PDA

View Full Version : Making it in Civvy Street.

Al R
23rd Aug 2013, 17:51
Never measure success after a military career by salary and column inches alone, but I thought it'd be an idea to have a thread which names and shames those who manage to get by in the real world (despite all the odds). :ok:

First off..?

BBC News - Middlesbrough mayor referendum: Andy Preston 'would stand' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-23809191)

The Old Fat One
23rd Aug 2013, 20:27
If it's "military" as opposed to just RAF...I believe this ex matelot has done ok..

Duncan Bannatyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Bannatyne)

NutLoose
23rd Aug 2013, 20:37
It totally depends on what you want out of life, to measure success by money does not even come close, health, the love of life and satisfaction comes far above money In my books..
I had the opportunity to go down the route of making lots of money and looked at it as would I be happy, didn't tick the box so went another route... Happy and contented with my lot and that floats my boat... Roof over my head, I'm happy.
Might not be able to buy the world, but never wanted to anyway, even when left a load of money decided it was wrong and split it amongst those family members who were just as deserving, if not more..

Standing for Mayor... Why would anyone want too?

thing
23rd Aug 2013, 20:44
+1 to the above. I left to become a supply teacher in schools and a lecturer at college. Love it, never going to be rich by it but I work three days a week and have 16 weeks a year off. Time is priceless and something you can't buy back.

Earn enough with the pension to do what I want; fly around 100 hours a year and have good hols. No debts, no mortgage, mrs thing has a good job too. We're both 57 and life couldn't be better.

TomJoad
23rd Aug 2013, 23:20
Nutloose and thing I could not agree more:D:D:D

I loved my time in but when it came, as it inevitably does, the Service way of life lost its sparkle for me. Family time became more important than money, status etc. I planned my exit, looking for alternative careers and returned to teaching . Folk thought I was mad - the salary, even with my pension, no way compares to what I was pulling or future potential. But I honestly could not be happier - 7 years down the road and I am still loving it. I kiss my wife and children goodnight every night; they leave with me in the morning, - I won't even mention the holidays. At work (bog standard comprehensive), we have an excellent rapport with the kids ,and in some small way I do feel I am making a difference in their lives - hopefully for the better:eek: I do sometimes catch myself thinking "ok time to recover some lost ground and go for the promoted position PT, Deputy Head, Headteacher". The feeling never lasts. It may be a trite thing to say but money and position does not determine success. Each to their own - I am happy.:ok:

Anyway good luck to the fella standing for Mayor if that is where his heart is; we all have different paths.

CoffmanStarter
24th Aug 2013, 06:57
Well said Tom ... and I'll bet your physics lessons are an absolute hoot too ... still the best subject on any school curriculum IMHO :ok:

The Old Fat One
24th Aug 2013, 07:01
Ops thread.... he laid the rules...

Never measure success after a military career by salary and column inches alone, but I thought it'd be an idea to have a thread which names and shames those who manage to get by in the real world (despite all the odds).

we want names, not sixth form philosophy!

CoffmanStarter
24th Aug 2013, 07:09
Names then ...

Hilary Devey

She served for a short time in the Women's Royal Air Force in air traffic control and supply accounts and was stationed at RAF Brize Norton.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01958/dragon_1958997c.jpg

airborne_artist
24th Aug 2013, 07:14
http://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/content/cws/about/the-partnership/governing-authorities/chairman/_jcr_content/mainLeftPar/textimage/image.img.jpg/1371725248492.jpg

Sir Charlie Mayfield, formerly a Lt in the Scots Guards, now Chairman of John Lewis. Has an MBA but did not do an undergraduate degree as far as I can see.

dubbleyew eight
24th Aug 2013, 07:17
Marilyn Monroe.
assembled drones and UAV's during WW2.

thing
24th Aug 2013, 07:32
Paddy Ashdown obviously.

Keith Palmer ex WO, now assistant vice president of Barclays Capital.

Davita
24th Aug 2013, 08:11
As an ex-Halton and Cranwell Apprentice this guy did pretty good...

Frank Whittle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Whittle)

I used to fly as an F/E with his son, Ian, who was a captain on B747; so I had the honour of meeting his dad when he visited. I told him I was an ex-Halton Apprentice myself.....so he called me a rookie and I should get some in...I had been in the RAF for 22 years and 16 years in an airline at that meeting!

Wander00
24th Aug 2013, 08:33
A former RAF Regt wg cdr became Chairman of Waitrose a few years back.

NutLoose
24th Aug 2013, 08:43
Jerry Rawlings

Fl Lt to Dictator

Flight Lieutenant Jerry John Rawlings (J.J Rawlings) | Who's Who Profile | Africa Confidential (http://www.africa-confidential.com/whos-who-profile/id/424/)

NutLoose
24th Aug 2013, 08:51
Adolf Hitler

Cpll to leader of the Country... Didn't last though.

Pontius Navigator
24th Aug 2013, 08:59
Monty Hall, inspirational speaker.

Bear Grylls, clothing designer :}

Andy McNab, author

Chris Ryan, author and survivalist

The troop on Bad Lad's Army

CoffmanStarter
24th Aug 2013, 09:05
If joining a British Colonial Regiment counts ... then this twonk can go on the list for sure ...

http://www.cbv.ns.ca/dictator/idi.jpg

Idi Amin :yuk:

NutLoose
24th Aug 2013, 09:17
There's that pop singer that sounds like he's been kicked in the nuts, name escapes me, was a tankie, all be it a baby one.

Al R
24th Aug 2013, 09:17
PN,

Bear Grylls; you mean, Bear Grylls the water slide deviant?!

BBC News - Bear Grylls: St Tudwal island slide planning probe by council (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23794479)

Ali McKay, staish at Wildenrath early 80s, did quite well at M&S and subsequently I think. I didn't know Hilary Devey was a WRAF; maybe thats why Bannatyne has famously been having a pop at her! Both I think, recently and very publically divorced.

sitigeltfel
24th Aug 2013, 09:20
Hilary Devey

She served for a short time in the Women's Royal Air Force in air traffic control and supply accounts...

A strange career move :confused:

Any info on how she would achieve that?

Wander00
24th Aug 2013, 09:21
Ali had to do the usual shop floor stint and was on the shirt counter at Robert Sayle, the JL store in Cambridge. Forever had baby pilots coming to get the "Staish" to sell them a shirt. Met him at Cranwell a few years back - I think he made the Main Board of JL.

Al R
24th Aug 2013, 09:24
I remember (at least, I think I remember!) reading an article with him photographed selling a pair of ladies undies to a suitably posed customer. I remember being impressed with his willingness (is that the right word I wonder?) to start again mid life and make a go of it again the harder, more unconventional way.

CoffmanStarter
24th Aug 2013, 09:29
Nutty ...

That's Cpt James Blunt ex Life Guards.

http://www.skyhdwallpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/1162_ap_james_blunt_070920_ms.jpg

Scruffy sod ...

Yellow Sun
24th Aug 2013, 10:51
Ali McKay, staish at Wildenrath early 80s, did quite well at M&S

It was John Lewis.

YS

Beaten to it by Wander00

I remember (at least, I think I remember!) reading an article with him photographed selling a pair of ladies undies to a suitably posed customer. I remember being impressed with his willingness (is that the right word I wonder?) to start again mid life and make a go of it again the harder, more unconventional way.

Having known the man, that didn't surprise me one little bit.

YS

TomJoad
24th Aug 2013, 11:00
Ops thread.... he laid the rules...

we want names, not sixth form philosophy!

Get you princess; must not divert from thread, must not divert from thread, must not,,,,,,, - awh heck loosen up and live a bit.:ugh:

Anyway here is a hero of mine now sadly departed. Always saw him as the true embodiment of an English gentleman; mild of manner and gracious in spirit and yes ever so slightly eccentric (bet he would have wandered off topic). :rolleyes: He didn't make a fortune on leaving the RAF following his wartime role as a Nav in Bomber Cmd, he didn't have time for celebrity nonsense but he went on to inspire thousands. His mapping of the moon was used by NASA in their contemplation for the Apollo landing site. I give you Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore CBE, FRS, FRAS. God bless you Patrick.

bye the way we don't have sixth form colleges in Scotland:p

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64660000/jpg/_64660074_vsqm1tlh.jpg

TomJoad
24th Aug 2013, 11:07
Marilyn Monroe.
assembled drones and UAV's during WW2.

:D:D:D:D Love it.

CoffmanStarter
24th Aug 2013, 11:29
Let's not forget Uncle Gerry ...

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64944000/jpg/_64944673_64944672.jpg

He did National Service with the RAF ...

CoffmanStarter
24th Aug 2013, 11:36
And you've got to have Norman "on your bike" Tebbit ...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40994000/jpg/_40994117_tebbit203.jpg

Ex Meatbox Pilot ...

Melchett01
24th Aug 2013, 12:28
If it's not too much of a deviation (it's a bit like Just a Minute) and we are permitted to do a bit of horizon scanning, then Flt Lt Wales: to go from Driver (Airframes - Washing Machine) to King, Head of Commonwealth and Defender of the The Faith and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces isn't a bad effort.

And at a recent Regt Dinner, a 2-star was giving me the benefit of his years of experience and wisdom; apparently to get to the highest reaches, I would have to have managed a budget. I spluttered into my pint as I can just about manage my beer tokens each month without my eyes glazing over. But on the basis of his advice, then a fund manager by the name of John Chatfeild-Roberts hasn't done too badly either, going from a Lt in the Army to now managing several billion pounds of funds in the City.

NutLoose
24th Aug 2013, 12:55
It was John Lewis

Well it's gone down hill of late, will ever use them again.

Thanks Coff..

gr4techie
25th Aug 2013, 02:12
http://www.sportsignings.com/images/products/products/RUGBY/und1.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00651/news-graphics-2007-_651783a.jpg

http://www.rugbydump.com/media/posts/tim-rodber-colin-charvis-1999.jpg

thing
25th Aug 2013, 08:40
Aircraftsman TE Lawrence made quite a name for himself I believe.

Max Beaverbrook, Fleet Street supremo was a fighter pilot during the war.

Klaus Hugo Adam, a German citizen, one of only two to fly with the RAF during the war (he was an acclaimed Typhoon pilot known as 'Heine the tank buster') changed his name to Ken Adam and became the most famous production designer in the film industry with a list of awards longer than both of my arms. If you watched any of the Bond films up to Moonraker then Ken designed those incredible sets, plus work on countless other films. His own life was worthy of a film in itself.

dubbleyew eight
25th Aug 2013, 09:26
when tomjoad applauded me I wondered whether I had perpetuated an urban myth.

I googled "marilyn monroe assembled drones" and many links came up.
this was one of them....
Marilyn Monroe Assembled Drones During World War II (http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/marilyn-monroe-assembled-drones-during-world-war-ii-696681799)

muppetofthenorth
25th Aug 2013, 10:46
If it's not too much of a deviation (it's a bit like Just a Minute) and we are permitted to do a bit of horizon scanning, then Flt Lt Wales: to go from Driver (Airframes - Washing Machine) to King, Head of Commonwealth and Defender of the The Faith and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces isn't a bad effort.

