PDA

View Full Version : US 'lucky' to avoid a terror scenario involving aircraft

underfire
22nd Aug 2013, 22:33
WASHINGTON Twelve years after the Sept. 11 suicide hijackings killed more than 3,000 people, outgoing FBI Director Robert Mueller said the terror scenario he fears most remains an attack on an aircraft.

Mueller, in a rare briefing with reporters before his scheduled departure Sept. 4, said officials were "lucky'' to have avoided tragedies when bombs in planes in 2009 and 2010 one planted in the underwear of a passenger and the others rigged in printers that were being transported on cargo aircraft failed.

"My biggest worry is an attack on a plane,'' said Mueller, who began his tenure the week before the most deadly attacks on U.S. soil.

Mueller's doomsday scenario: Attack on an aircraft (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/22/mueller-fbi-doomsday-aircraft-attack/2685025/)

PAX_Britannica
22nd Aug 2013, 23:40
Oh-Kay.

Would you care to remind us of the number of RTA casualties in the USA in 2001 ?

Or perhaps the number of firearms related deaths in the USA in 2001 ?

To me, it seems like it might be a useful objective to get the rate of firearms-related deaths down to - say - a similar level to Switzerland. Or the Road-Traffic-related death rate down to something like that of Germany.

A heavily armed population seems like a good thing to me. The Swiss seem to get by without every bar-room brawl being settled with Anti-Tank weapons.

After you've had a look at these rather simple problems, you might stretch yourself by figuring out a healthcare system for the USA that isn't so stunningly expensive, and saves a lot more lives.

Al-Queda getting Nukes is worth worrying about. But only if they get professionally made nukes, not just some kind of messy bomb.

I'd say you were leading with your chin, talking to folk who get searched for pen-knives or less, but have an axe in the cockpit.

SLFguy
23rd Aug 2013, 12:55
Oh-Kay.

Would you care to remind us of the number of RTA casualties in the USA in 2001 ?

Or perhaps the number of firearms related deaths in the USA in 2001 ?

To me, it seems like it might be a useful objective to get the rate of firearms-related deaths down to - say - a similar level to Switzerland. Or the Road-Traffic-related death rate down to something like that of Germany.

A heavily armed population seems like a good thing to me. The Swiss seem to get by without every bar-room brawl being settled with Anti-Tank weapons.

After you've had a look at these rather simple problems, you might stretch yourself by figuring out a healthcare system for the USA that isn't so stunningly expensive, and saves a lot more lives.

Al-Queda getting Nukes is worth worrying about. But only if they get professionally made nukes, not just some kind of messy bomb.

I'd say you were leading with your chin, talking to folk who get searched for pen-knives or less, but have an axe in the cockpit.

wtf? Did you even read the OP before responding???

Sallyann1234
23rd Aug 2013, 13:18
I'm note sure what sort of point you were making with that mish-mash of apparently conflicting notes,
but this one shows a startling ignorance:
Al-Queda getting Nukes is worth worrying about. But only if they get professionally made nukes, not just some kind of messy bomb.Do you not realise that "some kind of messy bomb" could require the whole of central London to be evacuated and become uninhabitable for a considerable period?
Is that not something to be concerned about?

Dak Man
23rd Aug 2013, 15:11
"some kind of messy bomb" could require the whole of central London to be evacuated and become uninhabitable for a considerable period

Every cloud eh........;)

Airborne Aircrew
23rd Aug 2013, 16:22
Every cloud eh........http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

We could use one of those for Washington... :E

Sallyann1234
23rd Aug 2013, 16:52
Yeah, OK. I asked for that one. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif