PDA

View Full Version : Parking alternatives at LCY

Leftofcentre2009
19th Aug 2013, 23:31
Looking at booking some BA flights from LCY next summer. Early morning departure rules out public transport for us so am wondering if anybody has any info they can share regarding parking near the airport.

The on-airport carpark has quoted £200 for 10 days.
I cannot find anything online with off-airport parking. Not even hotels nearby. Travelodge and Premier Inn all explicitly say vehicles cannot be left longer than xx days.

Any info appreciated.

marlowe
20th Aug 2013, 06:19
Lcy is an airport that is really a business airport, and so the car parking is really geared towards short stay at a high price ! There really is no alternative parking around the airport simple as that . i do remember seeing a BCP parking sign so maybe if you contacted them you might get better parking rates than the airport ones?

elgnin
20th Aug 2013, 06:56
LoC. Without knowing where you would be travelling from it is hard to offer exact advice but I would be surprised if the flights from LCY that you are looking at are so early that they depart before public transport gets going. The easiest way to get there is on the DLR which starts running at 05.30 (depending on the station) DLR timetables | Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/4523.aspx) as this link shows.

Buses are an option too, this from the LCY website London City Airport :: Public Transport (http://www.londoncityairport.com/visitingtheairport/page/publictransport)

London has many faults but getting around 24 hours a day is not one of them - in fact there is a strong case for doing so at night as the traffic is lighter and buses don't stop at every stop because most people are in bed so the service is quicker! Yes the number of night bus services is far less than those available in the day but all the main arterial routes are served.

Another alternative is to find a hotel nearby and get there the night before. There are many places within walking distance or a £5 cab ride - one I used recently cost just £71 a night which is far cheaper than the car - parking charges you cite. Some hotels will let you leave the car with them too so have a rummage around and see what you can come with.

ExXB
20th Aug 2013, 08:21
From Banbury it may be more of a challenge to get to LCY for an early morning departure. We made the first LX flight to Geneva (0650 I recall) easily from around Euston Station. (Northern Line to Jubilee to DLR).

But I wouldn't want to do it with large cases. Perhaps a taxi?

Phileas Fogg
20th Aug 2013, 10:25
How about two one-way hire cars, will be cheaper than a £200 car park.

jjfluk
20th Aug 2013, 12:04
Parkatmyhouse has nearby parking starting at £7/day. Used the system for LHR and LGW and its brilliant

marlowe
20th Aug 2013, 14:38
jjfluk if you knew the area around LCY you wouldnt be suggesting that ! I am sure the person would like to come back off holiday and actually find his car where he left it! or at least some of it !!

jjfluk
20th Aug 2013, 15:16
Are all 99 reviewers wrong?
https://www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk/driveways/london/s/beacons-close-london-e6/
That's just one site picked at random

marlowe
20th Aug 2013, 16:22
jjfuk do you know the area that LCY is located in ? because i do unless you park at the airport there is NO off site parking period. so yea all 99 reviews are wrong !!! go park your car in the area for 10 days and see how much of it will be left when you get back . LCY is set up as a business passenger airport. BA has recently started doing more spanish holiday destination places out of there BUT the airport management have not made any concessions on parking prices for this type of passenger, its main type of passenger is the business guy parking his audi over night and coming back the next day hence high car parking prices. the two parking areas at LCY are small compared to most airports. the DLR and taxis carry the majority of passengers to the airport. unless more holiday destinations are served out of LCY (doubtful) then the management have no need to expand parking because they can charge high parking prices for the limited parking . on any given day there is at least one Lambo or ferrari or some other exotic motor parked in it, pound signs to LCY management!

Leftofcentre2009
20th Aug 2013, 21:34
Parkatmyhouse has nearby parking starting at £7/day. Used the system for LHR and LGW and its brilliant

Fantastic thanks! Have been in contact with a guy thats advertising on there and arranged to take a look at his secure gated carpark this weekend. (We're off on a short break from LCY). He wants £54 as opposed to £200 at the airport.

Marlowe - chill! Or are you a BCP/LCY employee??

marlowe
21st Aug 2013, 06:27
Good luck with that do make sure its secure parking as really would not want to park a car in the Beckton area if it wasn't !!!!

Leftofcentre2009
21st Aug 2013, 21:54
Will do thanks. This one is actually in a gated community with cctv. Its located actually on the LCY "island" (Dont know what you would normally call the area).

GrahamO
22nd Aug 2013, 13:23
Given the location you are travelling to, the parking cost and the hassle, wouldn't it be cheaper to fly from a more local airport ?

Leftofcentre2009
22nd Aug 2013, 16:19
No not really. I don't do loco riff raff apart from Vueling (as an exception).
Monarch, Thomas Cook and Jet2 were all in the £1200 region for 4 adults.

BA from LCY has cost £710.

Carpark £54. 2hr journey from Banbury to LCY.

60mins to LHR, 30mins to BHX, 60mins to EMA, 120mins (atleast) to MAN.

Very pleased :ok::ok:

davidjpowell
25th Aug 2013, 20:01
long time ago, but we stayed at Travelodge, and left the car there for the week. I believe I booked through their own website and paid not a lot.

Worth a phone call....

Leftofcentre2009
30th Aug 2013, 13:12
Well we visited the parking place found on parkatmyhouse.com near LCY at the weekend. Its gated in a well established and fairly high class apartment block.

Perfect and am well impressed.

54 notes for 11 days. Many many thanks to the person that suggested it.

£146 saved :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok: