PDA

View Full Version : How are you gonna die..?

Cacophonix
24th Aug 2013, 00:24
Not a whimsical thought...!

Dribbling in some hospital..., bed pan up your fricking arse...

Gently next to you mistress... can you last.

Is this a morbid question?

Me, I am gonna do it having fun...!

How about you?

Motörhead -- The Game - YouTube

Caco

VH-UFO
24th Aug 2013, 01:13
Hope its not reading threads like this!

Cacophonix
24th Aug 2013, 01:25
Hope its not reading threads like this!

Shit I am with you on that one...

Caco

11Fan
24th Aug 2013, 04:12
Hopefully, like my Grandfather, in his sleep.

Not like the others who were in the car with him screaming as he drove off the side of a cliff.

http://howtomanup.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/wpid-car-flying-off-cliff.jpg?w=560

mikedreamer787
24th Aug 2013, 04:48
Getting shot in the back by an angry husband who catches me in the act.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/andreblais/andreblais0901/andreblais090100001/4077270-man-shooting-a-gun-focus-on-hands.jpg

Hey at least I know how I'm gonna go! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wibble.gif

Buster Hyman
24th Aug 2013, 05:49
Reading the final number on my winning lotto ticket...knowing my luck.

owen meaney
24th Aug 2013, 06:25
As my grand dad said, hanged for rape at 99 years old.... and be guilty.
And for all the PC brigade, that is a joke.

SASless
24th Aug 2013, 06:34
In my sleep....in my own bed...alone....will be the ultimate victory over Fate!

Lord knows I tempted Fate way too many times!

cavortingcheetah
24th Aug 2013, 06:50
In one previous life I was hanged, drawn and quartered and in another, killed as a small boy, tomahawked by Red Skins on the Indian prairies of the Wild West.
I've no reason therefore to look for anything other than a violent ending. I would though, prefer a short sharp shock rather than a long drawn out 21st century hospital pain. While Dignitas would be a fine and approved option; I fear the unwarranted attentions of one of the less desirable sort of immigrants with which Britain is soon to be infested. My family come from a distinguished lineage and count many vampire killers in our tree.

OFSO
24th Aug 2013, 07:15
I suspect that we have some of the undead posting on JB now and again. No names, but.....................

P.S. Cavorting, does one look for vampires in trees ? I know they can fly so I suppose if they get tired they might perch on branches.

UniFoxOs
24th Aug 2013, 07:56

Pretty much what the doc told me on my first ever pilot medical. I assumed it meant I was in good nick.

UFO

sitigeltfel
24th Aug 2013, 08:11
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly--high!

grumbles69
24th Aug 2013, 08:27
Mikedreamer 787

In jail after shooting the toe rag in the back for sh*%%ing my wife!! :eek:

Noah Zark.
24th Aug 2013, 10:02
P.S. Cavorting, does one look for vampires in trees ? I know they can fly so I suppose if they get tired they might perch on branches

Try looking UNDER branches! :)

Sunnyjohn
24th Aug 2013, 10:07
Well - I've given it a lot of thought and, based upon all the information I've assimilated so far, I think I'm most likely to die of death. Being a person of a non-religious persuasion, I do believe that death is the end and I'm rather fond of the idea of this chap (it may be a woman of course):

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/grim-reaper-1.jpg

Sir George Cayley
24th Aug 2013, 10:10
I'm with Woody Allen who said I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to be there when it happens

SGC

mikedreamer787
24th Aug 2013, 10:16
Sunny - if you'd like to meet the big GR I
suggest you start eating salmon mousse!

VP959
24th Aug 2013, 11:44
Pretty much what the doc told me on my first ever pilot medical. I assumed it meant I was in good nick.

UFO

I recall remarking to the doc who'd just given me my aircrew med that I looked forward to the reassurance given by this annual health "MOT". He replied "I don't want to disillusion you, but nothing we've done today would stop you from just dropping down dead as you walk out that door". Mind you, the doc in question was Surgeon Cdr Rick Jolly (at that time), a man known for having a curious sense of humour.

OFSO
24th Aug 2013, 11:54
just dropping down dead

See, that's what people forget. Get cleared 100% on your annual medical and step in front of a bus as you walk out the door. Or a cable carrying 220v ac frays under your jacuzi. Or you take a Spanish train or fly Asiana. Or you're picking something up off the floor and you wife's soufflé falls on your head. Or a photon hits a cell in your arm and bingo ! Melanoma.

It's all out there, waiting to get you.

But shot by a jealous husband - shot JUSTIFIABLY ! - by a jealous husband with an 18-year-old wife - now that has style.

cockney steve
24th Aug 2013, 14:28
How are you gonna die..?

Well, call me old-fashioned, but stopping breathing or one's heart stopping has proved to be 100% effective,over a considerable time and a large statistical sample. I guess that's how I'll croak. :}

er340790
24th Aug 2013, 14:47
When I turn 50 I'm planning to spend a positively filthy long weekend in Vegas with two 25-year old, moist, pink, highly experienced young ladies.

That will probably kill me dead. (With any luck!) :} :ooh: :}

SASless
24th Aug 2013, 14:56
But shot by a jealous husband - shot JUSTIFIABLY ! - by a jealous husband with an 18-year-old wife - now that has style.

But....to be proper....he must shoot you on the Rise!

Standard Noise
24th Aug 2013, 15:31
Don't much care as long as I'm penniless at the time, no point being the richest pile of ashes under a tree!

RJM
24th Aug 2013, 15:35
I just want to die happy, one way or another.

OFSO
24th Aug 2013, 18:39
When evaluating whether it would be worth dying consequent upon being shot by the neighbour's jealous husband: could this be the wife ? (I thought it was about time we had an illustration just to please the wraith of Slasher).

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/52_zps882fe8e11_zps7c7b63bd.jpg

moosp
24th Aug 2013, 18:53
As a young sprog in the North of England this poet had a good line on it. I shall hope to be part of the fourth stanza.

Let me die a youngman's death

not a clean and inbetween

the sheets holywater death

not a famous-last-words

peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73

and in constant good tumour

may I be mown down at dawn

by a bright red sports car

on my way home

from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91

with silver hair

and sitting in a barber's chair

may rival gangsters

with hamfisted tommyguns burst in

and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104

and banned from the Cavern

may my mistress

catching me in bed with her daughter

and fearing for her son

cut me up into little pieces

and throw away every piece but one

Let me die a youngman's death

not a free from sin tiptoe in

candle wax and waning death

not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'
what a nice way to go' death

Roger McGough

Shannon volmet
24th Aug 2013, 19:17
I reckon my last week on this earth will be spent in a hospital bed, having slaved my life away for f=$*k all! That's if we have any NHS hospital beds left by then!:uhoh:

VP959
24th Aug 2013, 19:36
The last place I want to die is in a hospital or hospice bed, following a long and drawn out final few weeks or months.

I've seen too many people live out their last days as an empty husk of their former selves, often in discomfort and pain (including my own father), and I rather hope that, when my time is up, that my friends and family will be able to have me humanely put to sleep, much as we would do with our much loved four legged friends.

An aviating friend died in a way that still makes me smile. A lifelong smoker he had terminal cancer, but still smoked. He decided to get up from his bed and have a smoke, and said to his wife "I'm just going to have a smoke", then paused, said "no I'm not" and passed away. I have fond memories of flying with him, as every flight was an adventure, just as his whole life had been.

Piper.Classique
24th Aug 2013, 20:33
Probably in a fast car or a slow aeroplane.

Airborne Aircrew
24th Aug 2013, 20:51
I'm guessing my heart will stop beating and my brain will finally give out for lack of oxygen. After that it's all pretty much academic...

OFSO
24th Aug 2013, 20:58
One of my colleagues had a mild heart attack just before Christmas, instantly into hospital (this was Germany), kept in a few days, released in time for the big very happy Christmas Dinner with family and friends. At the end of the meal, he leaned back with a smile on his face and closed his eyes. After a few seconds, someone said "look at Tony, he's gone to sleep".

No, he hadn't. Now that was the way to go I'd wish for everyone.

11Fan
24th Aug 2013, 21:14
....being suffocated by Miranda Kerr's ass.

Yes Cactusjack, but you may not hear the phone ring.

VP959
24th Aug 2013, 21:25
One of my colleagues had a mild heart attack just before Christmas, instantly into hospital (this was Germany), kept in a few days, released in time for the big very happy Christmas Dinner with family and friends. At the end of the meal, he leaned back with a smile on his face and closed his eyes. After a few seconds, someone said "look at Tony, he's gone to sleep".

OFSO, that's spooky, as the friend, whose death I related above, was also called Tony.

Sunnyjohn
24th Aug 2013, 21:31
I suggest you start eating salmon mousse!
I'm intrigued by this md787. Why?

OFSO
24th Aug 2013, 21:33
Spookier still is that my colleague Tony was also a smoker, never saw him when he wasn't smoking. But what a lovely way to die (if you HAVE to die, that is).

OFSO
24th Aug 2013, 21:36
I suggest you start eating salmon mousse!

The Meaning of Life, as I recall. The entire dinner party expires after eating salmon mousse. Death calls to take them away, ("Dahling ! there's some GHASTLY little man at the door - says he's called 'death' or something like that !" - "well, invite him in, then") and after some hassle they agree to go but not on foot, they drive off in the ghostly images of their 911, Mercedes and BMW.

Brilliant.

Sunnyjohn
24th Aug 2013, 21:46
The Grim Reaper (Cleese) visits an isolated country house, and finds himself invited into a dinner party. Not knowing who he is, the dinner guests spend a lot of time arguing with him before finally being told they've all died from eating contaminated salmon mousse.
Monty Python. Thanks OFSO.

BenThere
25th Aug 2013, 00:49
It's almost cliche among pilots to face death with cavalier homilies such as being shot by a jealous lover in their 90's.

The past few weeks have found me tending to my 94 year old mother, whose heart stopped a month ago, and spent two weeks in the hospital having a pacemaker installed, infinite tests conducted, knowing and acknowledging the end is coming, but facing it with a dignity, self-awareness, and courage that brings great pride to me.

She knows she is confused and not what she once was. She is gracious and grateful to my sister and me for watching out for her and spending all the time we can with her.

But she retains an indomitable will to live. I think her goal is to beat her older sister who died at 102. Her hazel eyes, though one is blinded by wet macular, still blaze with the focus provided by her always independent thought, conservative views, and staunch patriotism that she passed on to me.

This magnificent woman will fight to remain alive to her last breath. Though she has been reduced by the ravages of time, she never complains, but thinks about how she has to cope with every new challenge.

That's how I want to go, fighting. Forget the macho, romantic, sliding into home nonsense. Keep your dignity and don't surrender, ever.

Hydromet
25th Aug 2013, 02:02
The men in my father's line have a history of dying from sudden heart attacks in their 50s, while my mother's line usually succumb to some form of cancer in their late 80s or 90s. I suggested to a GP friend that I'd like to get the best of both worlds - sudden heart attack in my very old age. He suggested that Murphy would probably have his way.

mikedreamer787
25th Aug 2013, 03:10
I'm intrigued by this md787. Why?

Rk3bhyIaxSE

dubbleyew eight
25th Aug 2013, 03:46
one of the nurses I worked with said to me one day...

" you men you've always got sex on the mind. I attended a dying patient the other day who died with his hand up my dress."
"weren't you upset by that ?"
"well no. he wasnt going anywhere with it. I knew he'd actually died when his hand fell away."

to die with your hand caressing a beautiful woman's arse.......

NG_Kaptain
25th Aug 2013, 04:12
"Or when I'm 104

and banned from the Cavern

may my mistress

catching me in bed with her daughter

and fearing for her son

cut me up into little pieces

and throw away every piece but one"

The only way.

Perhaps on a beach, smoking a cigarette, drinking rum with a young latina.

Earl
25th Aug 2013, 04:29
Strange,, on Friday,
Was on my bike, woman turned in front of me, road was wet, lucky I was able go around her.
Old one talking on cell phone not paying attention.
Sure wish they would ban talking on cell and driving, not just teens doing this.
After returning home thought what if that had been it.
50 mph on a Harley, no helmet, not that would have helped me anyway.
Would just have to accept, slide into it, look up and say thanks God, I have had a great life, no complaints.
Better that way than slow death in some hospital from some terminal illness.

crippen
25th Aug 2013, 04:32
Haven't decided yet!! Plenty of time according to this:-

https://www.livingto100.com/

:)

GrumpyOldFart
25th Aug 2013, 05:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

Earl
26th Aug 2013, 04:18
411 went out that way.
I flew with him many times at other airlines,
Many hated him here on pprune as he could wind ones up tighter than 2 usd thai watch.
Was one of the best captains around with the tristar.
He left here the best way i think, cigar and drink in hand.
Hope we all get this choice when that time comes.

priapism
26th Aug 2013, 04:30
How am I going to die???? . Probably in front of my laptop whilst mid post on ppr.......................................

priapism
26th Aug 2013, 04:34
Seriously though - I'd like to go like Sir Billy !
The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Stay in Touch (http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/2006/09/achievements.html)

West Coast
26th Aug 2013, 05:09
As I fly for a living, and the most dangerous part of flying is the drive to and from the airport, I predict a head on collision with something really hard.

A car crash is a damn high price to pay to be a pilot.

Earl
26th Aug 2013, 05:33
Try riding to airport on a bike putting on epelets and tie.
Thinking you are ok.
Walk through the terminal, go to the known crew jump seat line.
then they pull you to the side,
On;y to say you left your zipper down ha ha.
Now thats worse than death ha ha.
And I was thinking those women thought I was stud !

alisoncc
26th Aug 2013, 10:05
Either something catastrophic - sudden unexpected end, or by my own hand. Any prospect of ending up in a vegetative gives me the horrors. Not going to happen.

airship
26th Aug 2013, 17:09
Maybe, it'll never happen?! In 15-20 years' time, perhaps "modern medicine" will indeed grow me a new liver, heart or whatever else I need (but going by historical evidence, not very much has been accomplished "for ordinary folk" apart from the discovery of penicillin some decades ago)...? :rolleyes: Those who can afford to pay for the most advanced treatments (or even the most basic dental treatments unavailable on their NHS or French including crowns and permanent dentures :} ) might think differently though.

