PDA

View Full Version : Me-109 Crash RKE (Roskilde, Denmark)

SMT Member
18th Aug 2013, 15:38
Just read in the news the EADS Traditionsflug Me-109 has landed off airport during an Airshow at Roskilde Airport this afternoon. The aircraft apparently suffered from engine malfunction of some sorts, and the pilot decided to put her down in a field.

Initial reports say the pilot is fine, no word on the condition of the aircraft.

Provided the pilot is ok, it is sad to hear that one of the few flying Me-109s has been damaged. One does trust, however, that EADS has deep enough pockets, and enough sense of tradition, to write out a cheque that will see her grace the skies again.

Link, including a video clip that's just begging for a caption competion! Tysk jagerfly nødlandet under airshow ved Roskilde - Krimi | www.bt.dk (http://www.bt.dk/krimi/tysk-jagerfly-noedlandet-under-airshow-ved-roskilde)

NutLoose
18th Aug 2013, 15:52
Glad he is ok, not the first time for it either.

Onceapilot
18th Aug 2013, 19:11
Correct action from the flight manual if you are unable to make a guaranteed landing on a suitable field. Interesting that this seems so close to an airstrip. Hope damage is minimal but, it will still be a stopper for the season I guess.

OAP

BEagle
18th Aug 2013, 19:25
Sorry to hear that 'Rote Sieben' has had another accident. Good to know that the pilot is OK and let's hope that the aircraft will be repairable.

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2013, 19:32
Translation:-
A fighter from the 2nd World War II landed in a field on Sunday during the big air show at Roskilde Airport. The pilot was not hurt, according to Mid and West Zealand Police.

- He had engine problems and chose to land in a field. So when he could not land right, then it's all actually gone as it should. He's not hurt, and it does indeed not appear that the plane has suffered great damage, even if it landed on the 'belly' with the landing gear up says Claus Hald Simonsen, head of security for Mid and West Zealand Police, for BNB.

Police received notification that there was a small plane crashed in a field near the airport in Roskilde at 15:25 Sunday.

A Messerschmitt ME 109 vintage from World War II, participating at an airshow at Roskilde Airshow had engine problems, so the pilot decided to make an emergency landing on nearby field. The crash landing was carried out by the pilot who pulled the landing gear up and made a belly landing.

The pilot, a German citizen born in 1962, is unharmed and was alone in the aircraft during the crash landing.

Wander00
18th Aug 2013, 21:37
Sending my in-country rep (No2 son lives just down the road) to have a look tomorrow

GeeRam
18th Aug 2013, 22:16
Rear fuselage seems ripple free so hopefully appears to be a text book wheels up in what was very little time...... you can hear the DB cough and quit in this clip and the short time he had to get it down :ok:

Messerschmitt 109 crash - Roskilde Airshow 2013 - YouTube

500N
18th Aug 2013, 22:21
After the initial cough and splutter, it seemed like the engine
picked up again as he went past at 30 seconds onwards or
was it barely running ?

Either way, as you say, he didn't have much time to find somewhere
and get it down.

GeeRam
18th Aug 2013, 22:41
After the initial cough and splutter, it seemed like the engine
picked up again as he went past at 30 seconds onwards or
was it barely running ?

Well, yes, I'm not quite sure if it is or isn't. There does appear to be the distinctive DB supercharger whine apparent after the cough, splutter and silence, but no other engine sound....:confused:

All 3 of the EADS 109's are now u/s.

Onceapilot
19th Aug 2013, 08:47
Several possible reasons but, not speculating. Overall, a good forced landing, well done:D.

OAP

Wander00
19th Aug 2013, 13:37
great pilot unharmed and aircraft looks repairable - surprised engine still rotating on touchdown though. Just had the airshow newsletter, which quotes paying spectator numbers on each day - how can they have such small numbers and stay financially viable. Having been there in 2009, and took grandson to meet the Red arrows, hope to be there again in 2015. It is a lovely experience.

Saturday there were about 5000 spectators and on Sunday approx. 7000, which means that we are financially able to make an airshow in 2015. Exactly when it will be in 2015, we will know at the beginning of 2014.

NutLoose
19th Aug 2013, 14:45
Recovery film

Crashed Messerschmitt aircraft is removed - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kDPPmyfIwc0)

Fareastdriver
19th Aug 2013, 19:05
You can see why the Spanish put Merlins in.

NutLoose
19th Aug 2013, 19:40
So did the Germans originally, well a Kestrel at least :p

GeeRam
19th Aug 2013, 20:32
You can see why the Spanish put Merlins in.

Not really .......

Given, that the Spanish fitted the Merlin to replace their own Hispano-Suiza V12 engine which they originally fitted to the first semi-built Me109's that were delivered from Germany without any DB engines, or props or armament or most of the other stuff that was originally agreed they would supply.

GrillBiller
19th Aug 2013, 22:32
i leve in the neighbortown and had just got home after living the airshow about 20 min before the crash.
using google street view I can tell where the crashvideo was recorded:
http://tinyurl.com/k96cv3n