of the day when unrestricted use of mobiles is allowed and I’m not too impressed now with being bombarded with secondhand earphone ‘music’ screeching from my neighbouring passenger’s 21st century Walkman.

ExXB
1st Sep 2013, 07:34
ZFT, some airlines already permit use of phones in cruise, they actually facilitate it by providing PICO cells. Phones must be off for take-off and landing.

See: Emirates offers first mobile phone service onboard A380 Aircraft | Emirates United Arab Emirates (http://www.emirates.com/ae/english/flying/our_fleet/emirates_a380/news_and_events/emirates-offers-first-mobile-phone-service-onboard-a380-aircraft.aspx)

Funny, I haven't yet seen a complaint on this forum from a SLF who was bothered by other passengers LEGAL cell phone use. Not saying it doesn't happen but it appears to be not significant.

edi_local
2nd Sep 2013, 15:53
I was on 4 EK A380s in the space of 3 weeks over the summer. All of them stated they had the onAir feature but only on one of them was I actually able to use it (first leg, LHR-DXB).

I sent 1 text message for the novelty factor and that was it. The cost, for me anyway, was too prohibitive to use it in any meaningful way, not to mention I had nothing to say anyway. I suppose the vast majority of people on board wouldn't really use such a service due to high costs anyway.

ExXB
2nd Sep 2013, 17:12
I can remember when most aircraft had setback 'phones. Rarely used because of the cost, so they took them out again. I used them once, to call Hertz when our flight was diverted from Heathrow to Gatwick (Burger King fire in T1).

So, all the hysteria is mostly Jetwash.

Leftofcentre2009
3rd Sep 2013, 06:54
I'm sure ive been on a Ryanair flight at some point within the last 5 years that has had onAir or similar.

And didnt the Virgin A343's have phones in the armrest?