PDA

View Full Version : LIFE MEANS LIFE

superq7
22nd Aug 2013, 15:50
Triple murderer Arthur Hutchinson 73, has challenged his " life must mean life sentence"

The European Court of Human Rights ruled that whole-life sentences were inhuman and degrading. ( The Times )

rgbrock1
22nd Aug 2013, 15:54
Ah yes, the bleating denizens of the European Court of Human Rights. The same ones who deemed it "inhumane" to ship out a known terrorist from Britain back to his country of origin because to do so would be "inhumane."

Buttholes, the whole lot of 'em.

500N
22nd Aug 2013, 16:00
Don't know why the UK don't tear up the charter and tell them
to GGF once and for all.

If the guy hadn't killed 3 people, he wouldn't be in this position !!!

pigboat
22nd Aug 2013, 16:08
If the guy hadn't killed 3 people, he wouldn't be in this position !!!

His crime was society's fault.

500N
22nd Aug 2013, 16:13
Sorry, my mistake.

I forgot that we can't blame the person who actually committed the crime,
it's everyone else's fault !!!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
22nd Aug 2013, 16:17
Well, if he's not happy, perhaps we should switch back to the 'Life means Death' option.

Mariner9
22nd Aug 2013, 16:18
Hutchinson, from Hartlepool....

The ECHR judges have clearly never been to Hartlepool if they feel it would be less inhuman and degrading to let him die there :E

airship
22nd Aug 2013, 16:19
As often, we have the usual culprits criticising the EU or European governments and institutions "on a whim".

The "usual" gang members have much to say about Europe, but much less to say about their own govenrnments' current activities...?!

All I can really contribute here today, is that in 20-30 years time, they (and I) will be no more. :ok:

rgbrock1
22nd Aug 2013, 16:19
Fox3 wrote:

Well, if he's not happy, perhaps we should switch back to the 'Life means Death' option.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That kind of attitude gets the fluffies all bent out of shape and looking for the nearest tree to hug.

I can hear the bleating now.

The SSK
22nd Aug 2013, 16:32
Usual knee-jerk reaction.

CHR is not saying he should be released, they are saying that there should be a review procedure. There was a review procedure for full term lifers, it was withdrawn ten years ago, now I suppose it will have to be reinstated.

He'll still die in jail is my guess.

Lonewolf_50
22nd Aug 2013, 16:41
airship:
As often, we have the usual culprits criticising the EU or European governments and institutions "on a whim". The "usual" gang members have much to say about Europe, but much less to say about their own govenrnments' current activities...?!
Regardless of what failings the government of UK, Russian, Japan, the US, or Brazil have, anyone from one of those countries could look at what the EU or the HCR does and point out what is wrong with it. One is not required to be perfect in all ways to render a judgment or a criticism of a failing somewhere else. You thus engage in an attempt at a fallacious argument, if you even have an argument to bring.

Fallacy #1. Tu quoque (NO ... BUT YOU!) is not a counter argument. It is more or a personal attack.

Fallacy #2: goal post moving or red herring (Could be either)

When the topic is one thing, you try to divert it to something else for your own reasons.

Sometimes, you can read the term "you are applying a logical fallacy" to actually mean "you are full of it, and here is why." Other times, it's just a way of going back and forth in a debate or discussion.

Your input (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/521984-life-means-life.html#post8006625) is without merit. If you have something of merit to offer on the topic, please do so. Life sentences for crimes, like murder, is the topic.

SSK:
He'll still die in jail is my guess.
You are probably right. That does not appear to address the complaint in the OP, however your point on reviews is noted and appreciated as background info. :ok:

bcgallacher
22nd Aug 2013, 16:43
I would imagine that the expensive lawyers will be paid by the British tax payer. We must be insane to put up with this.

Alloa Akbar
22nd Aug 2013, 16:47
He'll still die in jail is my guess

Hutchinson: I would like parole

Judge: Fcuk off.

Hutchinson: But my sentence is inhumane, ECHR says I must have a review.. I demand it!

Judge2: OK we've reviewed your case, you can still fcuk off.

The end. :cool:

air pig
22nd Aug 2013, 17:02
Usual knee-jerk reaction.

CHR is not saying he should be released, they are saying that there should be a review procedure. There was a review procedure for full term lifers, it was withdrawn ten years ago, now I suppose it will have to be reinstated.

He'll still die in jail is my guess

Die in jail, at the end of a stout hempen rope, now prisoners weight in pounds divided into 1000 equals length in drop in inches plus 13 inches added for the 1913 drop tables, and a executioners eye to maybe add or delete an inch or two.:E:E:E

Mariner9
22nd Aug 2013, 18:12
Wouldn't be allowed nowadays air pig.

You might get away with weight in Kilos divided by 45 plus 33cm +/- 5cm though. And the executioner would have to wear a hi-viz vest.

PS Think I'd make a crap metric executioner. My drop would only be ~35cm per the above formula!

air pig
22nd Aug 2013, 18:26
You might get away with weight in Kilos divided by 45 plus 33cm +/- 5cm though. And the executioner would have to wear a hi-viz vest.

PS Think I'd make a crap metric executioner. My drop would only be ~35cm per the above formula!

You've forgotten the safety helmet, tut tut, you could seriously hurt yourself . :E:E

Ancient Mariner
22nd Aug 2013, 18:27
Here we are really not into kill, hang, inject and shoot.
However:
Within two years of their release, 20% of Norway's prisoners end up back in jail. In the U.K. and the U.S., the figure hovers between 50% and 60%. Of course, a low level of criminality gives Norway a massive advantage. Its prison roll lists a mere 3,300, or 69 per 100,000 people, compared with 2.3 million in the U.S., or 753 per 100,000 the highest rate in the world.
Read more: Norway's Halden Fengsel Prison: Humane Rehab for Inmates - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1986002,00.html#ixzz2cigxHUEK)

tony draper
22nd Aug 2013, 19:03
IMHO all the good things in Norway are down to their low population,there are just over five million Norwegians,compare that to the insane population level in the UK, sixty five million? plus the other few millions not on the books.:uhoh:

MG23
22nd Aug 2013, 19:28
Here we are really not into kill, hang, inject and shoot.
However:

Are you sure they're not just really bad at catching criminals?

Capetonian
22nd Aug 2013, 19:52
I am starting to feel that the death penalty is not an appropriate punishment for some of the vile murdering scumbags and thugs who blight so many lives.

Before anyone thinks I am about to turn into a lefty pinko bleeding heart liberal, I am gradually starting to conclude that being tagged and forced to spend the rest of one's miserable worthless life in some shithole like Swindon, Luton, Harlow, or Wigan might be a far worse punishment than the release that is brought by death.

500N
22nd Aug 2013, 20:13
I see someone mentioned Parole.

Parole, reduction in sentence that might lead them to be released eventually ?

Well we have a real shyte fight on here in Aus at the moment (Melbourne)
because of 3 women, all separate incidents that were killed by 3 people
on parole. At least two of which had broken parole conditions but not
been put back in jail.

I think at least two had already murdered before.

All this give them the benefit of the doubt, let's be kind to them, let them
out on parole crap has caused.

So Airship, yes, the usual gang saying the usual things, well tough,
you don't want to spend life in jail don't go around murdering people.

If you want the alternative, plenty of people around to pull the trigger
which will settle the issue once and for all.

Ancient Mariner
22nd Aug 2013, 22:36
MG23:
Are you sure they're not just really bad at catching criminals?

I wouldn't be surprised.
Per