PDA

View Full Version : Loader jumps off cargo hold of a SpiceJet plane about to takeoff at Goa

India Charlie
17th Aug 2013, 07:02
via The Times of India

Man jumps off cargo hold of plane about to take off

Saurabh Sinha, TNN | Aug 17, 2013, 06.31 AM IST

NEW DELHI: In a glaring security lapse, a man hid inside the cargo hold of a passenger aircraft at Goa airport — a sensitive defence airfield — and jumped off shortly before the plane was to take off. Alert Indian Air Force air traffic controllers saw the man jump off and asked the pilot to abort take-off, averting a potential disaster of the aircraft flying with an open cargo hold door.

The bizarre incident happened as a SpiceJet aircraft was getting ready to take off for Bangalore. "When the aircraft — a Boeing 737 — reached the active runway to take off, ATC officials saw someone jump from the cargo hold. They immediately alerted the security forces who apprehended the man and are now interrogating him," said a senior official of the directorate general of civil aviation ( DGCA) which is now probing the incident.

The ATC recalled the aircraft to the terminal. "If a plane takes off with an open cargo hold door, the consequences can be serious. If the front door is open, it will fly off and damage the wing and engine. If it is the rear door, it will hit the fuselage. The structural integrity of the aircraft will be impacted either way. Also the rear cargo section is pressurised for carrying livestock like pets and an open door can lead to pressurisation failure," said a senior pilot.

This lapse happened despite the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security alerting all airports and airlines on August 2 to maintain extra vigil as "intelligence inputs indicated a heightened threat perception to the civil aviation sector". It had asked agencies to enforce strict ladder point checks and have more surveillance around terminals and operational areas around the Independence Day. BCAS has specifically sought "enhanced security at cargo terminal" and frisking of catering items loaded on aircraft.

Despite being a defence airfield, Goa airport has been a security nightmare for agencies due to movement of scores of people in the technical area. In fact like a railway crossing, barriers are lowered to prevent defence vehicles from crossing the airstrip when an aircraft is landing or taking off.

"There have been instances in past when people hid in the aircraft wheel cavity but this is possibly the first time when someone hid inside the cargo hold. It needs to be probed whether the person was authorised to be at there or was an intruder. Either way it reveals a serious security lapse," sources said.

"What is worrying is that someone could manage to hide inside an aircraft and go unnoticed. There have been intrusions on the runway, both human and by animals, and at terminal buildings. But an intruder inside a moving aircraft is a cause for concern," sources said.

Addendum.
Note: The thread heading says "Loader" because Zee News reports a slightly different version:

Panaji: An Ahmedabad-bound SpiceJet flight aborted take-off at the last moment after a loader jumped off from the luggage section of the plane while it was taxiing on the runway at Dabolim airport here, police said.

Police officials said the incident happened at 4.45 pm.

"When the flight was on the runway, a loader was seen jumping from the baggage section of the plane. The pilot was immediately alerted about aborting the take-off," police officials said quoting eye-witness.

Airport authorities were yet to file a complaint against the loader who was not yet identified.

"The flight was allowed to take off after a thorough security check as the behaviour of the loader was found to be suspicious," police said.

PTI

lomapaseo
17th Aug 2013, 14:38
Hmm

I seem to recall several cargo doors opening up on takeoff and not doing any damage to the aircraft.

Of course at altitude with the hold pressurized, what is ejected out is a concern.

India Charlie
17th Aug 2013, 17:04
1. Did the guy jump off from an already open hold?

2. Did he open the hold hatch and jump out?

If 2. happened the pilots would have got an amber warning on the MCP which they would have if 1. had happened as well, but then they wouldn't have fired up the motors.

As would be natural, the controller conveyed to the crew that a man was seen jumping out, but the crew would have known about the open hatch and would have returned to the gate (SOP).

This raises other questions:

3. Did the crew get a open cargo hatch warning in the cockpit? :ooh:

4. If they did, were they contemplating investigating the matter and returning to the gate? Although by then ATC had already broken the enigma. :uhoh:

As is the case in most aviation related reporting in India, the news reports are severely deficient in useful details :ugh:

MarkerInbound
17th Aug 2013, 18:03
I guess the 737 must be different, on the DC-9 and 727 I don't remember a way to open the door from the inside.