Whatever, I believe that at an early stage (perhaps aged merely 120 years old or so), I'd have already got quite fed-up with sharing the planet with all the other peeps. Never understood techno and the rest, imagine having neighbours who intend playing it and making you listen to it for the next 1,000 years...?

NON. If one day, I grow so old and become so invalid as to require the continuous aid of a 3rd person (not family), then I hope I shall have access to a simple "pill" to make matters right. However, I have severe doubts as to whether any government or society will have "the balls" to offer this easy solution. Instead, they will pack us all off into "special institutions". The meals will be served by robots, other robots will clean our arses afterwards. We'll have 2 hours access to PPRuNe / JetBlast each day (but all our posts will be pre-faced "OAP"...). Our (my) eventual demise will be because of a "glitch" in the Microsoft software controlling the robots. I was left to lie in my own faeces, unfed, for 2 weeks before a supervisor in Indonesia sounded the alarm.

Therefore, I would like a natural death insofar as possible. Not like the sickly adult elephant I once saw in a wildlife documentary. Finally brought down by a pride of lions, the agony lasting for several hours... :\

If it's summertime, perhaps I'd have the strength to climb up into the French Alps, find a suitable bush and then let nature take its' course. To die peacefully and more or less painlessly. Food perhaps for a wolf-pack when "gone". Otherwise, why not save the few "Great-White" sharks still frequenting the Mediterranean Sea? We've taken away all the seals, even the tuna most recently. I imagine an "enclosure" of some sort, perhaps anchored offshore Monaco, as part of that Principality's efforts to safe-guarding marine species, where they're fed with chicken and pig carcasses: "Are you ready for your final swim Monsieur airship?" "I am" I reply meekly, before taking the plunge.

"The bugger just chomped off my right leg" I shout, followed by "left leg and right-arm now". "Is anyone listening? The bugger is trying to tell me that chomping me up piece-meal is his response to the slaughter of smaller sharks whose fins are cut-off whilst still alive and thrown over-board to an agonising death". Well thank you humanity, there I was looking for a rapid death, torso chomped off, max. 30-160 seconds of agony before the endorphins kicked in... :{

vulcanised
26th Aug 2013, 17:35
If it turns out I get to do a DIY job, then a polythene bag over my head, taped around my neck, and lie back thinking of.......

Haven't decided on that last bit yet.

mikedreamer787
26th Aug 2013, 17:51
Actually Mr Ship raises an interesting point - do we each have
a built-in alarm clock that goes off when we've had a gutful of
life, people, the world, and just want to sod off?

If we take both ends of a general spectrum, old rich buggers
will find death a hell of a bloody inconvenience while no doubt
the poorer downtrodden buggers would find it a relief. So if
such an inbuilt alarm exists, its probably safe to assume it'd be
directed by environment rather than genetic/biological.

Case 1 - A relative of mine reached 75 and said he'd had enough
and staying in bed till he pegs out (and he did). He lived till 78.
He was an ordinary but successful middle class pleb, came home
every day with dirt on his hands, had a reasonable nest-egg after
retirement at 65. Pottered around gardening and all that other shit
crumblies do. He was contented with his lot till he threw up his
arms just after his 75th and said he'd had a bellyful.

Case 2 - The missus's grandfather (Thai) was still actively working
apparently at 75. He quit his trade at 80. Then on he had a simple
but great life running his palm oil farm. Then bang - at 90 he sold
off everything and distributed the proceeds to his rellies but nothin
for himself, asking that they look after him till he falls of his perch,
which he did at 92 through natural causes. No real reason given for
his sudden decision, but he did become a bit of a recluse.

In both cases these blokes weren't in debt over their heads, weren't
off their rocker, had good families and generally no real health probs.
Its as if they'd suddenly had enough of life and didn't want any more
of it.

If true then a very long life life span isn't cracked up to what its seen
to be. No deals with the devil for me in that respect!

OFSO
26th Aug 2013, 18:09
This thread has taken a morbid turn, but I wonder whether JB-ers think it's better to terminate oneself quickly with no chance of second thoughts, or slowly to give onself the chance of pulling back from the abyss ?

Certainly I would never choose jumping off a tall building, cliff etc., because this combines the worst of both - setting into motion an inevitable end to one's life while still allowing time to wish one hadn't but be unable to do anything about it.

rgbrock1
26th Aug 2013, 18:14
OFSO wrote:

Certainly I would never choose jumping off a tall building, cliff etc., because this combines the worst of both - setting into motion an inevitable end to one's life while still allowing time to wish one hadn't but be unable to do anything about it.

Well, you can always bring a parachute with you, when jumping off a tall building or cliff. This way, with second thoughts you can always pull the rip chord. :}

dubbleyew eight
26th Aug 2013, 18:18
my father gave me an amazing lecturing one day.

"its bloody alright for you, you don't face the terror of having years and years of empty days ahead. Imagine waking up each morning realising that there is nothing but days and days of empty nothing ahead...."
this was a lecture about 5 years before he died in his mid 80's.

none of us have ever actually understood the mental hole he was in.
I still don't.

mikedreamer787
26th Aug 2013, 18:24
Its hard work doing absolutely nothing every day W8.

OFSO
26th Aug 2013, 18:31
you can always bring a parachute with you, when jumping off a tall building or cliff.

One of the instructors at the drop zone here killed herself after being jilted two years ago. She fixed her canopy so it wouldn't open. A complicated way to ensure one's death.

rgbrock1
26th Aug 2013, 18:35
When my time comes around I hope I die being hypnotized.

http://insidejimmydevioushead.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/big-boobs-cleavage.jpg

mikedreamer787
26th Aug 2013, 18:41
Or suffocated! :E

rgbrock1
26th Aug 2013, 18:45
Suffocation in this case would suit me just fine, mikedreamer. Just fine indeed.

Hydromet
26th Aug 2013, 22:48
Suffocation in this case would suit me just fine, mikedreamer. Just fine indeed.
Sorry RGB, but don't you think you'd be tempted to take big breaths?

Cacophonix
26th Aug 2013, 22:53
Pneumatic asphyxiation ...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZTxOgaF5-g

Caco

con-pilot
26th Aug 2013, 23:04
Okay, read all the replies, some good, some funny and some sadly true.

So, I've made my decision. Quite simple really.

I'll just not die, I will just live forever, even if I die trying.

Yes, I stole that from the book, 'Catch 22. :p

11Fan
26th Aug 2013, 23:39
Con,

You are awarded two M&M Enterprise Coupons for that last submission.

Fantome
27th Aug 2013, 00:22
Thank you VP and Ben and Earl. Cracker posts , copied below for those whose time is running out so fast they can't be sure of a thorough check back into this lively thread. Or be bothered.

A funny old fella was Harry. He had the drollest of mordant humours. He flew with Kingsford Smith and was known personally to a few round here. That was in the 60s and 70s in Central Australia. Not long before he hung up his flying spurs. He said for years he would be quite content with 'three score and ten'. And sure enough the bugger went and pegged out aged 70. His widow used to say later - "Oh Harry sung himself you know." (that is a reference connected with aboriginal custom such as "pointing the bone" and being "sung" by the kadaika.)

She had a couple of choice little stories about Harry's final days when the cancer was slowly consuming him. Once, when they were driving back home from the hospital, Harry sees this young ball of muscle (which he was once himself) pounding along beside the road . He turns to the wife and says -
"Run that bastard over. No one deserves to be that fit"

And passing the cemetary he says to her -

"Look .. all them bones . . . . AND NO PAIN."

