PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question - Upgrade

TristanPerth
19th Aug 2013, 07:00
Hi,
What is the policy about getting (being offered) an upgrade? Does anyone know?
My wife is flying off on Qatar at very short notice for her mother's funerals and is a total emotional mess. I am sure that she would appreciate a little special attention while on this lonnnnngggggg flight.
Any advice? Worth trying at the check in counter? Worth contacting customer service?
Any help appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

NZScion
19th Aug 2013, 12:16
Ahh, the age old question, how do I get an easy upgrade?

Easy answer = pay for it....

:rolleyes:

Andy_S
19th Aug 2013, 12:37
What is the policy about getting (being offered) an upgrade? Does anyone know? My wife is flying off on Qatar at very short notice for her mother's funerals and is a total emotional mess.

TristanPerth,

Please don't take this the wrong way at what I'm sure is a difficult time, but your post reads as if you are trying to use your wifes personal circumstances to blag a complimentary upgrade for her.

If getting an upgrade is that important to you, then there's only one way to be certain of getting one.

Pay for it......

Most airlines are protective of their premium cabins. People who have actually paid the asking price to fly F or C class are generally unimpressed if their cabin is populated by economy passengers who have been upgraded on the whim of the airline. Especially if such passengers are, as you put it, an emotional mess. So 'goodwill' upgrades are quite unusual.

Complimentary upgrades only tend to be given when the economy cabin is overbooked, and even then priority is given to a) passengers in the frequent flyer scheme, and b) passengers on the most expensive economy tickets.

You could certainly try your luck at check in or contact the airline in advance and explain your wife's circumstances, but in all honesty you will most likely be disappointed. I'm pretty sure, though, that if the cabin crew were made aware of the reasons for your wifes journey, they would do everything possible to look after her.

wiggy
19th Aug 2013, 13:08
I'd second what Andy just wrote.

Asking directly for a free upgrade will probably ensure that it won't happen. Personally I'd try to have a discrete discussion with the check-in agent or similar and ask if there's any chance at all that the Cabin Crew can be informed of your wife's situation.

Good Luck.

Basil
19th Aug 2013, 13:29
Be polite and friendly at check-in.
Mention reason for flight.
Don't ask directly.

Check-in staff and cabin crew get lots of sob stories, many of which, I would guess, are made up.

cavortingcheetah
19th Aug 2013, 13:57
You want a what?
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/incoming/article359588.ece/ALTERNATES/g3l/CM1273932@Qatar+Airways+CEO.jpg

PAXboy
19th Aug 2013, 15:01
Unfortunately, on the past, so many used a non-existant funeral as a plea that carriers stopped listening.

cavortingcheetah
19th Aug 2013, 15:13
One finds that telling them one is hurrying along to one's own produces equally negative results.

Heathrow Harry
21st Aug 2013, 15:37
Seems to be a random process - two friends of ours got an upgrade from Premium Economy to Business on BA trans-atlantic last month - they didn't ask, they don't have FF cards but they do look presentable

They suspect that BA had overbooked Premium Economy and they looked better than the those who got their seats

edi_local
21st Aug 2013, 18:49
They could have paid the highest fares on the plane for the seats they got bumped out of, so would be the obvious choices if the alternatives are unsuitable for or unwilling to upgrade.

Also, a Gold card holder or other high status member who would normally get priority when looking for upgrades may have been traveling with kids who they could not be separated from. Usually children don't get free upgrades (in my experience anyway) as the premium cabins are better suited to adults (of course children can be booked into those cabins on almost all airlines).

fenland787
21st Aug 2013, 19:46
Don't ask directly.Basil is right, when I lived abroad I found that sort of approach worked well. When my family members came to visit they would chat about visiting dad at check-in. My wife and my sons all got upgrades more than once from Air Canada LHR-YVR. I did get them AC Aeroplan cards though.

MathFox
24th Aug 2013, 11:54
Don't ask directly.
Dress decently.and look clean. (Bottom down shirt, full length trousers, normal shoes.)

