PDA

View Full Version : Stress ECG

welkyboy
3rd May 2002, 22:51
Having held a class one for 40 years I now have been summoned to Belgrano house for a stress ECG before my next medical. Any one out there had one and what is involved??

777AV8R
4th May 2002, 08:04
Having taken a stress ECG just over a year ago for an entry medical, I might be able to shed some light on it for you.

Basically, a stress ECG is a tracing taken while you are doing exercise. The exercise is done while walking at a brisk pace on an inclined treadmill. The same ECG leads are used as a resting ECG, but the harness is strapped to your waist to keep the mass of wires from flying all over the place while you walk.

The pace begins slowly at first and the incline is rather shallow. A baseline ECG, Heart Rate and BP reading is taken during this time. AFter a few minutes, the speed and incline are increased. Careful measurement are made of you during this whole exam so that in case you start feeling dizzy or ill, the test can be terminated.

I didn't find anything scary about it and I guess it's because I do a lot of running to keep in shape. Just think of it as a brisk stroll on a hillside. The exam is not all that long, at least, mine wasn't,...probably only about 10 to 15 minutes.

Hope that might serve to calm you and allay some myths.

Lou Scannon
10th May 2002, 16:04
This is probably a routine check because your last ECG that you did has revealed some change from the others that you did over the years. They will start off with a static ECG and only then will they clear you for an exercise one.

You could try doing a brisk 15 minute walk everyday (up an incline) to train yourself up for the treadmill (Any indications of chest pain etc and stop immediately of course.)

Lay off red wine, coffee and other such stimulants for a few days beforehand.

If the exercise does reveal any further glitches, all is not lost. It could be a temporary problem or it could be one of those annoying but non-threatening irregular runs of heartbeat from time to time. They may recommend further investigation, drug therapy or tell you that there is no problem and to stop wasting their time.

The best of luck and let us know how it went.