PDA

View Full Version : Schools in Ireland?

madcow
24th Feb 2001, 18:01
Anybody know about flight schools in Ireland, I know you have Westair in Shannon and Southair in Cork. What are they like?

Cheers

------------------
madcow

Patsy 001
25th Feb 2001, 01:27
I'm with Aldergrove Flight Training and can thoroughly recommend them if you are in N Ireland - good bunch of people and its at an international airport with all the commercial traffic, radio calls, wake turbulence separation etc.

I have had 6 lessons with the intention of getting some experience and applying to the usual sponsorships this year - I may go and do my PPL with the school however if the sponsorships don't work out.

Give them a call.

Teroc
25th Feb 2001, 09:23
Madcow,
The 2 "biggies" in Dublin are Weston and Aerial......both operate out of Weston aerodrome in Lucan, which is about 6 miles outside Dublin city centre. Theyre both good schools with some really dedicated and genuine folk...However due to the abysmal stage of GA in Ireland theyre fighting a major uphill battle...Theyre only approved to JAA PPL as far as Im aware.
GA in Ireland is "assisted" by those wonderful people in the IAA (Irish aviation authority)...or if you like ....Idiots Against Aviation.....
Dont even get me started on that one....bunch of fecking desk jockeys who do everything to prevent you getting anywhere...
forgive the cynicism people, but if you spent anytime here at all dealing with these clowns you'd know what I meant.
Example...I know a foreign pilot who among other things had 1500 hours on an F18...he came over to Ireland to do his commercial licence..before he could fly solo in Ireland the IAA insisted....wait for this one....that he did 3 hours out in Weston in a Cessna 150 !!
Lord give me strength......

mutt
25th Feb 2001, 10:05
Madcow,

You didnt say what type of pilots licence you are looking for. At present you can only do a PPL in Ireland, if you are looking at doing a CPL there are lots of schools in Europe and the USA where you can go, but there are none in Ireland.

Mutt :)

keepitlit
25th Feb 2001, 13:49
With reference to your question,I did my PPL at Newtownards(EGAD-six miles SSE of Belfast)
It was a good basic steping stone towards a career.
With regards to training out of a busy airport its good for experience at the latter part of PPL training but Newtownards is better for the first 25/35hrs(less traffic thus less holding more relevant training saving you money and less hassel).
With regards to any Commercial Training I would sujust obtaining a UK ATPL as this opens up a greater area for job hunting as it is accepted in both the UK and Ireland and most companys throughout the world(its a highly respected Licence).
If you have any questions on,which Schools or requirements drop me an email and I'll give you my veiw speaking from experience.

Happy flying,keep the blue side up :) :):}

mutt
25th Feb 2001, 15:38
Keepitlit,

You cant start an Irish CPL or ATPL course at this time, we are presently in a transitional stage where you can finish these licences, but you cant start one.

Anybody starting off today must do a JAR licence.

I thought that the same applied to the CAA licence?

Mutt

ALT
25th Feb 2001, 18:34
I've checked them all about 3 years ago, and my vote for best flight school in Ireland was Southaer in Cork
As regards the comments by TEROC, I can drink to that, in fact I probably have on more than one occasion. I was lucky to scrape through, but my resolve was severely tested.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

keepitlit
25th Feb 2001, 20:21
OK mutt,
The correct wording should be,to study for a JAR Frozen ATPL in the UK(its still is a UK national Licece as well as a JAR one). :)
But as you said you can't start one in Ireland anyway(so why start a course only go back to Ireland to finish it?Sorry I dont see your logic.
Im just trying to give homeboys a bit of info as this business is hard enough! :)

birdlady
24th Mar 2004, 21:50
Hello everyone!!!

Just wondering if anyone can recommend places to do there JAA CPL in the Uk or Ireland and a good ATPL ground course. Im living in S. Africa at the mo and have just completed my JAA PPL here. Unfortunately school has gone bankrupt. AHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!! Ive heard good things and bad things about Oxford. What are your thoughts? Giving me major sleepless nights. What are your recomendations on doing a multi Ir namely where and at what point in your training. :{ :{ :{ :{ :confused: :confused: :confused:

PaddyMcGinty
25th Mar 2004, 00:10
I'm doing my first ATPL module with Bristol Groundschool and I definately can't fault them. Material and CD-ROM is excellent. Cant compare it to others but I'd definately recommend them.

Stephen

birdlady
25th Mar 2004, 19:45
Thanks Stephen

Your irish. me to. I have heard great things about Bristol from a lot of people. I presume you are doing distance learning. Do you mind if I ask where you are doing all your flying cause I am looking for a place to do my hour building and comm. See I was doing it here in SA and unfortunately the school has gone bankrupt and they are the only ones who offer JAA. Not impressed but what can you do.

Caroline

Clrd2Land
25th Mar 2004, 20:47
Have you tried these two in Ireland;

The Pilot Training College of Ireland.
http://www.pilottraining.ie

The National Flight Center.
http://www.nfc.ie

Both, I believe, offer ATPL ground school courses.

Topgun 4122T
25th Mar 2004, 22:22
Hi birdlady,
Im also from Ireland and hold a ppl licence and the Atpl exams which i compleated with Bristol groundschool.
You must keep in mind that if you do your flight training in Ireland Thats fine there is a good school in Weston airport called National flight centre like one other person has already suggested but be carefull because, there is only one school in Ireland that teach the Atpl course and that is pan aviation who are I.A.A registered which puts a big restriction on you if you would rather complete your cpl training under jar regulations C.A.A which i would suggest.
Hope that helps .....

leadinghedges
26th Mar 2004, 23:36
I'm Irish too but did my training in England. If you want to get an ATPL in any reasonable amount of time and still remain sane FORGET ABOUT IRELAND!. The facilities are just not in place. I have heard numerous horror stories of tech problems, lack of aircraft, ppl's taking YEARS!. Go abroad and good luck.

PaddyMcGinty
26th Mar 2004, 23:53
I completely agree with leadinghedges. Its just not worth the hastle! I'm irish but god i definately wouldnt recommend training here.

birdlady
28th Mar 2004, 12:56
Hi guys

Can you recommend any names of schools in the Uk that are good for atp ground courses? and even places where I should stay away from. I have to say scotland looks quite interesting. Thanks :ok: :ok: :ok:

EL SID
31st Mar 2004, 18:32
Hi Birdlady
Check your PM box
ES

snowbird69
4th Apr 2004, 10:04
Edited for abuse.

silverknapper
4th Apr 2004, 11:45
Caroline

I think I remember you from FTC!!!
I did groundschool with Bristol, it really is excellent. Even better you can stay over there if you want to and just come here for the course and exams - believe me the difference with the FTC groundschool is like night and day, ask any guys who went with FTC - not many have even finished yet!
As for Scotland - I live here at the mo. The only school for ground school is Glasgow Nautical college. You can go either full or part time there but I've heard mixed reports on the place so do a bit more digging around before going there. I did and on the back of that went for Bristol distance learning in favour of glasgow full time.
So the rumours are true then!!! When did they finally go?

SK

flapsnslats
5th Apr 2004, 22:17
If your still in south africa.How about doing your hour building their you only need 150 hour total time according to jar fcl.To be able to sit the groundschool course.I presume its the same in the uk.Unless of course money is not an issue.
check out www.panaviation.ie/atpl.htm they have summed up your next steps nicely.

birdlady
6th Apr 2004, 10:25
Hi everyone!!

I have decided that I am going to do my SA CPL Mult IR here in sa cause its ALOT cheaper and the weather is a lot better so I will finish a lot quicker. Then I may return to europe and convert or I may stay here havent decided. Thanks everyone for all the helpful info.