Why go for the horizon, his Grandmother has already gone through a greater transformation. Driver and Mechanic in the WATS before taking on the big jobs.

And you can add Duke of Normandy, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, etc etc

TomJoad
25th Aug 2013, 12:02
when tomjoad applauded me I wondered whether I had perpetuated an urban myth.

I googled "marilyn monroe assembled drones" and many links came up.
this was one of them....
Marilyn Monroe Assembled Drones During World War II (http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/marilyn-monroe-assembled-drones-during-world-war-ii-696681799)

And again, still loving it :D:D:D:D

Thanks for taking the time to double check. I just love the idea of Marilyn working on the assembly line.

TomJoad
25th Aug 2013, 12:07
Why go for the horizon, his Grandmother has already gone through a greater transformation. Driver and Mechanic in the WATS before taking on the big jobs.

And you can add Duke of Normandy, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, etc etc

No disrespect to HM, but watched this with the kids yesterday - made me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRUduPYvrOw

CoffmanStarter
25th Aug 2013, 12:20
Here's an interesting list of names ...

Famous people who previously served in the RAF ...

Richard Attenborough - Actor and director
David Bailey (photographer)
Ralph Barker - Writer
Alan Bates - Actor
Raymond Baxter - Television presenter and commentator
Tony Benn - British politician
Frank Bossard - M16 personnel who spied for the USSR
Richard Burton - Actor, served as a navigator
Arthur C. Clarke - Science fiction author
Alex Coomber - Bronze medalist in the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Roald Dahl - Author. A flying ace who rose to the rank of Wing Commander
Denholm Elliot - Actor
Bruce Barrymore Halpenny-British military historian and Author, served Royal Air Force Police
Tony Hancock - Comic actor (RAF Regiment)
Rex Harrison - Actor, reached the rank of Flight Lieutenant
Godfrey Hounsfield - Nobel laureate and co-inventor of Computed tomography.
George Hutchinson - Professional footballer
Peter Imbert - Police Officer, served Royal Air Force Police
T. E. Lawrence - 'Lawrence of Arabia'. Enlisted first as Aircraftman J.H Ross, and later as Aircraftman T.E Shaw
Peter Larter - England rugby player
Christopher Lee - Actor, reached the rank of Flight Lieutenant
Warren Mitchell - Actor
Bob Monkhouse - Entertainer, comedian, game show host
Patrick Moore - Astronomer, broadcaster and author
Frank Muir - Comic writer
Alex Murphy (rugby league) Great Britain rugby league player
Peter Sellers - Comedian and actor, gained the NCO rank of Corporal
Ian Smith - Rhodesian Prime Minister; reached the rank of Flight Lieutenant during Second World War service
Tony Walton - set/costume designer, director
Norman Tebbit - British politician
Rory Underwood - England rugby player
Martin Whitcombe - England 'B' rugby player
Bill Wyman- Bass player, Rolling Stones
Jeff Young (rugby player) - Welsh rugby player

I suppose it's too much to hope that F/L Christopher Lee served with 9 Squadron ? ... neither would I want to go night flying with him :eek:

http://www.coolest-vampire-art-gallery.com/image-files/christopher-lee-as-dracula.jpg

CoffmanStarter
25th Aug 2013, 12:24
Tom ...

If you edit out the [youtube] and the [\youtube] code containing your URL ... It should work just fine :ok:

woptb
25th Aug 2013, 12:32
Jimi Hendrix,Richard Todd ,both ex meat bombs.

TomJoad
25th Aug 2013, 12:32
Thanks Coffman, I struggled with that :ok:

NutLoose
25th Aug 2013, 12:54
Reading that list I would never have thought Tony Hancock was ex RAF Regiment

ian16th
If we include the then WRAF, Pam Ayres

thing
David Niven, army officer before he made it big in Hollywood, rejoined in WWII and rose to the rank of Colonel. Active service as well, not an 'ents' guy.

Spike Milligan, Harry Secombe both army.

Michael Bentine, MI9 and RAF Int officer.

George Chisholm, RAF bandsman.

Ian Fleming-Naval Intelligence

Frederick Forsyth-fast jet jock RAF

George Macdonald Fraser-fought in Burma, rose from the ranks to become an army officer after the war.

Nevil Shute Norway-successful aircraft engineer throughout his writing career, worked on secret weapons during WWII.

NutLoose
25th Aug 2013, 13:04
Jimmy Edwards the Comedian with the handlebar moustache, was shot down at Arnham winning the DFC and was one of the guinea pig club members, hence the trademark moustache to hide his injuries. I remember reading his story, his aircraft was hit setting fire to the cockpit, forcing him to fly his DC3 standing on the seat!

Further to the above I thought you'd like to know more

"Professor" Jimmy Edwards managed to avoid the flak in KG444 and cleared the Arnhem area on his way back to base. He told his wireless operator, Bill Randall, to get the sandwiches and coffee flask then suddenly there was a tremendous noise and the aircraft shook violently. Jim thought that they had been hit by flak but looking out of his window he saw the ugly snout and yellow spinners of an FW190, who proceeded to rake them again. The engines suddenly went into fine pitch - Jim gave the order to bail out, which second pilot Alan Clarke and navigator Harry Sorensen promptly obeyed. Then Jim collected his parachute, put the automatic pilot in and raced down the aircraft to bale out through the open door. But lying near the door were the four air dispatchers and Jim yelled "Why haven't you jumped." "Can't, sir" came the reply, "all wounded in the legs". So throwing his chute down, Jim went back to the cockpit but he couldn't see through the windscreen which was now covered in black soot and oil. So he knocked out the escape exit in the roof and by standing in the seat with his head in the slip stream he brought the aircraft down into a small wood where the small saplings broke his speed without breaking the aircraft up. As he landed the nose dug in and catapulted Jim out of the top hatch and on to the ground where he was joined by Bill Randall who had also stayed on board. Jim said that they felt very vulnerable lying there in the yellow Mae Wests but as the Fokker came in for the kill, he ran out of ammunition for only three rounds were fired. Jim had many burns to his face and ears, his ears shrivelled like cockleshells (the reason he wore his hair long to hide them) and for his brave action Jim received the DFC. The greatest disappointment of this gallant sacrifice by our aircrews who flew these suicidal missions for four days on the trot, was that less than 20% were received by the paras on the ground for there was no radio communication to tell our pilots that the DZs had been captured