And I do think that getting a free upgrade is worth a thank you to the agent.

Last time I got an upgrade I was with a (gold) member and we were watching the priority check in agent deal (wrestle) with a family, six bags and a cardboard box. It took so much time that we were asked to take seats for the show. We were chatting together and trying to show some empathy for the agent. Finally we were awarded with business class boarding passes for the 45 minute flight.

barry lloyd
24th Aug 2013, 17:32
So on this basis, if I go into Tesco's tomorrow (other supermarkets are available :)) wearing a smart suit and tell them I want to walk out with their latest HD 3D LED TV because mine burst into flames in the middle of X-Factor, but I've only got enough money for a 18" wall bracket model, is there a chance I'll get one - and if not, why not?

What you're wearing makes little or no difference. If they need to upgrade people and there are no frequent flyers travelling (unlikely), they'll upgrade you if you're wearing sackcloth and ashes. The idea that you need to be smartly dressed comes from the rule book of the American carriers for their own staff and has somehow found its way into aviation mythology.

wiggy
24th Aug 2013, 18:29
If they need to upgrade people and there are no frequent flyers travelling (unlikely), they'll upgrade you if you're wearing sackcloth and ashes.

:confused: Must depend on the airline. I know of at least one in Europe where you can get yourself officially tagged as "Not Suitable For Upgrade" (NSFU) if you try hard enough :ooh:.........

wowzz
24th Aug 2013, 21:58
In these days of self-check-in there is very little 'personal' contact with ground staff, so what you wear has very little bearing on an upgrade.
I have been fortunate to be upgraded by BA on a few occasions, and have always been sure to convey my thanks to the cc at the time, and to make sure that I was not too demanding on the champagne!
Mrs Wowzz and I were fortunate enough to get upgraded to Club from Dubai to LHR, even though I was using my frequent flyer points. Mrs Wowzz was of the opinion that on receipt of the upgrade I was a bit of an a**e licker, but for the extra space/drinks I am more than happy to be overly effusive.
My mantra is that if I pay for an economy seat, that is all I should expect. If through the luck of the draw/computer allocation I get an upgrade, I will be eternally happy, but I will not expect the same result in the future.
Without being harsh, if you want to fly in 'premium' 'club' 'first' pay the additional cost and you will not be disappointed!

Mark in CA
26th Aug 2013, 13:48
IF you are taking advantage of the "bereavement fare" airlines offer for such circumstances -- a reduced rate for a last-minute booking -- won't the agent checking you in know this from the coding?

Also, I would think it hard to make up a story to get this fare, as you must present a copy of the death certificate within a certain period of time after the flights, or else they charge you for the full fare.

Asking directly for an upgrade almost never works. In the old days, before frequent flier programs, the best way to ask for an upgrade was to inquire whether the flight was full. Also, "regulars" at the airline's private lounge were usually handed upgrades if any were available.

If you want your wife to have "special attention" on this flight, either go with her, or splurge for business class seats.

Capot
26th Aug 2013, 14:07
AAAAH, the myth of "the upgrade" that every airline is waiting to give to a cheapskate who only paid for an economy ticket but really wants to travel in comfort with those who paid for it.

I spent too many hours of my earlier life trying to explain that my employer ran a business, in which we sold a range of products at a range of prices, and that no, we are not desperate to give you a product you didn't pay for (thereby p*****g off those who did) because you......

Are wearing your best suit
Travel with us a lot
Bat your eyelashes seductively
Think that you are entitled to it
Know someone who always gets "upgraded"
Need to have space to work
Etc etc, all the blarney.......

I have no sympathy with the OP; what kind of person, when his wife is is a total emotional mess who would appreciate a little special attention, only thinks of begging for a freebie to get her what she needs.

Any advice?Yes, get your wallet out and make sure she is well looked after.

Planemike
26th Aug 2013, 19:49
Capot.............

Sounds as though you have a well stuffed wallet (fortunate you!!), not every one may be so lucky. Unlike you I do have sympathy with the OP and more particularly with his wife who has just lost her mother.

Planemike