Birdlady

flying paddy
11th Aug 2004, 21:08
Hi
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has done UK JAA ppl and ATPL exams and has gone over to Ireland to do CPL course. I have read as much as I can on the search engine, but I can not find the answer if it can be done. I know Atlantic and Bristol have affilated flying schools there and I am waiting for answers from them. The reason I am asking is that I live in Northern Ireland and it will make more sense to travel from here. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Flying Paddy

grafity
11th Aug 2004, 21:32
You might find www.flyinginireland.com helpfull. It's a good site for anyone who's interested in aviation in Ireland. From what I heard PTC are very friendly and the aircraft are of good quality I don't know much more than that.

too_sleepy
12th Aug 2004, 09:32
Hello flying paddy

Are there any schools in Northern Ireland you could train with?

I have a CAA PPL and am currently studying for my IAA ATPL exams. Before starting the IAA ATPL course I was told by the school that I could complete my commercial training in any JAR state. I should have cjecked this out myself so it's my own fault. But as it stands at the moment if you start your training, your ATPL, in one JAR country you must complete your training in that country.
Both the CAA and IAA will tell you that if thter's a prior agreement between the two states then you can change your state for training. This would mean writing to both organisations explaining why you want to change. If they agree you can do your commercial course in Ireland.

From my experience it's a huge headache to switch states. What I plan on doing is completing my commercial in Ireland and possibly doing my multi and IR in the UK. As far as I know the multi and IR are merely ratings added to your commercial so these can be done in any JAR state.
I hope I've been of some help

NACGS
12th Aug 2004, 13:01
From experience in sending students doing JAA CPL and IR conversion from the USA, we give PTC in Waterford :ok: :ok: :ok: top marks.

Talk to Darragh, he will answer all your questions. I think there is a agreement between the IAA and CAA for mutual recognition of the theory exams between the countries. But I am not a expert on Irish Aviation, so ask Darragh.

too_sleepy
12th Aug 2004, 14:44
Hi

According to the IAA and CAA there is no such agreement for automatic acceptance of ATPL exams. You will need to apply to each authority, decisions are made on a case by case basis.
They will want to know why you started commercial training in the UK if you want to complete your training in Ireland.
Also, if you complete your commercial in ireland you will be issued with an IAA license.
PTC in Waterford are very helpfil and I've only heard good reports from their students, but you do need to check this out yourself, no school can do this for you.

Blinkz
12th Aug 2004, 16:04
The UK CAA is one of the more helpful JAA states, they will accept certain things, however exams is one thing they don't accept as they don't use the JAA question base, they use their own questions.

I'm hoping to transfer my german class 1 medical to the UK so as I can start my training here in the UK.

birdlady
12th Aug 2004, 16:30
Hi

So let me get this straight. If you start your Atp's in England and then do your CPL in Ireland it may not be accepted. Or am I just getting the wrong end of the stick. The reason why I ask this is cause I will be moving back to Ireland shortly to work and do my ATP's by correspondance through Bristol. Once Ive saved up some cash I want to do my CPL, Multi IR and instructors through PTC. I thought the IAA was all JAA approved or am I wrong. All horribly confusing!!!!!!
Has anyone heard anything about National Flight Centre in Dublin or Atlantic in Cork??

Thanks BL

Blinkz
12th Aug 2004, 17:03
birdlady,
no your right in that the IAA is fully JAA approved, its just that being JAA approved doesn't mean that it will be accepted in all JAA states. The IAA may not accept the CAAs ATPL exams, you will have to check with them. The CAA will generally accept most JAA stuff, except exams.

BillieBob
12th Aug 2004, 17:53
Let's see if we can get this clear.

The first step you take towards a professional licence determines the 'State of Licence Issue' (SLI). Thus, if you take the theoretical knowledge examinations, for example, in the UK, the UK becomes your SLI. All other requirements for the licence must be completed in that State and the licence will be issued by the National Authority of that State.

Should you wish to change your SLI to, say, Eire, you will need to satisfy the Authorities in both States (CAA and IAA) that you have a bona fide reason for doing so. If both States agree, then Eire becomes your SLI and your JAA licence will be issued by the IAA. All requirements already met (TK exams, medical, etc.) should be accepted by the new SLI, although this is not always the case. For example, most States will require you to pass their own Class 1 medical.

No matter which State issues the licence, it should be accepted by all other Member States of the JAA. This is fine in theory but certain States do everything in their power to avoid this responsibility in an attempt to protect their own training industry.

Once you have the licence issued, training for any further ratings (MEP, IR, etc.) may take place in any Member State and the SLI should accept the training without formality and add the rating to your licence - but see previous paragraph.

Of course, this may all change when EASA assumes responsibility for Flight Crew Licensing in a couple of years time. Nobody, least of all EASA itself, yet knows what is going to happen then.

too_sleepy
13th Aug 2004, 09:27
Well said BillieBob

birdlady, if you register directly with Bristol you will be signing up to study for your ATPLs with a CAA approved school. If you want to train for the CPL in Ireland you will have to go through all this hastle of getting the IAA and CAA to accept a transfer of state of license issue.
BUT, if you sign up to Bristol through Pan Aviation, panaviation.ie, you will be signing up with an IAA approved school and will be studying the Bristol course but sitting the IAA ATPL exams in Dublin. It's exactly the same course, the only difference is that your two week brush up course is in Dublin and your exams are in Dublin. It's also more expensive but what isn't in this place.

birdlady
13th Aug 2004, 15:16
Thanks guys for the info. As soon as Im done here Ill be applying to Pan Aviation. I heard they were good and a lot of the notes they use are Bristols?

BL

:ok: :ok: :ok:

candler
7th Dec 2005, 19:49
anyone know how long you have to wait for a flight test in Ireland these days.Back in the 90s i had to wait about six months for my cpl/ir.

d2k73
7th Dec 2005, 20:09
hopefully quicker than the driving test!!

powdermonkey
8th Dec 2005, 05:40
Candler,
This was for my PPL a few years ago, but only waited a bit more than a week for examiner to contact me. After that it was down to the weather.............:ugh:
Not sure what the time delay is now, but can't imagine it's much different.

flighttime2.0
8th Dec 2005, 09:47
depends on the test your doing. If it is a multi Ir you can expect to wait up to 12 weeks at the moment and I'm sure cpl will not be to far behind. flighttime

vestedinterestagent
15th Dec 2005, 13:06
Anyone know what the "average"or typical wait for a professional test is in UK (England)?

ricky-godf
15th Dec 2005, 14:12
In the UK, I would say three days to a week for the CPL (you are allowed to call directly an examiner), while at least a week for the IR (this time, all the exam bookings pass through the CAA).
I had to wait three days for the CPL (August), then a week for the IR, that has been cancelled twice, and both rebookings were a week later (September).
The UK CAA is bloody expensive but I have to admit pretty efficient.

regards

thunderbird-1
2nd Nov 2006, 14:43
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a flight school in Ireland, not too far from Dublin with IFR aircraft in order to keep training :8 . Can anyone advise?

Many thanks :ok:

cheers

Sean H
2nd Nov 2006, 19:29
NFC in weston!
also, just wanna say that you can now train to be a pilot in ireland in nearly all the 32 counties!!!!!:ok:

birdlady
2nd Nov 2006, 20:30
2 1/2years later and Im still in the same boat. :{ :{ Why does flying have to be so expensive............:{ :{ :{ :{ :{

thunderbird-1
3rd Nov 2006, 22:10
Hi

I know nfc (I should have mention it), but thanks for the info Sean H.
Don't you know an other one ??
It seems that most of school/aeroclub are in the west side. As I live and work in Dublin, I don't want to drive 2-3 hours for one flight in the weekend.
I would like to find a school/aeroclub with nice aircraft (HSI equipped at least).
By the way I'm already a pilot :cool: .

Cheers

pilotbear
4th Nov 2006, 13:38
Skytrace at Weston is linked to Pilot Training College (commercial school)in Waterford

2close
19th Nov 2006, 13:45
Any current info about on Atlantic Flight Centre at Cork?

What are the current waiting times for CPL exams in Ireland?

All info greatly appreciated.

2close

kellyr4
24th May 2007, 08:48
I am looking for your advise / opinion regarding training. I will firstly describe my position at the moment.

I am 26 years old with a soon to be wife, 1 year old daughter and a 35 year mortgage hanging over my head living in Dublin. I work for Ireland's national airline (not sure if I can say the name but its the one with the shamrock as its logo!) in Corporate Finance and am currently studying for the ACCA professional accountancy exams.