From other brave tales

BBC - WW2 People's War - My Time with 271 Squadron Chapter 3 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/82/a4163582.shtml)

thing
25th Aug 2013, 13:13
At one time Tomorrow's World had two former RAF pilots presenting it, Raymond Baxter and William Woollard.

woptb
25th Aug 2013, 13:20
Roald Dahl RAF, incidentally his father couldn't spell Ronald.

thing
25th Aug 2013, 13:22
Hughie Green was an RCAF ferry pilot during WWII, although he was born in London.

Al R
25th Aug 2013, 13:40
Peter Alliss is former RAF Regt too, Nutloose, as was Brian Clough (which explains why he was always right I suppose). All ex National Service though, they didn't have much choice!

Davita
25th Aug 2013, 13:41
Aahh! Thanks 'thing'..... you posted about Frederick Forsyth, the celebrated author, which brought back another memory to me.

I first met Freddie in a bar in Kings Lynn, on the square.
I was based at RAF Marham, when it had new Valiant Bombers, as a bored Cpl Inst Fitter team leader doing Base Inspections.
Freddie had just finished his National Service as a pilot, which was rare in those days, and was a journalist on the Kings Lynn News and Advertiser.
Sometimes he and I would jaunt, in his VW, from village to village finding which ones had a market and thus the pubs would be open all day...anyone else remember those halcyon days in Norfolk?
Poor Fredddie went out one day, without me; crashed his VW and severed the end of his finger.
During many chats he helped me to review my future and that is why I applied, and was later selected, as aircrew.
The rest is history...he became a famous author and, for me, created a turning moment in my life, for which I'm grateful.

ian16th
25th Aug 2013, 13:56
Sometimes he and I would jaunt, in his VW, from village to village finding which ones had a market and thus the pubs would be open all day...anyone else remember those halcyon days in Norfolk?Monday -
Tuesday - Kings Lynn
Wednesday - Wisbech
Thursday -
Friday - Downham Market
Saturday - Swaffham, and Norwich but only within 100 yards of the market square.

Monday and Thursday have disappeared from my memory but we had to venture into Lincolnshire on one of those days! :ok:

Yellow Sun
25th Aug 2013, 14:26
Former RAF PTI Alister Allan - Bronze 1984 and Silver 1988 Olympics

YS

Davita
25th Aug 2013, 14:56
Thanks Ian16th from South Africa for the memory jolt. At your age, remembering tuesdays, wednesdays, fridays and saturdays is indeed impressive! j/k please n/o!;) check my age details.

All those village names 'ring a bell'... NOT........pun intended! Been to them all except we never ventured as far as Norwich...the BIG city...but I did go by motorcycle one night to hear a Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth concert.

Sorry, I digress....back to subject.

Many servicemen/women have achieved great lives, honours and celebrity status in civvy street. The training that a service life entails does NOT directly ensure those apparent successes, nor have those posted results, but permits opportunity.
imho, however, a mental and organisational military discipline does produce focus to those opportunities which, otherwise, may not develop.

Davita
25th Aug 2013, 15:20
Ok the door is open and I'm on a roll...then I'll stop.
Does anyone remember my homeboy Dick McTaggert...BBC Sport - Golden Scot Dick McTaggart: boxing in his blood (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/18855849)

We met on the train from Dundee to...eventually RAF Halton, where he was a national service cook...mostly bottlewasher.... in No. 3 wing Apprentice mess and I was a Halton Apprentice, in the same location.

We became homy pals even as he was a couple of years older than me and very athletic and I was nerdy and short.

A year later he went on to become a gold medal winner in the Melbourne olympics 1956.

ian16th
25th Aug 2013, 15:43
All those village names 'ring a bell'

If this was an oblique reference to the pub in Marham village, it has closed down!

Not a great loss, it was one of the worst pints in Christendom.

thing
25th Aug 2013, 15:58
Was at Church Fenton on Friday, very surprised to see the Fenton Flyer is still going strong, although they've changed the pub sign.

TomJoad
25th Aug 2013, 16:19
At one time Tomorrow's World had two former RAF pilots presenting it, Raymond Baxter and William Woollard.

Ah remember those wonderful commentaries of Air Shows by Raymond Baxter - he spoke with such authority. As for Tommorow's whatever happened to the flying car? Sorry, must not drift, must not drift, must not,,,

Melchett01
25th Aug 2013, 16:52
I suppose it's too much to hope that F/L Christopher Lee served with 9 Squadron ? ... neither would I want to go night flying with him

Not quite. I think he did some pilot trg in South Africa in WW2 but eyesight issues grounded him. After that he spent much of his time working with Int and SF.

