PDA

View Full Version : Posting on i pad

superq7
17th Aug 2013, 15:18
When using my i pad to reply on PPruNe I don't know how to use the Fonts/Sizes/Smilies feature, any ideas? Ps I'm quite new to computers,
Thanks.

Nervous SLF
18th Aug 2013, 04:44
I would also like to ask a question about iPads ( please don't laugh too much :( ) but as SWMBO has decided she needs an iPad she
has asked me what the difference is between an iPad 2 Wi-Fi- 16GB and a iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G 16GB ? I have an rough idea but I
won't say as I am probably wrong. It's better to be only thought of being a bit dense - no need for me to prove it. :O

FullOppositeRudder
18th Aug 2013, 05:16
Very briefly:.....

iPad 2 Wi-Fi- 16GB

This one needs to be able to access a Wi-Fi network to be connected to and use the internet. Your home internet modem / router can provide this if it has Wi-Fi as part of it's equipment. Otherwise you can use it with public WiFi hotspots where they are provided.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G 16GB

In addition to the above, this one offers the option of operating away from a fixed WiFi network using the 3G mobile phone network. To do this, it needs a 3G mobile phone card with a data "package". Coverage in this mode is limited to that offered by the cell locations of you chosen mobile phone company. NZ Telecom would seem to offer the best coverage. This model iPad's cost is greater for that reason. You also need to budget for the costs of your 3G mobile data package. It is the much more convenient option if you travel around a bit.

If either of you have a mobile phone which can be set to operate as a mobile "hot spot" this may enable you to use option one above with your phone as the internet provider / bridge, however data charges will apply to you normal mobile phone account, and you have to configure two devices when ever you want to operate away from home in this manner.

Not as brief as I had hoped, but that's how it works for me on this side of the ditch.

FOR

PS Edited to add that you need to be sure that in option two, your iPad mobile phone configuration works with the mobile phone network of your preference. Since you have mentioned 3G, I think NZT would be compatible, but confirm this with the sales people before handing over money.

ExSp33db1rd
18th Aug 2013, 07:29
NZ Telecom would seem to offer the best coverage.

All nicely put, but I question NZ Telecom coverage, I've switched from Telecom to Vodaphone ( actually 2 degrees, cheaper and uses Vodaphone towers ) as the Voda. coverage in my Bay of Islands area is better for my location, depends on where you think you might be needing it.

And ...... NZ isn't too well off for free WiFi HotSpots, so to be really well connected when you need it, you need the model that uses the cellphone technology as well.

FullOppositeRudder
18th Aug 2013, 07:55
Thanks ExSp33db1rd; your local input is more valuable than you may have first imagined - we'll be over there for a couple of weeks in mid September, and my observations were based on what I read on the web regarding coverage for my own time there.

I'll certainly note what you have observed as a local, although we will be working southeast of Auckland initially and then migrating down to the other island. T'would be nice to see the Bay of Islands again but sadly time doesn't permit on this sortie.

FOR

Nervous SLF
18th Aug 2013, 09:06
Thank you very much for your replies I will now tell SWMBO, thanks again.

mixture
18th Aug 2013, 09:53
FullOppositeRudder,

Just to add a little bit of detail.

You can buy an WiFi+3G but use it without a SIM card in-situ. Works great on the iPad mini I bought the other day which I'm just using as WiFi and leaving the 3G there if I need it but with no SIM card.

FullOppositeRudder
18th Aug 2013, 11:01
Good point - I guess I had assumed that to be apparent, but thanks for highlighting it. :ok:

superq7
18th Aug 2013, 13:24
Back to my question any ideas? Thanks superq.

Lord Spandex Masher
18th Aug 2013, 13:34
For smilies just press. :bored:

If you want to italicise, for instance, either press I and then write within the set of brackets. Or write your sentence then press and hold on any word until you get the magnifier doodah, let go and you get an option to select all, do that then press I. Or alternatively double tap a word then you can drag the blue bars to highlight what you want to emphasise then press I.

superq7
18th Aug 2013, 14:15
Many thanks Lord Spandex am trying ( very) but no luck yet.

Lord Spandex Masher
18th Aug 2013, 14:26
Might be something to do with your settings. Try User CP then Options.

superq7
18th Aug 2013, 17:42
Thanks so much LORD SPANDEX you are a STAR from super :ok::ok::)

superq7
12th Jun 2014, 21:59
I'm having trouble putting an Avatar picture on a forum ( not PPRuNE ) using my I Pad, any ideas please?

Thanks Stuart.