PDA

View Full Version : Spain Pilots

FLYMSY
24th Aug 2013, 14:48
Good day everyone. I am a US based pilot and just returned from vacation in Spain. We had a wonderful time staying with family, it had been a while since last visiting. I have dual citizenship but don't really use it for anything.

I was curious on the pilot situation in Spain. Of course, Iberia is the national airline which, as a child, I grew up wanting to work for. Air Europa was parked next to us, they seem to be doing well for the moment I guess.

So, how are things for pilots? I work for a good company here in the US although married to the right seat for a VERY, long time. Honestly I have no plans for change but would love to know how pilot life is at Iberia, Air Europa, etc. Schedules, pay, the like.

Hablo espanol pero cuando escribo me hago un lio! Please excuse me writing in English. If anyone would like to respond is Spanish I can read it very well.

My young girls fell in love with Spain as I did as a child. My cousins are having a very difficult time finding work and that is sad to see. Hopefully things turn around for everyone.

Gracias!

aviator901
24th Aug 2013, 16:32
Air Europa seems to be doing well. I saw this the other day:

Air Europa pilot jobs, payscales and entry requirements. (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Air_Europa)

Not a direct answer to your question though.. :hmm:

zondaracer
24th Aug 2013, 21:22
The good:

Spain is in a crisis and there are 3 to 4 million homes for sale on the market, so you can get a good deal right now.

The bad:
Spain is in a crisis...

There are a lot more pilots than jobs, not only that, but with the open EU/EEC work rules, you are not only applying for jobs against other Spaniards, but also the rest of Europe who are willing to move anywhere for a job. There are typically language criteria to get hired at a company, but people in countries such as France, Italy, and Portugal have a decent amount of Spanish speakers who are willing to move to Spain if the opportunity presents itself.

Then you look at companies like Norwegian and Air Berlin. Air Berlin has a base in Spain, but if you don't speak German, then that is another lost opportunity.

Spanair... went bust recently
Air Nostrum... did some pay cuts and consolidation last year
Iberia... hasn't hired in over 12 years
Iberia Express... was created using aircraft from Iberia in order to cut costs and start employees at the bottom of the wage scale (Gojets sound familiar?)
Vueling... they have a short hiring window each fall, I don't know exactly how many they hired last year but I heard between 30 and 60 pilots. They had 1300 applications in the first 48 hours.
Air Europa... I heard they are looking for typed F/Os this fall, but I can't confirm
Swift Air... P2F
Volotea... technically a Spanish company but with bases also in France and Italy, sounds like they prefer to hire those from the southern European countries. Pay didn't sound so great last I heard
Gestair and Gestair Cargo... don't know much
Helitt Lineas Aéreas... only 3 planes and they recently stopped flying any scheduled flights, now only charter

Overall, a lot of pilots, not many jobs to go around. I know a few who have gone overseas for work.

The truth:
1st, you will need to do the EASA conversion if this is something you want to do
2nd, I would say that you would have to be open to moving to anywhere in Europe, and not just limiting yourself to Spain. With the open borders and freedom of movement, this is how it works today
3rd, European carriers seem to prefer time on type, unlike the US where it is more about turbine time. You may even have to pay for your own type rating.

There are some threads on here about Vueling and Volotea if you do a search. Iberia Express will be folded into Vueling and branded as Vueling. Hope that helps.

EDIT: Read your history, looks like you are 737 typed? Check out Air Europa and Norwegian Air Shuttle. Norwegian actually had a direct entry captain hiring recently. You could check out ryanair as they have direct entry captain hiring and Spanish bases but I doubt you'd want to leave your current job for them.

Denti
25th Aug 2013, 14:39
Just one tiny correction: Air Berlin doesn't have a base in spain for the last, hmm, around three years or so. They used to have a base in PMI, however all flights there are managed by crew rotations out of germany, switzerland and austria these days.

FLYMSY
25th Aug 2013, 18:14
Everyone thank you for the quick and informative responses. I figured things were difficult in Spain with regards to flying, I just wasn't sure how much. My cousins are definitely hurting with the economy and it saddens me quite a bit.

My questions were more inquisitive on how things are over there compared to here in the US. I am stuck on the right seat but my airline is healthy and pays well. What are the salaries of Air Europa and such, similar to US?

Anyway, thank you and hopefully things change for the better for all of us. If I can answer any questions regarding US airlines, or anything in general, please do not hesitate to ask or PM.

Can't wait for my next visit. Lets see, pulpo, oreja, pisto, paella, jamon, you know, the good stuff! Sorry but I have never cared for callos! :-(

Cheers!

beachbumflyer
26th Aug 2013, 17:54
May be you didn't try callos a la gallega. Did you?

Pin Head
31st Aug 2013, 07:24
An agency is looking for 737 drivers to be based in Spain. Anyone know who this will be for? Bases?

coltrane
31st Aug 2013, 14:05
@ Pin Head,

This would most likely be for either Ryanair or Norwegian.

Current bases for Norwegian are Alicante, Las Palmas and Malaga with strong rumors about possibly BCN and MAD in the near future. FR bases, practically all over the country..