NutLoose
25th Aug 2013, 18:18
Thanks Al R

A friend of mine several years back was tasked with flying the CAS and several others up to a meeting in a Company aircraft, he said he had to control the urge to turn round to them and say hey I was in the RAF, I was an SAC Rigger :)

thing
25th Aug 2013, 18:22
I fly with an ex CAS and I'm an ex avionics tech...:). Very nice guy though (he added hurriedly...:})

kintyred
25th Aug 2013, 20:14
Sir John Harvey Jones, from matelot to chairman of ICI

gr4techie
25th Aug 2013, 20:59
Lord Paddy Ashdown. Lib dem politician

Born in New Delhi in British India, to a family of soldiers and colonial administrators who spent their lives in India. His mother was a QA nurse. Ashdown's father, John William Richard Durham Ashdown, was an Indian Army officer in the 14th Punjab Regiment and the Indian Army Service Corps and in 1944 attained the rank of T/Lt.Col.

Paddy Ashdown joined the Royal Marines in 1959, serving until 1972, retiring with the rank of Captain. He served in Borneo during the Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation and the Persian Gulf before training as a Swimmer Canoeist in 1965, after which he joined the elite Special Boat Section (which became the Special Boat Service in the 1980s) and commanded a Section in the Far East. He then went to Hong Kong in 1967 to undertake a full-time interpreter's course in Chinese, and returned to Britain in 1970 when he was given command of a Commando Company in Belfast.

Ashdown left the Marines to join the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS or MI6).

Ashdown decided to enter politics due to living during the era of two general elections in one year and the Three-Day Week.

smujsmith
25th Aug 2013, 21:47
I heard rumours in 1969, as an apprentice at Halton, that Hank Marvin and Jet Harris and Tony Meehan first met as Halton Apprentices. To this day, I don't know if its true.

Smudge

thing
25th Aug 2013, 22:10
Smudge, not true. Hank and Bruce joined up with Cliff when they were only 16, the rest is history as they say.

Edit: Bruce Welch that is.

NutLoose
25th Aug 2013, 22:10
kintyred
Sir John Harvey Jones, from matelot to chairman of ICI

I really used to enjoy his company troubleshooting series. Though he did say Morgan was doomed.

smujsmith
25th Aug 2013, 22:43
thing,

Thanks for that, tonight seems to be putting a lot of misleading rumours of my life right. Do you know if it was Halton they were at, or have I got that wrong as well.

Smudge

thing
25th Aug 2013, 22:57
Smuj

Sorry by joined up I meant joined up as a band! They weren't in the forces. They were all household names and stars before they were 20.

smujsmith
25th Aug 2013, 23:07
thing

Well, after the exposure of the origin of the term "egg banjos" on the "best food" thread, this is indeed a real revelation in my life. I'm sure I now need to take a powder and lie down for a while.;). Seriously, thanks for that, it really is another myth sorted out.

Smudge:ok:

Lima Juliet
25th Aug 2013, 23:39
All ex-RAF

Leonard Cheshire - his charity still provides homes for people
Ronnie Corbett - comedian
Des O'Connor - entertainer
The Barron Knights - 70s pop group

Davita
26th Aug 2013, 02:55
OK I said I would stop but Leon's post about 'the Barron Knights' has opened the door to my memory again.

This group was originated by 'Ozzie' Osmond (Halton App circa 67th entry?) and myself (72nd) on the troopship Oxfordshire.

We left Liverpool on Oxfordshire's maiden voyage in 1957 and steamed around Durban (South Africa) as the Suez Canal had been blocked by President Nasser, and others like me, that dropped bombs on Cairo from Canberras, in 1956!
The trip was boring and Ozzie, a guitar player, would entertain us with Lonnie Donegan music.
I simulated bongoes to add some rhythm and another guy (I'll call him stringfellow) simulated bass. Whilst ashore in Durban I bought a washboard and stringfellow found a tea-chest...for the rest of the trip to Singapore we were the entertainers.

Co-incidently we three were chosen to take the train to RAF Butterworth (Penang). The military gave us machine guns and, I presume, some bullets, but no training. We were supposed to guard the train from the Communist insurgents that roamed the jungle. Ozzie jokingly said we would be more fearful playing skiffle. I agreed and included..if we only had bagpipes..this is when a handsome man 'piped in'..."I play bagpipes".
Ozzie asked "but can you sing?" we found our lead singer there and then.

On arrival RAF Butterworth the 'Venom Skiffle Group' was formed which, after finding a manager and appearing on Singapore's inaugural TV and many other military shows up and down Malaya it later morphed to the 'Barron Knights" when Ozzie bought himself out of the RAF and became the 'Barron'.

ian16th
26th Aug 2013, 09:31
If we are including National Service sportsmen;

F. S Trueman, Yorkshire & England spent most of his NS in the Sports Store at RAF Hemswell.

kintyred
26th Aug 2013, 16:14
Sir Clive Sinclair was rejected by the Air Force....so he went and made a fortune instead!

NutLoose
26th Aug 2013, 17:10
Similar Kintyred, but not on subject,

Joseph Banford was turned down by Rolls Royce for an apprenticeship, so he formed his own company using his initials JCB!

Union Jack
26th Aug 2013, 18:12
Sean Connery was in the Royal Navy from the age of 16 to 19, before being invalided.

Jack

OutlawPete
26th Aug 2013, 19:48
John Nichol's done alright for himself. Still on the telly from time to time. Or am I watching repeats...hard to tell with Sky! :p

thing
26th Aug 2013, 20:18
Another slightly OT but my cousin was left 10K in his grandfather's will in '86. (His other grandfather, not the one we shared) He stuck the lot in the newly released Microsoft shares...everyone thought he was bonkers. They don't anymore...his bonkers purchase is now worth around 3 million. He smiles. A lot.

