PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Bizjet shell as a film prop.

LovelyCJ
21st Aug 2013, 11:27
Working on a feature film in the UK and we need a mid sized biz jet for the studio.

A time ex early Challenger, Falcon 20 that kind of size would be ideal. Don't need interior, engines, avionics etc, just need for it to be on its wheels looking from 50ft like it could go flying..

Based in the Uk would be ideal, near Europe possible. Thousands to spend but not hundreds of thousands.

Anyone seen something sitting that might be a candidate?

Thanks in advance!

noneya
21st Aug 2013, 12:18
Not in the UK but in KPBI (West Palm Beach, Fl) is a Jetstar that can be had for fairly cheap.

Check the link below.. This plane has been there since I used to fly Jetstar's, and thats a long time ago, so I would believe the listed price is not their bottom price.

Hope this helps!
J

1962 LOCKHEED JETSTAR 731 Jet Aircraft For Sale At Controller.com (http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/LOCKHEED-JETSTAR-731/1962-LOCKHEED-JETSTAR-731/1196393.htm)

cockney steve
21st Aug 2013, 12:38
Maybe a daft question, but
just need for it to be on its wheels looking from 50ft like it could go flying..

why would you need to buy one, just to take pix?

I'm sure there are plenty of under-utilised aircraft / permanently-based aircraft, where an owner would take a generous handout in order to park it in the designated spot(s) for a few hour at a time,

what am I missing?

dallas
21st Aug 2013, 12:41
There are 4 black Dominies (HS125s) parked up in a line at Kemble, in case the subject of your film is a high roller :-)

LovelyCJ
21st Aug 2013, 12:55
"I'm sure there are plenty of under-utilised aircraft / permanently-based aircraft, where an owner would take a generous handout in order to park it in the designated spot(s) for a few hour at a time,

what am I missing?"

>

The "designated spot" is a film studio with no runway facilities. The wings will need to come off to get it in, we'll reassemble it inside and do our filming. Then we're going to dismantle it again, take it outside, reassemble it, touch up the paint, get rid of any oily finger prints and blow it up.

That's what you're missing..

:)

atakacs
21st Aug 2013, 13:44
I particularly liked the last part :)

SussexBroker
21st Aug 2013, 14:58
Although you say you don't have hundreds of thousands to spend... If you do have "thousands to spend" you can charter a super-mid/heavy jet for a daily minimum charge of around £10-15k or a mid-size aircraft for between £7k-10k. Furthermore, included in that fee, you can even get it to fly to Deauville (or somewhere within an hour's reach) for a nice bit of lunch to boot as well - this would also get you take-off/airborne/landing footage if you had another cameraman on ground.

Seems like a no-brainer if you have the budget, feel free to PM me if you would like me to point you in the right direction.

Evanelpus
21st Aug 2013, 16:07
Hello, Sussex

This is what CJ said earlier

The "designated spot" is a film studio with no runway facilities. The wings will need to come off to get it in, we'll reassemble it inside and do our filming. Then we're going to dismantle it again, take it outside, reassemble it, touch up the paint, get rid of any oily finger prints and blow it up.

Certainly seems like a no-brainer to hire one and then blow it up, I'm sure the owners would love that. Derrrrrrrr!

dallas
21st Aug 2013, 16:07
...just check you're allowed to take the wings off. It's often not mentioned in the small print of charter contracts.

The wings will need to come off to get it in

Flying Mechanic
21st Aug 2013, 17:12
If your close to Southampton airport, I thnk there's. jetstar 2 there.....u might be able to wangle to borrow it.

Anthony Supplebottom
21st Aug 2013, 17:15
I'm no film expert but if you only need a basic "shell" as you say, why don't you just make one out of plywood?

Trim Stab
21st Aug 2013, 18:59
...just check you're allowed to take the wings off. It's often not mentioned in the small print of charter contracts.

Actually I have never seen that mentioned in small print of charter contracts, so shouldn't pose a problem. Also, I have never seen a clause excluding blowing it up either :)

dallas
21st Aug 2013, 19:22
I'm not convinced of your argument Trim Stab, but I suppose a jury can decide. Perhaps you could use the 'Few Good Men' chow house strategy?

LASJayhawk
21st Aug 2013, 21:01
Falcon 20 is quite a bit smaller than a challenger.

I'm thinking something like a Saberliner might be a good bet. Most have cycled out of life, so I wouldn't think the airframe parts you will blow up have much value. If they all haven't been turned into beer cans by now.

I would call some aircraft dismantles in your area, and see if they have anything you could use.

cockney steve
21st Aug 2013, 22:41
AH! SO! I wasn't missing anything......You (O.P.) stated you just needed something to film from ~50 feet.

What you actually wanted an airframe that can be dismantled enough to get into a studio, reassembled for filming,dismantled again and moved to an outside location where it can be blown up
(presume that's explosive deconstruction and not "photographic enlargement ":} As the last poster suggested, a dismantling co. may be your best bet (or someone saddled with a hulk they can't insure. can't make airworthy and can't sell.)

flynorth
25th Aug 2013, 21:43
dallas was close! Go to Kemble but the other side of the field and see Cotswold Aero Maintenance. They have all sorts there!

ctrautve
30th Aug 2013, 18:16
Just make sure that whatever bizjet type that you use for filming inside the cabin is the same type that you show flying in any exterior shots. It drives me crazy when the inside shots are done in a large-cabin Gulfstream and then the exterior shots show a midsize Hawker or Cessna Citation. Continuity, please.

LASJayhawk
30th Aug 2013, 18:58
This.

Was watching a show nod the interior was a Gulfstream. The outside was a citation in some shots, and a Lear in others. The cockpit? Glad you asked, it was a King Air. :p

Brizeguy
17th Oct 2013, 20:05
Hi LovelyCJ

Did you get sorted? May be able to help if still required.
See PM's.

Thanks
BG