SOPS
17th Aug 2013, 18:52
I don't think you can open a 737 cargo door from the inside, and last time I checked, the cargo doors on a 737 open inwards..i.e. they are plug type doors, and once te aircraft is pressurised, they probably won't open anyway.

captjns
17th Aug 2013, 22:08
They do open inward. Can't open the door from the inside without tools. News article a bit askew. Not unusual for Indian media often compared to Pravda.

blue up
17th Aug 2013, 22:31
Not pressurised whilst on the ground, or is it???

parabellum
17th Aug 2013, 22:52
Poor bloke was probably a loader who was having a kip, awaiting last bags and his mates forgot him as there were no last bags. Someone should have checked the door and reported to the captain "All doors and hatches closed" as part of a normal pre start procedure. As others have already said, there should have been a door warning light. Things here just don't add up.

nitpicker330
18th Aug 2013, 00:18
What a load of bollocks.

1/ can't open the door from the inside

2/ cockpit crew would see a door open amber light right in front of their eyes.

3/ ATC don't direct the Aircraft to return in regards to operational matters onboard, only the Captain decides what he wants to do.

Another quality media report.......

Perspective
18th Aug 2013, 03:51
Actually, on a 737, you can open the cargo
Door from inside.

GregP
18th Aug 2013, 04:18
I'd be surprised if the cargo doors on B737 can't be opened from inside .. they certainly do on B707 and B747. If not, how do engineers inspect for door operation from inside the hold??!!??

As suggested, the possibility of a 'loader siesta' shouldn't be discounted. I recall, as an apprentice engineer with a certain international airline, having a siesta inside the wing of a B707 during block maintenance. When my leading hand asked a fellow apprentice where i was at lunchtime, my mate(!) then went back into the hangar and papered over the access panel on the underside of the wing: when i was awakened by the horn signalling the end of lunch break, i was terrified at the prospect that I'd been permanently 'paneled up' inside the wing and was about to be drowned in fuel!

Message: don't sleep on the job .. especially in the aircraft industry!!
:=

India Charlie
18th Aug 2013, 06:30
3/ ATC don't direct the Aircraft to return in regards to operational matters onboard, only the Captain decides what he wants to do.

Agree. The Captain wouldn't jeopardise the safety of the a/c and pax by continuing the flight with an open cargo door, would he? Did the crew abort takeoff/decided not to continue the flight only after ATC alerted them? If the cargo door on a 737-800 can be opened from the inside as some have confirmed, the crew must have got a warning? The point I was trying to make is, if they did get a warning, they wouldn't have continued anyway. Two things, they must have got a door open warning and were also alerted by ATC... the two things must have happened almost simultaneously.

So,

"If a plane takes off with an open cargo hold door, the consequences can be serious. If the front door is open, it will fly off and damage the wing and engine. If it is the rear door, it will hit the fuselage. The structural integrity of the aircraft will be impacted either way. Also the rear cargo section is pressurised for carrying livestock like pets and an open door can lead to pressurisation failure," said a senior pilot.

is not going to happen unless both crew are nutcases.

Then if the a/c was pressurised, how did the guy manage to open the door? Does this mean the a/c was not pressurised while it was taxiing out? :eek:

As suggested, the possibility of a 'loader siesta' shouldn't be discounted.

What? When a turn around is in full swing? Unless he had passed out after smoking grass. :}

Where are the desiboyz? I'd like to hear their take on this.

captjns
18th Aug 2013, 11:29
blue up asks... not pressurised whilst on the ground, or is it???

NG starts to pressurize at about 80 knots during takeoff roll.

SLFguy
18th Aug 2013, 13:01
1/ can't open the door from the inside

would appear to be..

What a load of bollocks.

Given..

Door from inside.

This place gets better and better..

parabellum
19th Aug 2013, 00:09
What? When a turn around is in full swing? Unless he had passed out after smoking grass.

As you possibly know, on the sub-continent, (and other places), lowly paid employees do no more than they have to and if baggage loading had been completed or paused but not finalised then those involved will take any and every opportunity to relax, they do not go running around the tarmac asking their mates if the need a hand!

India Charlie
19th Aug 2013, 07:11
parabellum, I disagree with you.

As far as I know, Goa generally has quick turn arounds. Loaders can find several alternative places to relax than cargo holds of planes which are about to depart. Your statement about low paid labourers not doing more than they have to is an unfair generalisation. Labourers in South Asia, particularly, are extremely hard working and sometimes do more than their fair share of work.

Aeronotix
19th Aug 2013, 07:38
This siesta must have turned into a nightmare by now, for the poor loader.
Poor guy must have been grilled, and maybe in the process of losing his job :ouch:

Basset hound
19th Aug 2013, 16:49
If they had commenced the take-off roll, they would not have been able to pressurize the cabin with a cargo door open. It's just too big of a hole in the pressure vessel.

Agaricus bisporus
19th Aug 2013, 17:03
My 737 NG manual says the doors can be opened manually from inside and outside.

So, bets on the hard working chappie who'd taken a nap in the cool cargo hold as loaders do from Luton to Lusaka was forgotten, woke up and legged it in the nick of time.

No reason to see why this isn't perfectly reasonable as reported.

parabellum
19th Aug 2013, 22:33
You can disagree all you like India Charlie, I operated in and out of India for over twenty five years and am happy with what I experienced there on both pax and freighters.

Labourers in South Asia, particularly, are extremely hard working and sometimes do more than their fair share of work.

Now there is a generalisation, big time!

SloppyJoe
20th Aug 2013, 07:58

Actually I think in most places but especially in India if a guy is seen jumping out of the plane they will most likely order you to return, it would not be a request and you would be very silly to argue.

Basil
20th Aug 2013, 08:21
IC, Goa generally has quick turn arounds
So long as a small dash of some sort to show respect goes to the right people.
Boss had said no more 'gifts'. It began to look as if things were going s l o w l y. OK for boss to make rules from comfort of UK office so small gift re-instated and things operated normally - real politik :ok:
Not complaining, merely remarking.

Actually, IAF saved our bacon one day by manufacturing blank for defective hydraulic system to get us away. We arranged direct delivery of aircraft parts for their boss which he reckoned would be held up by Bombay customs.
Always hoped Harriers buzzing around saw us before we saw them ;)

India Charlie
20th Aug 2013, 09:59
Apologies to parabellum... too bad the comments were deleted :* ;) :cool:

Basil,
I'm not surprised. I was referring to 'VT' carriers.

Agaricus bisporus
20th Aug 2013, 10:28
The argument about ATC "ordering" the aircraft back is a somewhat empty one as they had an open cargo door and couldn't possibly do anything else. Even if the miscreant had been considerate enough to close it behind him (as if!) it would be a semi-suicidal Captain who didn't return for a thorough security search after an event like that.

SLFguy
21st Aug 2013, 11:55
Even if the miscreant had been considerate enough to close it behind him (as if!) it would be a semi-suicidal Captain who didn't return for a thorough security search after an event like that.

It was India, not Pakistan..

TurningFinals
23rd Aug 2013, 17:36
Door from inside.

I concur, you definitely can.

Given the design of the 737 hold door, would the door actually fall out of the aircraft if it was opened and not damaged? Bags might, but i don't know if the door would..

BOAC
24th Aug 2013, 07:33
No.........................

Agaricus bisporus
24th Aug 2013, 09:22
737 cargo doors open inwards. No way could it "fall off".

grounded27
25th Aug 2013, 17:12
I believe this was Arrow Air, they went around, closed the door and kept trucking. KMIA circa mid 90's.

i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/jwfotoboy/Air_pict03.jpg (http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii48/jwfotoboy/Air_pict03.jpg)

lomapaseo
25th Aug 2013, 18:28
737 cargo doors open inwards. No way could it "fall off".

do you have a picture of one that opens inward?

DaveReidUK
25th Aug 2013, 19:20
do you have a picture of one that opens inward?U.S AIRWAYS Boeing 737-400 Loading and Gate Departure - YouTube

Door gets closed at about 5:45.