But the best perhaps is how he, with a twinkle in his, looked her in the eye as she lifted him from the bed to the commode, and said -

"May I have this dance?"

VALE GHP (Author of 'Outback Airman')

p.s. although the more pythonesque of my kids say dementia has already set in, if I start to lose my mind I want to be able to choose to go out peacefully by my own hand. A lot of people have this wish, or have had, but most of those able to act successfully on it would not be recorded in the statistics. Or anywhere. Except within the thoughts of those who were closest.

p.p.s. VP . . . your late colleague Tony sounds a most memorable person. Any chance you can drag a few memories of him out of your memory bank, and maybe PM me? I will send you one or two I've put down over the years of reminisce. Like Tales of Chris Braund. (A l.l.l.l.legend in his own l.l.l.l lunch-box.) .

Thinks. . .. "put down" . The dog? The cat? The old man? The former wife's most common form of address.

VP959

The last place I want to die is in a hospital or hospice bed, following a long and drawn out final few weeks or months.

I've seen too many people live out their last days as an empty husk of their former selves, often in discomfort and pain (including my own father), and I rather hope that, when my time is up, that my friends and family will be able to have me humanely put to sleep, much as we would do with our much loved four legged friends.

An aviating friend died in a way that still makes me smile. A lifelong smoker he had terminal cancer, but still smoked. He decided to get up from his bed and have a smoke, and said to his wife "I'm just going to have a smoke", then paused, said "no I'm not" and passed away. I have fond memories of flying with him, as every flight was an adventure, just as his whole life had been.

BenThere

It's almost cliche among pilots to face death with cavalier homilies such as being shot by a jealous lover in their 90's.

The past few weeks have found me tending to my 94 year old mother, whose heart stopped a month ago, and spent two weeks in the hospital having a pacemaker installed, infinite tests conducted, knowing and acknowledging the end is coming, but facing it with a dignity, self-awareness, and courage that brings great pride to me.

She knows she is confused and not what she once was. She is gracious and grateful to my sister and me for watching out for her and spending all the time we can with her.

But she retains an indomitable will to live. I think her goal is to beat her older sister who died at 102. Her hazel eyes, though one is blinded by wet macular, still blaze with the focus provided by her always independent thought, conservative views, and staunch patriotism that she passed on to me.

This magnificent woman will fight to remain alive to her last breath. Though she has been reduced by the ravages of time, she never complains, but thinks about how she has to cope with every new challenge.

That's how I want to go, fighting. Forget the macho, romantic, sliding into home nonsense. Keep your dignity and don't surrender, ever.

Earl

Strange,, on Friday,
Was on my bike, woman turned in front of me, road was wet, lucky I was able go around her.
Old one talking on cell phone not paying attention.
Sure wish they would ban talking on cell and driving, not just teens doing this.
After returning home thought what if that had been it.
50 mph on a Harley, no helmet, not that would have helped me anyway.
Would just have to accept, slide into it, look up and say thanks God, I have had a great life, no complaints.
Better that way than slow death in some hospital from some terminal illness.

Mr Optimistic
27th Aug 2013, 00:37
You will die with regrets, just as every human being has died before you. Trick is not to die in pain or humiliation. Or as the consequence of an unstabilised approach or inappropriate response to a stall warning.....

The_hippie
29th Aug 2013, 15:36
Of an aneurism (sp?), in a council bungalow, smelling of pee with my Jack Russell at my side....

I just need a dog, a bungalow and to let my personal hygiene slip. :}

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 15:48
Of an aneurism (sp?), in a council bungalow, smelling of pee with my Jack Russell at my side....

Now there's something to aspire to. :}

Me? I'm going to die in the midst of having hot, passionate, sloppy, horny sex with two boobs wrapped around my face and I'm gonna ride that wave until I drop dead. :ok::ok::ok:

mikedreamer787
29th Aug 2013, 16:34
Without getting shot in the back by her angry other half?

Its quicker, cleaner, less embarrassing for her, and you'll
be buried with a permanent smile on your face! :)

rgbrock1
29th Aug 2013, 16:43
Actually, mikedreamer, I was thinking of someone a little closer to home!!!! :}:ok:

mikedreamer787
30th Aug 2013, 03:20
The mind boggles! :E

onetrack
30th Aug 2013, 05:11
Everyone should read this womans blog and book - written by a highly experienced palliative care nurse ...

Inspiration and Chai - The Top Five Regrets of the Dying (http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html)

I would like to die comfortably and cheerfully, with no regrets. I know the chances of it happening are pretty remote. I try every day to ensure I live with as little regret, and minimal bitterness, as possible.

My dear old Auntie who lived to 94 gave me some great advice once. She said, "As you age, you either get bitter, or you get better. Make sure you get better".

Death is something we all have to face, and 99.99% of the people in this world don't even want to think about it.
Some of us get a lot of time to face it - others get 0.07 secs to see it coming. I'd like to think I'll get some time to face it, and meet it with dignity.

ExSp33db1rd
30th Aug 2013, 05:36
Don't much care as long as I'm penniless at the time, no point being the richest pile of ashes under a tree!

You came into the World with nothing, if you go out in debt you've made a profit !

My dear old Auntie who lived to 94...........

My dear old Auntie who lived to 94 said she was going to die of butter. ( I think she actually choked on an apple.)

mikedreamer787
30th Aug 2013, 05:45
Slightly off topic but I reckon Mike Douglas should take care
what he eats!

The 68-year-old actor claimed his throat cancer
might have derived from contracting the sexually
transmitted disease through giving oral sex.

Douglas HPV confession ruined marriage (http://my.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/douglas-hpv-confession-ruined-marriage-203000886.html)

And CZJ was on my "To Do (and do well!) Before I Die" list. :(

The_hippie
30th Aug 2013, 12:13
I try to be realistic! :}

The SSK
30th Aug 2013, 15:17
I shall probably peg out doing this (pic from yesterday evening)

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/TheSSK/8bapteme2_zps2fa7f80a.jpg

Probably 5km from the club, my crewmates will have to row my deadweight all the way back. Then tell the wife. Only regret - I'll miss out on that post-outing beer.

G-CPTN
1st Sep 2013, 01:36
My first attempt to kill myself was in a 'sportscar' (actually a track car) in 1966 - a mechanical failure.

My second attempt was in a roadcar in (about) 1975. My fault - I didn't see the oncoming vehicle "He wasn't there!" - but I still hit him.

My third attempt (also in a roadcar) was in (about) 1984. Not really my fault, apart from the fact that I was unable to avoid a vehicle that had crashed with another and was catapulted across the carriageway directly into my path. It was dark and the crash happened on a corner on a dual carriageway so I wasn't expecting to be confronted with an oncoming vehicle and a partially blocked carriageway.

My fourth was a medical emergency that I thought was a heart attack (whilst I was driving) in 1989. It turned out to be a lung 'collapse' (there was no vehicle crash - I was able to stop and seek help at a Little Chef from where I was taken to A&E by ambulance (blues and twos) on oxygen. I thought at the time that it was final.
After three further major medical incidents requiring hospitalisation I eventually had the lung removed (at which stage the condition was acute and serious and it really was a matter of life or death).

My fifth was a calculated plan to take my own life. I changed my mind 'seconds' before the point of no return (which would have simply been to step off the tree where I was perched with the rope around my neck).

Since then I regularly assess my situation (almost daily), and, so far, the decision to keep going outweighs the choice of an end to it all.
The reasons for survival currently outweigh those against, even though at three-score years plus ten I have achieved my allotted time.
I reckon that my purpose on Earth has been accomplished (I've procreated and my offspring have established their independent lives and themselves procreated - isn't that the reason for our existence?).

Unless circumstances change drastically, I will carry on (living) on a day-to-day basis until 'normal causes' intervene or an 'accident' occurs.
I no longer drive what some described as dangerously (I concentrate on economy rather than speed).

MD83FO
1st Sep 2013, 03:11
it's not you who dies, it's the world that ends.

LASJayhawk
1st Sep 2013, 04:54
With my luck, I'll drop dead 10 seconds before Kate Upton beds me. :uhoh:

dubbleyew eight
1st Sep 2013, 05:02
perfect end isnt it. totally unaware it is occurring.
full of the joy of expectation of Kate Upton.

beware of what you wish for....

airship
2nd Sep 2013, 18:21
G-CPTN wrote: My fifth was a calculated plan to take my own life. I changed my mind 'seconds' before the point of no return (which would have simply been to step off the tree where I was perched with the rope around my neck).

Please do "reassess your situation on a daily-basis" G-CPTN if you feel so inclined. But you should know that you're one of my most favourite and respected contributors to JB.

"Sunkmanitu Tanka Ob Waci" - dances with wolves (most beautiful scene) - YouTube

Your time is your own. But know that you're never without a friend here. And I (we in JB) are always better off with your presence, expertise and experience of many subjects. When the pain gets too much, to become unbearable, then maybe, we'll let you go, but not before...?! :)

G-CPTN
2nd Sep 2013, 18:46
But you should know that you're one of my most favourite and respected contributors to JB.
Thank-you.

Mike X
2nd Sep 2013, 19:14
Oui, Airship, je t'aime aussi !

Whatever, the need to be is all.

Although, it isn't difficult to end it all. Some good benzos and vodka - respiratory arrest - peaceful.

Keep it coming.

wings folded
2nd Sep 2013, 20:10
The SSK

Dying from a stroke? Shift back (or forward; depends on your point of view) a seat or two. There is only one stroke per boat as I am sure you know.

What use is age if not to become more clever?

gingernut
2nd Sep 2013, 22:06
Sorry, not read anything other than Post 1, but it is important to plan ahead.

Some boring facts: 1% of us will die in the next year (UK), and 100% of us will die eventually. I know it's morbid, but never to early to have that conversation... Dying Matters | (http://dyingmatters.org/)

OFSO
2nd Sep 2013, 22:09
Depression isn't an uncommon ailment in the submarine service. I knew of a matelot who became so depressed with his life after consuming some rum (this was in the old days) that he fastened a rope to a pipe overhead and jumped off the wardroom table, breaking both ankles. But not, however, his neck.

(Anyone who has done time in the service will understand this).

G-CPTN
2nd Sep 2013, 22:19
Depression isn't an uncommon ailment in the submarine service.
Those who serve in submarines must, indeed, be queer fish - it takes a special outlook to be content with being cooped-up (or down) in a vessel beneath the waves.

Most people would refuse, so you either need to be bi-polar or a highly optimistic personality.

goudie
2nd Sep 2013, 22:53
Contemplating suicide is something that never entered my head, until 16 years ago, when I was diagnosed with bowel cancer. The prognosis was 'if the operation and chemo isn't succsessful you'll have about a year to live'.
Leading up to the op I fell asleep at night going through the various and least painful methods of suicide, ( bottle of scotch and paracetamol seemed favourite) as I had no intention becoming a 6 stone skeleton before being consumed by the disease. Luckily the op was successful and chemo wasn't even necessary.
If I'm honest I probably wouldn't have had the guts to commit suicide, but at the time I found comfort in knowing I could take control of my destiny.
Needless to say, since then, I enjoy and value, every day of my life.

mikedreamer787
2nd Sep 2013, 23:50
Didn't this thread suddenly turn morbid.

You got me depressed now! :(

goudie
2nd Sep 2013, 23:55
You got me depressed now!

Write/read a limerick, that'll cheer you up!

mikedreamer787
2nd Sep 2013, 23:59
The current one being with OFSO in tights?

Not yet mate! :\

Just noticed he's into slot cars...

OFSO
3rd Sep 2013, 10:03
No, he isn't !

But returning to submarines . I am one of G-CPTN's special outlook folk and I always feel secure when the hatch is closed and secured. Same on train and plane. And at night my head is usually under the covers....

Wonder what that says about my personality and my feelings towards the "outside world" ?

Later: I've been sitting on the lav thinking about what I wrote above. I suspect that in the nearly 70 years since I emerged from the womb I've been evaluating what I found outside, and basically don't care for it. So like the Krikkiters, I wish it would all go away. Since it won't - every morning as I crawl out of bed, it's all there, as unlovely as it was the night before - I try to hide it from me. And did I tell you all the diodes down my left side are acheing ?

rgbrock1
3rd Sep 2013, 14:54
G-CPTN wrote:

I reckon that my purpose on Earth has been accomplished (I've procreated and my offspring have established their independent lives and themselves procreated - isn't that the reason for our existence?).

No, your purpose on Earth has not yet been accomplished. Although your procreating and producing offspring is admirable, you have yet to leave your complete mark in the hearts and minds of those you hold most dear. Until such time, your purpose on Earth continues. Now, continue on.

OFSO
3rd Sep 2013, 15:54
your complete mark in the hearts and minds of those you hold most dear.

Now rg, settle one thing: are these *complete marks* positive or negative ? I mean, when you or I have gone, is it acceptable if someone says, "yes old ---, he was a complete and utter bastard".

I s'pose either way, better than you being forgotten five minutes after expiring.

rgbrock1
3rd Sep 2013, 16:09
OFSO:

I would guess it would be preferable that the "complete marks" be of the positive type. For some that might not be feasible so being remembered as a real prick might suit them well!

OFSO
3rd Sep 2013, 17:01
so being remembered as a real prick

One recollects that a former PM of the United Kingdom decided to have himself circumcised in order to ingratiate himself with the Jewish comunity, but after an examination the mohel said he couldn't do it - because "there is no end to this prick".

mikedreamer787
3rd Sep 2013, 17:59
Sorry OFSO I meant the limerickers currently
had you in slot cars. :\

My wife once asked me whether I wanted to
buried or burnt when I fall of my perch. So I
said after I snuff it I don't really care because
I'll be oblivious to everything so do what you
like. All I ask is if you decide to bung my arse
6 feet under, then PLEASE no frigging statues
or massive bloody headstones. Just put a rock
as a headstone that says me name and me birth
and death dates.

When I see these graves with huge statues of
angels weeping and other expensive bits and
pieces I think what a waste - death is the Great
Leveller of Men. A rich bastard will rot exactly
the same way as a poor bugger will (and the
worms aren't particular AFAIK). And by what
purpose does having such expensive nonsense
built by the buryers serve the buryee? Ego? One
has no ego after death - because one is as dead
as a fence post. One is remembered by the acts
one did during one's lifetime and not by fancy
graves.

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2013, 22:58
G-C, sounds like you once descended into the same pit that I crawled out of on Wednesday night. Black dog, and all that. Heck, I wish I hadn't scrapped that post, it said a lot about that dark place.

Wives. That's the problem. All the rest would be a doddle.

Us in the Austin office. It's our 25th anniversary, and all looks fine. Never another party involved, but just becoming different people. Well, I didn't, and perhaps that was the problem. Heck, why would anyone as perfect as me need to mature? Another 23 years and it's all happening again. This one aint going to get better. I'll probably delete this when I'm sober. Duly deleted.

My dad's van - a while before I met him for the first and only time in my adult life. He survived having his head punched through the steering wheel, because a nurse came down that lane on a bicycle, and shortly after, a tree felling crew on a lorry with all the gear came around the corner. He died not that many years later of cancer. To me, that seems to be saying something.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Family/DadsVan.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/walnaze/media/Family/DadsVan.jpg.html)

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2013, 23:31
Yes, Loose, I've read my previous state into your recent expressions, and felt that I should tell you that I've been there and done that . . .

Today I've been handling freshwater crayfish (the native white-clawed ones, not the invasive American signal type). Despite my age I was unaware that these were extant in the waters near where I grew up and now live. At my age there is still much that I can learn!

One is remembered by the acts one did during one's lifetime and not by fancy graves.
Ain't that the truth, Jimmy Savile ?

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2013, 00:42
Went to another classmate's funeral yesterday. Lovely it was. Grahame Oxborrow. 5th generation of the family running The Forge in the village. Sat in class with him, and he let me use his ramp when I couldn't get under the darn car anymore. It was held in my favorite church: St Michael's church at Kirby-le-Soken Essex.

A lifetime ago I sat in there with my mum - just the two of us - such a total and complete silence I had to go out for a while. She was facing up to being alone for the rest of her life in postwar Britain. I didn't fully understand. I certainly understand now. The place brought her comfort, and these days, it's my favorite place on Earth. I always go there when I'm 'home.' Something magical hidden in that old stonework.

Cacophonix
4th Sep 2013, 00:47
Loose if you haven't begged a girl to come back to you, on your knees, in the wheat fields near Fyfield in Essex then you are a more dignified man than me...:ok:

Caco

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2013, 16:31
On bended knees in a wheat-field is something I will not do. It's the stubble you know - plays havoc with one's nadgers.

Erm, why Fyfield?

airship
4th Sep 2013, 17:28
G-CPTN wrote: One is remembered by the acts one did during one's lifetime and not by fancy graves. . And even that would have required an "all-awakening" God (or at least disciples who were awake whilst their own "God" slept...?!

I don't really believe that many (especially those attending funerals), (will) remember those who've departed for any significant period of time.

If one truly wishes to encourage "the World" and descendents (or even common folk) to some form of reverence, the best I could suggest is to build a new pyramid or even a new Taj Mahal, neither of which would be possible, unless you were an important share-holder of Microsoft or some Russian or Chinese Oligarch these days. And certainly not politcally-correct... IMHO?

However, I remain quite assured that all the cats I've ever fed wherever, all the birdies I've regularly left some grains for on my balcony etc., do know who they're dealing with. In the great scheme of things, it's not so much who supplies the largesse. But for how long it continues (so far as our fellow creatures are concerned (they're shooting badgers in UK today fer 'Chris 'sake). Farmers can do this. And as a group mainly accomplish whatever they decided upon. Why?

Why not?! Politicians cosy up to them seeking votes. Badgers have no vote.

PS. Please inform me (PM me) when Luke Skywalker & Co eventually arrives here on planet Earth (unless the Alien gets here first)...?! :{

vulcanised
4th Sep 2013, 17:41
I don't really believe that many (especially those attending funerals), (will) remember those who've departed for any significant period of time.

Well, if no-one's going to remember me I'm not bloodywell going !

airship
4th Sep 2013, 17:48
As an Ozzie might say, "Good on ya. Don't let anyone get you down."

So, keep going...?! :ok:

rgbrock1
4th Sep 2013, 17:58
someone wrote:

I don't really believe that many (especially those attending funerals), (will) remember those who've departed for any significant period of time.I'm not quite sure who wrote this - I have an idea though - but that statement is a large pile of stinking horse shit.

My mother, for example, departed this here blue planet 10 years ago. I remember her quite often.

My sister departed 25 years ago. I remember her often.

My father departed this earth 3 years ago. I remember him often as well.

People who were important to us in our lives live on in our hearts and minds. That is how they continue to "exist." To not remember them is to do them a disservice, at least, and is rather disrespectful.

So to the statement above I loudly say: bullshit.

airship
4th Sep 2013, 19:50
rgbrock1 wrote: I'm not quite sure who wrote this - I have an idea though - but that statement is a large pile of stinking horse shit. Yeah, so, is airship on your ignore list or do you just pretend he is...?!

I was going to explain myself, especially in view of your last post concerning the loss of your sister, mother and father most recently. :sad:

But I'm getting old. At this time of year, I see so many carcasses of young cats on the roads. Each one of which might have been a valuable companion for someone.

I've seen how, in spite of Myanmar's (or because of) their recently-won freedoms, the most recent Burmese monks' activities and their efforts to attack their fellow Muslim citizens. Perhaps the Dalai Lama might have something to say (if he were not already retired)...?! :zzz:

It's in all our interests to encourage other countries (the more the better)to adopt policies allowing freedom of expression etc., because in our own 1st World countries, those rights are being eroded constantly, even as the rain falls.

er340790
4th Sep 2013, 20:07
KBO, as Winston used to say....

(Keep Buggering On) ;)

VP959
4th Sep 2013, 20:12
RGB wrote:
someone wrote:

Quote:
I'm not quite sure who wrote this - I have an idea though - but that statement is a large pile of stinking horse shit.

My mother, for example, departed this here blue planet 10 years ago. I remember her quite often.

My sister departed 25 years ago. I remember her often.

My father departed this earth 3 years ago. I remember him often as well.

People who were important to us in our lives live on in our hearts and minds. That is how they continue to "exist." To not remember them is to do them a disservice, at least, and is rather disrespectful.

So to the statement above I loudly say: bullshit.

Hear! Hear!

My dad died over 40 years ago, but I don't think a week goes by when I don't think about him.

I can't see a red kite flying overhead without remembering my uncle, who's farm I spent happy summers working on as a lad.

The same goes for many friends and family who've died, they are all remembered from time to time, sometimes fondly, sometimes less so (it's OK in my book to remember people's bad points, too, after they're dead).

500N
4th Sep 2013, 20:14
Re "When I see these graves with huge statues of
pieces I think what a waste"

We have a large Greek, Italian, Maltese etc population here in Aus,
especially in Melbourne.

EVERY cemetery has huge monoliths made out of marble and other
expensive stones.

Go to an old country cemetery, normally just head stones.

rgbrock1
4th Sep 2013, 20:17
VP959:

Interesting what you wrote about a red kite flying and the association you have with it.

For me, and this might sound a bit sappy, it's a butterfly. Now, I don't go around admiring butterflies nor do i try to catch them in a net. I don't buy butterfly books nor do I visit the butterfly house in the Bronx Zoo.

But my mother thoroughly loved butterflies. She had butterfly brooches, butterfly this and butterfly that. So whenever I see one buzzing about I am reminded of my mother. Always.

rgbrock1
4th Sep 2013, 20:27
someone wrote:

Re "When I see these graves with huge statues of
pieces I think what a waste"

Again, don't know who wrote this but a usual suspect/perpetrator comes to mind.

I've seen a very big monument in the capital city here in the U.S.
Said monument was built in memory, and honor, of George Washington. I do not at all think that monument is a waste. i think it's very fitting that he has such a monument. (Ditto the monument for Thomas Jefferson.)

500N
4th Sep 2013, 20:53
"mikedreamer787" wrote that quote.

It is in middle of his post at the top of the same page as my post.

500N
4th Sep 2013, 20:56
rgb

Washington and Jefferson are not your average people.

What I was trying to get across is it seems to be a culture thing,
hence highlighting the cultures here in Aus that do it where as
White Anglo Saxon's of earlier times didn't.

Loose rivets
4th Sep 2013, 21:21
Now there are people who while in the late stages of their lives, turn their backs on their relatives - no doubt out of plain old-fashioned fear. Pour all the money into a church, that should do it.

Mind you. I like this dedication.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/PpruNe/Ooopnorth27_zps3a37b218.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/walnaze/media/PpruNe/Ooopnorth27_zps3a37b218.jpg.html)

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2013, 22:03
Earlier this year I attended the Roman Catholic funeral and burial of an ex-workmate.

The area of the graveyard was 'awash' with exorbitant ornate monuments erected by members of the traveller community. Many exceeded the dimensions of a small car and were obviously expensive.

gingernut
4th Sep 2013, 22:19
The "average" GP will lose about 1% of his or her population a year.

About 5 will die of cancer, 5-6 of "organ failure," about 8 will die of "frailty"

Sorry to spoil any illusions, but only 1 or 2 of us will go in a blaze of glory!

More here.... http://www.sheffield.nhs.uk/eolc/resources/8%20-%20Prognostic%20Indicator%20Guidance%20%20Final%20Sept%20201 1.pdf

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2013, 22:32
Sheffield, maybe, but things are different in Liverpool:-
Liverpool Care Pathway for the Dying Patient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_Care_Pathway_for_the_Dying_Patient)

gingernut
4th Sep 2013, 22:43
The LCP is a slightly different thing, it's involved with caring for people in the last few days of life, and has been the subject of much criticism. I think that elaborating on this further maybe a little futile for me :ugh:

The GSF guidance is about accurately identifying those people in their last year of life. We know that if we do that successfully, then we can improve the quality of care (and life).

moosp
4th Sep 2013, 22:50
I shall continue the thread drift from ways to die to memorials. My father's ashes lie under a 12 inch stone in a country church yard. My mothers lie under a rose tree some distance away. They were the stoic heroes of their generation, and neither wanted the ostentation of even a normal English gravestone.

Memorials are for people who will be remembered for the other things that they did in their lives. For some reason the human race wishes to visit the memorials of Jefferson, Churchill, Mao and Jean Paul Satre. I respect their wishes but rarely follow them.

I suspect that the memorials in stone of the next generation of reality TV performers will be as massive as their budgets can afford. It is a matter of taste and class that separates such vulgarity from the simple stone crosses of Normandy, Honolulu and Philippines where men much more worthy lie.

Back to the thread. I did my medical for a humble student pilots licence the other day in my new country of choice (I still have a Class 1 from another country) and passed cum lauda. But as I left the doctor said, "be careful how you drive". I pondered that as I drove away and after a bit of goggling discovered that at my age and fitness in said country that was statistically the most likely way that I should die.

Like America and Australia and similar countries we have long straight soporific roads where people die from simply running out of road. Asleep at the wheel. Sad and such a waste.

The answer? When driving drink copious amounts of diet coke and Redbull, have a large breasted slutty girl to give you a tug or blow every hour or so and you should live until you wear out.

As they say here, a Boer with a plan.

mikedreamer787
5th Sep 2013, 02:24
I didn't intend memorials and statues of the likes of Jefferson etc
who are completely different from those pure rich who feel their
egos still need to be stroked even after death. As moosp stated
the reality tv stars and general Hollywood celebs will probably
spend much as they can for "weeping angels" and the like.

500N
5th Sep 2013, 02:28
"The answer? When driving drink copious amounts of diet coke and Redbull, have a large breasted slutty girl to give you a tug or blow every hour or so and you should live until you wear out."

Stop every hour or 2 (2 hours is good for me) or Drink plenty of water so you need to go for a pee
every couple of hours and have no choice but to stop !

Run around the car a couple of times.

Also find the window down helps a lot.

BlankBox
5th Sep 2013, 03:55
http://i.imagebanana.com/img/b5ll9ni4/dead.png

...in my favorite chair...:\

500N
5th Sep 2013, 03:59
Moosp

"Like America and Australia and similar countries we have long straight soporific roads where people die from simply running out of road. Asleep at the wheel. Sad and such a waste. "

Afraid quite a few people here in Aus don't have the same focus on road tolls
and think if people don't have the brains to pull over, re fresh etc etc, well
that is Darwin's theory of evolution working.

And why boys are born at a slightly higher ratio than girls !!!

alisoncc
8th Sep 2013, 02:35
Returning to the original thread topic. Having decided that, rather than becoming a vegetable due to illness or entering some form of palliative care for years, I will make my own decision to call it quits. The only variable is "when". That's a difficult question how would you decide when.

Don't think it should be a spur of the moment decision, or should it be? My immediate thoughts are, when the time is getting close, to take a sheet of paper, write at the top "When", and then write the date and append a signature. I would require fourteen consecutive days of signatures to go ahead. Miss one day and start again. Is fourteen days enough to ensure that it's not just a temporary period of depression?

Or should one decide with minimal consideration "oh stuff it" and pull the plug? A case of "Only surviving this week so I can survive the next, ad infinitum. Not worth the effort anymore".

dubbleyew eight
8th Sep 2013, 06:49
alison, does it matter? if you pop your clog you have a non return situation.

alisoncc
8th Sep 2013, 07:04
Yeh, but you wouldn't want to call it quits just because someone cut in on you whilst driving home. Equally after a year as a vegetable it's no good saying I wish I had ended it when I had the chance. How do you decide when is the right time?

dubbleyew eight
8th Sep 2013, 07:12
there is no try there is just do or don't do.....

OFSO
8th Sep 2013, 08:51
One assumes the person is dead, BlankBox ? A few of the English here in Spain who spend all hours of the summer day in the sun look like that whilst they are alive !

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2013, 11:38
What the heck was he doing when he died?:eek:

SpringHeeledJack
8th Sep 2013, 12:24
What the heck was he doing when he died?

He was a monk of the Buddhist persuasion, at death they start a fasting and meditation process and strange as it would seem retire to a hollow/space and bind their head towards the knees in an upright position assuming a minimal/foetal position. In this manner they pass away and whist there is no food in the stomach/gut the putrification of the body is minimal and the monk becomes mummified.

SHJ

SASless
8th Sep 2013, 14:55
This old feller decided to go out in a blaze of glory.....or the Cops just could not wait him out one!

107-year-old Arkansas man dies in shootout with S.W.A.T. | thv11.com (http://www.thv11.com/news/article/278849/2/107-year-old-Arkansas-man-dies-in-shootout-with-SWAT)

OFSO
8th Sep 2013, 16:27
I've stalked the Festival de Trobadors with sword in hand since Friday, looking for a likely Frenchman to have a set-to, but to no avail. No beligerence anywhere. Looks like I'll have to try to survive 364 days if I want to meet an honourable death in combat in Castelló.

To be serious: which of us here would choose to die in old age, illness, shame and misery, if the alternative was to die fighting* for a cause in which we believe ? It's not even worthy of discussion among men.

*I mean in hand-to-hand combat, not using shooting-irons.

** Although having watched men in full armour fighting with swords, pikes, and axes yesterday with an ambient temperature of over 30ºc, I wonder how many would have had heart attacks or strokes. Remember that under that armour was worn a full leather suit and under that silk.

421dog
8th Sep 2013, 20:38
This old feller decided to go out in a blaze of glory.....or the Cops just could not wait him out one
Having spent a fair amout of time just up the road from Pine Bluff in West Plains, (Home of one of the larger terrorist attacks in the US back in the '20's, as well as the hometown of faux-cockney Dick VanDyke)
I am really saddened that the local PoPo couldn't find it in their hearts to do this fella a bit more justice.

The story stinks to high heaven, and I am appalled.

Killing 107 y/o people is akin to killing a bunch of kids in a central texas compound.

We are better than that.

No amount of "I'm going to get home safe tonight" mentality justifies this.

mixture
8th Sep 2013, 20:53
** Although having watched men in full armour fighting with swords, pikes, and axes yesterday with an ambient temperature of over 30ºc, I wonder how many would have had heart attacks or strokes. Remember that under that armour was worn a full leather suit and under that silk.

Problem is OSFO, back in your youth in the 16th century, such armour was worn by young lads rather than crusty old farts that do battle re-enactments these days. So the wearers would have been fitter and more likely to be running around all day.

OFSO
8th Sep 2013, 22:06
than crusty old farts that do battle re-enactments these days.

Not here, they aren't ! I've just come back from a tournament this evening in the square in front of the basilica. The fighters were in their twenties. Including one lady who would have had Slasher's eyes popping out, who fought with two short swords, one in each hand, but was defeated by a punch from a mailed first in the face. Interesting how the entire body is used in sword fighting, especially the upper thigh.

500N
8th Sep 2013, 22:11
OFSO

And you don't have any photos ?????? :O

funfly
8th Sep 2013, 22:50
Without reference to anyone, I snook the ashes of my last wife (who I loved dearly) under the roots of a tree high on a hill in Shropshire. Every time I drive along the road past the hill with the tree on the top I give a little wave.

421dog
8th Sep 2013, 23:05
Good for you.

A few years ago, we had the ashes of my uncle's best friend afloat on a plank with a bit of accelerant on a lake in northern Wisconsin. A neighbor objected to the light show during our obesiances, and we explained our actions.

"Oh, well, I hope you have a nice funeral".....

Fcuking witch....

alisoncc
8th Sep 2013, 23:52
To be serious: which of us here would choose to die in old age, illness, shame and misery, if the alternative was to die fighting* for a cause in which we believe ?Does that include doing away with pollies we believe to guilty of treason? Often considered that doing some good for one's fellow man before popping my clogs by such an action would be worthwhile. Wipe out a few pollies with an AK47, and at the trial "M'lud, the defendandant has a terminal illness and is unlikely to be still alive for sentencing". Yeh, what a way to go.

SASless
9th Sep 2013, 00:20

My thoughts exactly.....Time is on the Cop's side....why the hurry. Back off, secure the perimeter, and just wait. The old Coot will either shoot himself....or at some point give up peacefully.

Either way .....no one gets hurt except the old coot in the worse case.

Our Police are getting away from the legal requirement of the law.....using the minimum amount of force necessary.

Ozzy
9th Sep 2013, 01:44
This is one way to go!

SWAT team kills 107-year-old Arkansas man in shootout - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57601870/swat-team-kills-107-year-old-arkansas-man-in-shootout/)

Ozzy

500N
9th Sep 2013, 01:55
Agree with SaSless

Once the people were out, regardless of the 107 year old firing through
the door, couldn't they just contain him until he calmed down and or
fell asleep ?

How long is a 107 year old going to last ?

SASless
9th Sep 2013, 04:33
Ozzy.....we wuz already discussing that.....read back about a dozen posts or so.

OFSO
9th Sep 2013, 07:19
Re scattering of ashes: there's a chapel high on the mountainside here where a number of elderly from Germany have asked their family in Spain to scatter their ashes after their death. One can see the chapel for miles and people have said to me that "it's nice to think that mum is up there". They also visit, of course.

500N, yes photos but not of the lovely lady combatant as my hands were shaking with excitement. The guy who downed her got more boos than Sebastian Vettel. This proves that right or wrong a lovely lady with long tresses wearing minimal leather armour and with a stunning decollatage will always have the support of a crowd.

500N
9th Sep 2013, 07:26
OFSO

Your description makes her sound like Xena :O

OFSO
9th Sep 2013, 08:36
TD button on: these are members of a professional medieval fighting troupe hired for such festivals. They put on an excellent show which is not without risks. Many fighters in armour are brought down by a kick to the calf muscle or by hooking the legs with a pikestaff. Once down, a whack with the shaft across the back discourages getting up again, and the head is then pulled back to allow use of a knife across the throat, or if the throat is inaccesable, pushed in through a joint in the armour. Some types of blow are considered "unsporting" and booed by the crowd - as is allowing an unworthy opponent to live.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/P1010190_WEB_zps83582740.jpg

Hydromet
9th Sep 2013, 09:10
Having spent most of my working life around rivers, much of it trying to detect and measure pollution, I've asked for my ashes to be scattered in a particularly nice river that I know, thereby creating my own little bit of pollution.

SASless
9th Sep 2013, 17:18
I made some inquiries about the SWAT Team Shooting of the 107 Year Old Man in Pine Bluff. The is the TV Station's reply.

Thank you for your questions about this incident. THV is following up on this story with several reporters today and we appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns so we can share them with police as well.

We don't have a 5 or 6pm newscast today because of tennis - but look for extended coverage tonight at 10 - and we will be updating our website -- Update: Roommate speaks about S.W.A.T. standoff that killed 107-year-old | thv11.com (http://www.thv11.com/news/article/278917/2/Update-Roommate-speaks-about-SWAT-standoff-that-killed-107-year-old)

500N
9th Sep 2013, 17:28
I am surprised the Police don't use some sort of gas that put people to sleep
or at least makes them sleepy.

As opposed to tear gas which affects everybody and requires the
team to wear breathing apparatus.

We know the Russians use it although they didn't quite get it right.

Cacophonix
9th Sep 2013, 18:32
Having died, preferably not as a result of being shot by trigger happy cops (at any age), I would be most be glad that my ashes were scattered at minimal cost to family and friends... something like this will do...

The Big Lebowski (11/12) Movie CLIP - The Bereaved (1998) HD - YouTube

Caco