PDA

View Full Version : Catalina over Central London

joy ride
21st Aug 2013, 10:18
Cycling back to my workshop from the shops 10 minutes ago I spotted a Catalina going right over our yard, at perhaps 2-3,000 ft, heading S.E.. Magnificent sight, white with smokey tinted "bubbles", so perhaps the very one whose wing my Dad, sister and I stood under at Culdrose about 5 or six years ago. We were under there for an hour to shelter from the worst effects of the British Summer before finally making a dash for one of the hangars.

In WW2 Dad had trained as FAA O/N and suddenly had a scary memory of being up on the roof of a Cat, between the pylon and the arc of the propeller, and reaching out with a pole to try to secure a mooring buoy in a winter gale off Arbroath, with the pilot having to keep the power up to prevent wind and tide pushing them onto rocks.

Health and Safety requirements have changed a bit since then!

Track Jitter
21st Aug 2013, 10:28
For info - IWMDuxford-based Catalina takes on a round-Britain challenge

IWMDuxford-based Catalina takes on a round-Britain challenge: key.Aero, key.Aero (http://www.key.aero/view_article.asp?ID=6592&thisSection=airsho)

sycamore
21st Aug 2013, 10:30
Round Britain Tour to celebrate Harry Hawkers trip..

joy ride
21st Aug 2013, 10:47
Great, thanks gents, I could hardly believe my eyes!
In Summer months the de H Rapides from Duxford regularly fly over, and about 20 years ago a Junkers 33 occasionally flew over.