PDA

View Full Version : Valvular Aortic Stenosis

yamabu
23rd Aug 2013, 18:37
Have 1st Class Medical -- 50yrs old. Annual non-faa physical revealed murmur, Sonogram revealed "mild valvular aortic stenosis."
valve area = 1.6 cm.
Peak/mean pressure 39/22mmHG.
Dimensionless index = .39
valve area = 1.8 cm^2
trace aortic regurgitation
aortic root sclerosis/calcification

.... so, now i have to let AME know... what should i expect? grounding followed by wearing a monitor and several months to get medical back?

Any M.D. interpretation greatly appreciated... kind of unusual this was found outside AME physical... so i have some time to report the issue, I assume... will have to look up regs regarding my responsibility...

THANKS!

Radgirl
23rd Aug 2013, 20:07
Sadly this is one of the problems of annuals and medicals. I wonder if an AME would have picked up the murmur.......Apart from specific tests such as for diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers, there is little evidence of benefit, and people not only get over treated but also get things like this picked up.

Aortic stenosis is narrowing of the aorta and is common. In your case it is the aortic valve that is narrowed, in others the artery below this can narrow. It is the commonest valve problem. I dont know your age, but it is most common in older people and is degenerative.

Your measurements are very mild and need little or no treatment if you have no symptoms - but check with your doctor. It is also worth checking with a second echo as under and over measurement are common.

The risks from mild AS are very few but the problem does tend to get worse with time. Severe AS can lead to sudden death and is associated with coronary artery disease so it needs more thorough investigation and may result in valvular surgery such as replacement or TAVI. BUT when I say mild AS is common I mean COMMON and so I would not worry too much about deterioration although you will need to be checked regularly. Beware of literature searches as most of the 'mild' cases presented due to symptoms and were in younger people.

I am not an AME and do not know the FAA rules, but I did get told you can fly with these measurements but need annual ECHOS and if it deteriorates you may have an issue. The worry is the increase in sudden incapacitation.

Now for any other worried well out there, stay away from doctors. Your GP can check your blood pressure, urine and do a cervical smear if you have one. A virtual colonography at 50 will also virtually prevent you coming to harm from bowel cancer. But spending money on 'medicals' which can much better be used on AVGAS is :=

yamabu
23rd Aug 2013, 22:12
Thanks Rad -- really, really appreciate the thorough response... take care!...