PDA

View Full Version : Oranges and Lemons (Grumpy old man rant)

UniFoxOs
23rd Aug 2013, 10:02
SWMBO has a PAYG mobile on a service from a well-known provider. Last night she gets a text saying she only has 54p credit left. Apart from the stupidity of waiting until credit is so low (it's not as easy to top up as they think) it's not a bad idea to get a warning.

So she dials up to try to add credit. Credit card number not recognised.
So she goes outside and tries again (crap signal in our house). Credit card number not recognised. Up till now she has been typing the numbers on the keypad. Tries a service where it is supposed to recognise voice prompts. The simple word "Yes" is not recognised to start the process. The system advises her to call to the service desk. Fine.

Except - "You do not have enough credit to call this number" ????

If it hadn't been a present from me I think it would have been in the liquidiser.

/rant mode off/

Windy Militant
23rd Aug 2013, 11:09
There's your trouble if you had a contract where you gave lots of your money to the provider for a service you don't really need they'd not be bothered sending you a reminder that you owe them the Peruvian national debt or similar!
I think that the trades description people should have a word about the cavalier way these people use the term service provider, maybe they should be called money redistributors instead.

I recently got a call from my interweb providers which ran something along the lines of "As you've been a valued customer for x many years we have decided to reward you with a free mobile phone" after much spiel they quietly slipped in that said phone would cost me thirteen quid, at which point I raised the query as to if i was getting a free phone why was it costing me thirteen quid, also the persistent young lady made much about free calls and texts I would get. Much less was made of the fact that this only lasted for six months and then you went onto a normal contract. At this point I politely declined the offer, mind you she was still trying to con-vince me as I put the phone down.:=

Capetonian
23rd Aug 2013, 11:26
Generally these prepaid deals are not worth the aggravation. I have gone to contract on three of mine (different countries). In every case the lowest contract gives me far more time and messages than I need - my UK one gives me 800 minutes and unlimited texts for about 11/month. My month-end was yesterday and I ended it with about 700 minutes left! I can only come to the conclusion that these contracts are for women and teenagers, as with one exception, all my male friends say their average cellphone conversation is 40 seconds. SWMBO and my teenage son on the other hand consistently exceed the 4 hours per month on their contracts.

VP959
23rd Aug 2013, 11:34
I found a deal from the people that supply my landline phone and ADSL connection that suits me well (as another one of the "40 second phone call brigade").

The deal is a bit like a PAYG, but without the need to top up the phone or have credit in order to make calls. There's a fixed 2 a month fee, and you just pay for calls/texts as you use them (no free calls etc).

For someone who only makes a few calls a month, yet needs the convenience of a mobile, I find it pretty much ideal. All the previous deals I've had have been pay monthly for a lot more money and I've never come close to using the free calls/text allowance anyway.

UniFoxOs
23rd Aug 2013, 14:11
The deal is a bit like a PAYG, but without the need to top up the phone or have credit in order to make calls. There's a fixed 2 a month fee, and you just pay for calls/texts as you use them (no free calls etc).

For someone who only makes a few calls a month, yet needs the convenience of a mobile, I find it pretty much ideal. All the previous deals I've had have been pay monthly for a lot more money and I've never come close to using the free calls/text allowance anyway.

That's the sort of thing I need. I only use about 20 a year, and it's a pain having to top up. A deal where the provider would direct debit me monthly for what I'd used would be ideal. SWMBO also only does about 50 a year, all contracts are far too expensive for what we do - although we might use it a bit more if we had a reasonable signal at home.

VP - is that a special deal tied in with your landline/ADSL or is it available to anybody? I am stuck with my current ADSL provider - it's free with my job, so I can't change, but I can change my mobile provider now it is possible to keep the same number.

VP959
23rd Aug 2013, 14:26
AFAIK it's not tied to having a land line with the company, I'll PM you a link to avoid advertising here. It's a 30 day contract, so if you don't like it you can switch after a month without penalty.

I transferred my existing mobile number that I've had for years, pretty easy, just called my old provider, asked them to cancel my contract and give me a PAC code. Gave the PAC code to the new provider and they sent me a new SIM card. On changeover day I just had to swap SIM cards when the phone stopped working with my old provider (remembering to switch my phone book to the phone memory first).