Edit: ex pongo, three months I think, so a valid entry!

Melchett01
26th Aug 2013, 20:32
Sean Connery was in the Royal Navy from the age of 16 to 19, before being invalided.

That's deep fried mars bars for you!

smujsmith
26th Aug 2013, 21:32
I flew a lot of trips with a Loadie, who, always maintained that before he joined the RAF he played Bass with simply red. Nice one Gary !!!

Smudge :ok:

oldgrubber
26th Aug 2013, 21:52
Making it in civvy street after a military career is ok, but making it in the military AND civvy street is a true sign of leadership and drive.
"Life at full throttle" by Admiral Sir John Treacher.
I bought this book for my dad a couple of years ago, he served under the Admiral during his FONAC days and remembers him fondly.
Seems like a real character.

Cheers now

Melchett01
26th Aug 2013, 22:52
If you're willing to include Reserves in this discussion, then Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden and airline pilot fame is ex TA.

Davita
27th Aug 2013, 00:01
@thing post #75

If your cousin had sold those Microsoft shares in Dec 1999 he would then be worth US$6 Million.
Co-incidently, Microsoft's 'jumpin cat' CEO 'Steve Ballmer' announced resignation last Thursday and the share price rose 8%. His personal share value, at age 57, jumped by around another US$1 Billion to US$15 Billion plus change....just because he quit!
This makes the commuted pension of UKP5,000 the Queen gave me when I resigned, after serving her in the RAF for 22 years, a mere pittance!
Fortunately for me, I also invested in the stock market.

mikesten68
30th Aug 2013, 16:30
"Bruce Barrymore Halpenny-British military historian and Author, served Royal Air Force Police"

There seems to be some doubt as to the validity of this gentleman's duties - now I'm not going as far as to suggest 'Walting', but his own descriptions of what he did as a National Serviceman and after seem to be a little 'embellished'?

I may be wrong, and apologise profusely if I am, but if anyone has any further information I would be most interested.

ian16th
31st Aug 2013, 11:03
Bruce Barrymore Halpenny-British military historian and AuthorLiving as I do in a remote southern colony, I hadn't hear of this guy, so I 'did a Google' and found his Wiki page.

Yes his CV does raise questions. But is he simply doing some buttering up to sell books?

As to him being on 'Special Duties', this raises a question as to just what did the phrase mean?

When I was posted to the RAF Liaison Party Istres in 1957, I was on 'Special Duties'. There was absolutely no hint that it was anything cloak & dagger. It was because of some diplomatic reason, and us being in France. I understood that the term was also applied to all Air Attache's and their staff.

In another life, while on a Valiant Squadron, the RAFP dog handlers that guided our dispersal's at night were not seen as any sort of James Bond type.

Laarbruch72
31st Aug 2013, 11:50
Special duties in his case was SD814, nuclear security, not particularly special but I guess he's not the first author to "sex up" a relatively vanilla career, let's face it they all do it to an extent and he's hardly claiming to be the second man on the balcony. Certainly not a walt.

NutLoose
31st Aug 2013, 12:35
Ex RAF pilot leaves 1 million flowers to Sidmouth and £2.3 mil

Banker Keith Owen leaves £2.3million to Devon town with instructions to plant 'a million flowers' | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/29/banker-leaves-2-3million-to-devon-town-with-instructions-to-plant-a-million-flowers-3942154/)

teeteringhead
31st Aug 2013, 13:47
Hilary Devey

She served for a short time in the Women's Royal Air Force in air traffic control and supply accounts and was stationed at RAF Brize Norton.
A strange career move

Any info on how she would achieve that?

Maybe an airwoman in TG 9 - AATC - then commissioned (briefly) as a stacker? Wiki says she left WRAF "before she was 20". Or given the timescale - early 70s? - did we then still have Local Service Airwomen who might have done a number of clerical/admin tasks??

OldnDaft
31st Aug 2013, 19:56
More rugby players - John Orwin captained England. Billy Steele played for Scotland.

Rigga
31st Aug 2013, 20:42
Bob Monkhouse - who, because he found a Sqn Ldr fiddling with a Cpl, agreed a posting to CME (London) where he could engage more interest in Variety Acts.

thing
31st Aug 2013, 21:21
Bob Monkhouse - who, because he found a Sqn Ldr fiddling with a Cpl

Violinists?

thing
31st Aug 2013, 21:25
As to him being on 'Special Duties', this raises a question as to just what did the phrase mean?I was bored at a particular posting and at the time in SRO's there were always entries asking for volunteers for 'Special Duties'.

I thought why not, went to see the chief clerk and his first question was 'Are you married?'

I said yes and he said close the door on the way out.

Laarbruch72
31st Aug 2013, 22:08
Special duties has always been a cover-all euphemism, the ones you enquired about were likely covert surveillance duties in NI, they were frequently advertised in SROs.

NutLoose
31st Aug 2013, 22:10
Un was as well as in Cyprus I believe

thing
31st Aug 2013, 23:04
Special duties has always been a cover-all euphemism, the ones you enquired about were likely covert surveillance duties in NI, they were frequently advertised in SROs.

Didn't want to mention that but being as you have; yes it was.

Secret1
4th Sep 2013, 21:51
Jeff Young. A school teacher who played Rugby for Wales & Lions in the late 60s & early 70s. He then joined the RAF Education Branch and continued in the game, coaching RAF and Inter-Services teams. After leaving the RAF he did some quite important work for Welsh Rugby and others. Sadly died some years ago after a long illness, aged about 60.