However, I have the dream to become an airline pilot. What is increasing my hunger to do it, is the fact that my twin brother is now a First Officer with the Irish airline with the Harp as its logo. He went to Naples in Florida last year and did all of his training from beginner to frozen ATPL. The jealously I feel for him is really getting unbearable! From when we were kids we both always wanted to be pilots, but we were always advised to go to University first to have something to fall back on. I did a Business degree and before I know it im training to be an accountant.

Anyway my question is simple. Due to the fact that I have a daughter and her mother to support, and a mortgage to pay, is there a possibility of doing an ab nitio to frozen ATPL course all in Ireland without having to go to the USA for a period of the training?

I would have to continue working to pay for my training. How long would it take to complete training to airline interview level, doing it part-time and in Ireland.

At 26 should I finish the accountancy first or get straight into flight training as time is against me?

Anybody who has trained in Ireland please let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you

rob-d
24th May 2007, 10:02
Hi Kellyr4,

It is possible to go from Ab Initio to frozen ATPL without going overseas for training. The issue for most is the cost of doing all your training in Ireland. It would be quite a bit more. One hour in a C172 in Weston will cost you about €200 at the moment.

Could you use your annual leave to go abroad to complete your flying, and do all theory work in your evenings while working?

How long have you left till you complete your ATTAs?

kellyr4
24th May 2007, 10:38
Cheers for the reponse.

Im pretty much in the early stages of the ACCA's with 12 subjects left. Most people working full time would complete 4 subjects a year so thatwould mean another 3 years to go. And believe me with a crying baby in the house, 2 subjects each term is definitely enough.

If I went abroad to get all my flying out of the way what would be the time frame on that? I know it takes a different timescale for each individual but a ball park figure would be good. I would propbably bring my 2 ladies with me.

If I opted to do everything in Ireland, say fly 2 hours a week, how long would it take to get to airline interview level?

The cost should not be a huge issue. I have my property for sale at the moment, and if it sells for the asking price I will make a 100k profit on it.

Cheers for your opinions

3bars
24th May 2007, 10:53
Hi Kelly,

I did my flight training while working fulltime for the airline with the harp onthe tail!!! Took me 3 years. IMHO, Would recommend that you keep away from Irish flight schools for the training...they tend to drag everything out. Did my PPL in 2 weeks in the states with no previous flying experience, my CPL in 3 weeks a year and a half and 14 exams later, and my Multi IR in England. Still managed to keep up my work commitments and 2-3 weeks isn't that long to be away from your family. You could bring them along for the holiday if finances allowed.

3Bars

kellyr4
24th May 2007, 11:30
3 bars thanks for your help. Your story has given me hope.

Just wondering a few things:

Where in the states did you get your PPL in 2 weeks? Thats very quick.

What would be your opinion on Spain for the PPL? And hour building too. I get good travel concessions at work if I had to go back and forth for the odd week of intensive hour building.

During the 3 years were you hour building in Ireland?

And the most important question...........are u currently flying the jets with the harp on the tail??

Cheers

3bars
24th May 2007, 11:57
Not flying for the Ryans...spent enough of my life with them...12yrs!!!

Did my PPL with a California school that gets no mention on Pprune - Scroggs.

Did my hour building in Ireland on various aircraft.

CPL in Orlando Flight Training... to be avoided if possible!!!!

IR in Stapleford in London....also not the best experience I've ever had.

Did the ATPL groundschool / Distance Learning through Oxford but would recommend Bristol from what I've heard.

MCC with Parc

Starting 757 type rating in the next few weeks...Yay:ok:

If I can help you with anything, let me know.

kellyr4
24th May 2007, 12:29
Cheers for the advise man uve certainly enlightened me of an avenue to go down.

i suppose the final question I have is how much did it all come to when you add up every part of your training?

3bars
24th May 2007, 14:07
Around 30K Euro to the frozen atpl..... mcc is another 5k and Type rating can be anything up to 30k:eek: