PDA

View Full Version : RAF Lossiemouth future assured

OutlawPete
18th Aug 2013, 11:25
We all knew it was to happen but nice to see it in print!

http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/News/RAF-Lossie-future-secure-with-Typhoon-14082013.htm

OvertHawk
18th Aug 2013, 12:43
Well, it's secure until September 2014 at least!

OH

Sandy Parts
19th Aug 2013, 12:11
A bot of 'joining the dots' by the local authorities/representatives. I believe the Staish said "Typhoon will be in service for the next 20 year" or very close to that. Others took this to be " Lossie is safe for the next 20 years". Not the same thing at all.....:ugh:

TorqueOfTheDevil
19th Aug 2013, 15:52
"Typhoon will be in service for the next 20 year" or very close to that. Others took this to be " Lossie is safe for the next 20 years". Not the same thing at all.....:ugh:

Very true, but Lossie almost certainly is safe for a number of years because (a) there's no point moving the Typhoons after sorting out the infrastructure for them at Lossie (they won't all fit at Coningsby) and (b) with the demise of Leuchars and Kinloss, the RAF may be reluctant to have no footprint (stand fast the radar stations etc) north of Leeming. Plus weather factor on the Moray coast, LFA 14(T), ranges etc.

Postman Plod
19th Aug 2013, 16:22
So in terms of Typhoon squadrons, what's moving to Lossie? and how much work is Northern Q getting these days?

As I was perusing the shelves in WH Smiths, I noticed there was an interesting article / editorial / leader in AFM this month about Tornado squadrons. To summarise, it said, whilst it was announced that 617 was disbanding and would be the first to equip with F35 (maybe...), not much has been said about 12 Squadron disbanding, and if 12 goes, what need would there be for XV. It would also take the RAF down to 7 front line squadrons.

I have to say, that depressed me somewhat.