Melchett01
5th Sep 2013, 09:03
Special duties has always been a cover-all euphemism

I believe they also included some of the other Int disciplines e.g. Photo Interpreter back in the day when the Admin Branch did a lot of them rather than having a specific Int Branch

and he's hardly claiming to be the second man on the balcony

I've always wondered how big a balcony the Iranian Embassy actually had. If everyone who claims to have been there actually was there, then frankly I think the balcony on its own would have been big enough to warrant its own postcode!

Basil
5th Sep 2013, 11:34
he found a Sqn Ldr fiddling with a Cpl
At an ATC party, there I was chatting to an eminently 'fiddleable' Cpl when Mrs Bas noticed and came over to say "Hello!!" How do they know?

Melchett01
5th Sep 2013, 13:51
At an ATC party, there I was chatting to an eminently 'fiddleable' Cpl when Mrs Bas noticed and came over to say "Hello!!" How do they know?

It's not only the military that seem to have a knack for Special Duties. Wives, girlfriends and sometimes eve loved ones wrote the book on it - that my dear Bas is how they know :ok:

Broadsword***
5th Sep 2013, 13:58
Lord Paddy Ashdown. Lib dem politician

Born in New Delhi in British India, to a family of soldiers and colonial administrators who spent their lives in India. His mother was a QA nurse. Ashdown's father, John William Richard Durham Ashdown, was an Indian Army officer in the 14th Punjab Regiment and the Indian Army Service Corps and in 1944 attained the rank of T/Lt.Col.

Paddy Ashdown joined the Royal Marines in 1959, serving until 1972, retiring with the rank of Captain. He served in Borneo during the Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation and the Persian Gulf before training as a Swimmer Canoeist in 1965, after which he joined the elite Special Boat Section (which became the Special Boat Service in the 1980s) and commanded a Section in the Far East. He then went to Hong Kong in 1967 to undertake a full-time interpreter's course in Chinese, and returned to Britain in 1970 when he was given command of a Commando Company in Belfast.

Ashdown left the Marines to join the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS or MI6).

Ashdown decided to enter politics due to living during the era of two general elections in one year and the Three-Day Week.

I emailed Lord Ashdown earlier this week in support of his comments regarding the failed Commons vote on Syria. He responded the same day from his home in Somerset. A true gent and a man who has walked the walk.

Incidentally, Airborne Aircrew described him as 'weak minded and weak willed'.

bspatz
5th Sep 2013, 14:03
John Haynes of Haynes manuals wrote the first two of his books whilst a national serviceman in the RAF.

philrigger
5th Sep 2013, 15:26
The Sergeant DI when I was in Boy Entrants used to deal out 'Special Duties'. In my case it was always 2 hours every night for a week in the Tin Room !

Philrigger

Whenurhappy
5th Sep 2013, 15:55
Hughie Greene, (qv) was also the first Director of the Psywar Department in Colonial Malaya c 1952 - and jolly effective he was, too. He understood the need for psyops material to be targetted at the individual and based on his (Maselow hierachy) needs. Hughie Greene used local ethnic chinese to devise the material - indeed, used former insurgents - and then distributed the material by a variety of elderly transport aircraft, as well as Austers and Harvards. Thousands of 'bandits' surrendered as a result of the well-coordinated psyops campaign - much more cost effective than bombing the sh!t out of the nearly-impenetrable jungle!

Hangarshuffle
5th Sep 2013, 17:22
Ashdown didn't make it to even being a Major (in the Marines)?!! I laugh out loud at that. Yes, I agree with others, he is weak minded and on Syria a bloody fool.

Union Jack
5th Sep 2013, 18:45
Ashdown didn't make it to even being a Major (in the Marines)?!! I laugh out loud at that.

Probably time to stop laughing then, observing that you are clearly unaware that, at the period in question, a Captain in the Royal Marines was equivalent in rank to a Major in the Army, when afloat, and would have held the local rank of Major if serving with the Army, and was paid accordingly in both cases.:ok:

Jack

4mastacker
5th Sep 2013, 20:12
Sir Ken Morrison - did his National Service and then took over from his father running a small family business that became Britain's fourth largest supermarket chain.

Al R
5th Sep 2013, 20:26
4ma,

I'll raise you. Jack Cohen, aeroplane fabric doper doing National Service after WW1 gave the first two letters of his surname (CO) to an early business venture selling tea with a guy called TE Stockwell (he contributed his initials; 'TES').

Tesco eh? It'll never catch on.

Broadsword***
5th Sep 2013, 20:35
Hughie Greene, (qv) was also the first Director of the Psywar Department in Colonial Malaya c 1952 - and jolly effective he was, too. He understood the need for psyops material to be targetted at the individual and based on his (Maselow hierachy) needs. Hughie Greene used local ethnic chinese to devise the material - indeed, used former insurgents - and then distributed the material by a variety of elderly transport aircraft, as well as Austers and Harvards. Thousands of 'bandits' surrendered as a result of the well-coordinated psyops campaign - much more cost effective than bombing the sh!t out of the nearly-impenetrable jungle!

Though he delivered his most effective psychological warfare over the airwaves: Opportunity Knocks 1949-1978.

Union Jack
5th Sep 2013, 22:53
Tesco eh? It'll never catch on.

Well it certainly did for Lord (Ian) MacLaurin too. After National Service in the Royal Air Force, Ian joined Tesco as a management trainee, became Managing Director in 1973, and served as Chairman from 1985 to 1997.

Jack

Basil
5th Sep 2013, 22:57
My political views are, occasionally, not in accord with those of Lord Ashdown but his service record demands respect - well, it certainly does from me.

Al R
6th Sep 2013, 05:45
Jack,

Thanks - I read the book about Jack Cohen and Tesco recently and although Ian MacLaurin was mentioned, I don't think his service background was. Tesco, Asda, John Lewis.. thats the High Street sown up then.

Belvoir Lettings plc was started by Mike Goddard who retired as a Wing Commander in 1995.

The Old Fat One
6th Sep 2013, 05:57
I was watching an old Parkinson interview of David Niven the other day and he came up with this gem during his time in the army in Malta...

{context - ACR interview with the Colonel}

Colonel, "This officer knows less about the army that his friends in the navy"

Niven, "Thank you very much sir, very generous". Salutes, marches out.

Made I laugh

Melchett01
6th Sep 2013, 07:29
Probably time to stop laughing then, observing that you are clearly unaware that, at the period in question, a Captain in the Royal Marines was equivalent in rank to a Major in the Army, when afloat, and would have held the local rank of Major if serving with the Army, and was paid accordingly in both cases

Eh? How does that work? Can I be a pretend Lt Col then?

Union Jack
6th Sep 2013, 09:01
Yes, of course you can, Melchett! In fact, you can be pretend to be anything you like, although I must say that I never had you down as a walt!:)

Suggest you have a wee shoogle with Google and, to help you, the date the rules changed, and Royal Marines and Army officer ranks up to full Colonel came into line was 1 Jul 99.:ok:

Jack

dkh51250
7th Sep 2013, 07:13
Bill Wyman, guitar plucker of the Strolling Bones. RAF National Serviceman 1955-57

Melchett01
7th Sep 2013, 17:11
Jack - I don't dispute the fact, I just don't understand it!

Heathrow Harry
8th Sep 2013, 09:48
Jimi Hendrix - 101st Airborne

Al R
9th Sep 2013, 10:11
Further to Jack Cohen ex RAF/RFC..

BBC News - Tesco: How one supermarket came to dominate (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23988795)

Once A Brat
9th Sep 2013, 11:33
Union Jack wrote "Suggest you have a wee shoogle with Google and, to help you, the date the rules changed, and Royal Marines and Army officer ranks up to full Colonel came into line was 1 Jul 99.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif"

I remember the day well, I used to deal regularly with a RM Officer at the time who was a Lt on the Monday, promoted to Capt on the Tuesday and then became a Major on the Wednesday (1 Jul 99) when RM aligned its ranks with the Army rather than the Navy!!

I'm sure that, under RN traditions, that there can only ever be one Capt on board so visting RM and Army officers are always referred to as Major when embarked!

Heathrow Harry
9th Sep 2013, 14:51
not so - in the great days of battlefleets many ships had more than one Captain (rank) on board

The person in command of any vessel may be referred to as "Captain" even if he /she is a Commander or even lower on the totem pole

One is a Rank the other a Role

Willard Whyte
9th Sep 2013, 21:29
Jimi Hendrix - 101st Airborne In the same vein, Billy Cotton(!)

Slightly different musical genre 'tis true, although one supposes 'big band' was as revolutionary at the time as was Hendrix's setting alight of guitars and regency-style silk shirts allied to frizzy-hair bear bunch maniacal on-stage persona.

(Oh, BC learnt to fly a 'plane, apparently.)

NutLoose
9th Sep 2013, 22:36
Putin, ex Lt Col KGB to Obama's nemesis.

magicmick
10th Sep 2013, 10:55
Shaggy - ex USMC

Al R
18th Sep 2013, 18:45
Bread specialist from Oakham rises to take Baker of the Year crown - Rutland Times (http://www.rutland-times.co.uk/news/local/bread-specialist-from-oakham-rises-to-take-baker-of-the-year-crown-1-5499717)

During his career Julian has served in the RAF and worked at 10 Downing Street, during John Major’s time as Prime Minister.

ian16th
11th Oct 2013, 07:59
Today's Telegraph has an article on the '10 Greatest Ashes Tests'

Ashes 2013: Two nations, one rivalry - 10 unforgettable Tests - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10167091/Ashes-2013-Two-nations-one-rivalry-10-unforgettable-Tests.html)

Of interest is the Test rated as 6th best, that had an RAF National Serviceman playing.

The Test finished on the 4th day!

6) The Oval 1953 * England won by 8 wickets.
After four draws, England, captained at last by a professional in Len Hutton, sealed a famous victory at the Oval to regain the Ashes for the first time in almost 20 years.
England boasted a top six as good as they have ever fielded - Hutton, Bill Edrich, Peter May, Denis Compton, Tom Graveney and Trevor Bailey - and Australia had their great opening pair of fast bowlers, Ray Lindwall and Keith Miller. But on a dry Oval pitch, Australia erroneously left out leg spinner Richie Benaud, while England picked their Surrey spin twins Jim Laker and Tony Lock, despite suspicions about Lock’s bowling action.
They applied the critical incision after lunch on the third day, sharing nine wickets as Australia were bowled out for 162, leaving England 132 to win. England got there after lunch on the fourth day, Compton regally dispatching the ball to the boundary for the winning runs after which he was engulfed by ecstatic supporters.
Lindsay Hassett, Australia’s captain, complimented England on their win but added, waspishly, “even though Lockie threw us out.”
Fred Trueman, who had been summoned from RAF duty to play in the match, received a telegram at the end that said simply: ‘Notice Test match finished. Expected back 23.59 hours.’
:ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Oct 2013, 09:49
‘Notice Test match finished. Expected back 23.59 hours.

bit long-winded for a Yorkshireman;)

'back by midnight' would have been cheaper too

ian16th
11th Oct 2013, 15:10
My understanding is that FST received the telegram.

It was probably sent by the SWO at RAF Hemswell.