PDA

View Full Version : Scared of flying and going on an ERJ145 HELP!

devon_guy
16th Aug 2013, 19:52
I'm travelling from BRS-MUC in September and it's on an ERJ145. I'm scared of flying at the best of times but the thought of being on such a tiny plane and going through turbulence terrifies me. Surely it will feel every gust of wind?

Can anyone reassure me please?

EMB-145LR
16th Aug 2013, 20:00
I'm a First Officer on the ERJ-145. Rest assured, despite the small cabin it's just the same as flying on a bigger jet. You may get a few little bumps on the climb out and on the approach, but it won't be dramatic and you'll probably feel just as you do on a 737 or A320. In fact, the ERJ is so good in crosswinds that at my company we have no crosswind limit, unlike a lot of larger aircraft, such as the A340, that only have 35kt limit.

The 145 is a great little aircraft, I love flying it. It's very capable, and the cabin service on bmi regional is great (or so I've heard). Just try to enjoy it. I'm sure you'll soon forget the size of the aircraft.

redsnail
16th Aug 2013, 20:02
It's fine. It's certified for it and will handle it well. It's not that small either.
Just imagine you're on a fast boat on a choppy lake. Same thing.

The crew will do their best to minimise the bumps but they can't avoid "some" movement. They won't fly into any thing it can't handle easily.

(Captain on a Hawker 800 which is smaller than an Embraer 145)

Dash8driver1312
16th Aug 2013, 20:18
First off, agree wholeheartedly with the above comments.

Second, notice is hereby given to all bizjet pilots (excepting BBJ and A319CJs), air taxi pilots, and GA drivers, you all now fly sub-micro-mini machines. Anything less than 29 metres in length and 20 metres span requires microscopes to assist in finding it.

devon_guy
16th Aug 2013, 20:24
Thank you for taking the time to reply everyone. I hope I'll be relaxed on the day!

Hotel Tango
16th Aug 2013, 21:21
Speaking as SLF, may I suggest that you try and sit nearer to the front. That way you will get less of the cigar tube effect, which some people don't like. I did quite a bit of 145 flying some years back and enjoyed them all.

Flyer70
17th Aug 2013, 18:14
I have done a number of flights in the ERJ145 , and think it is a great little aircraft. In fact I prefer it to a 737.

Heathrow Harry
18th Aug 2013, 08:21
fine for what is does but the shortage of internal luggage storage is a real pain

Hotel Tango
18th Aug 2013, 09:52
No worse than the 747 upper deck!

PAXboy
11th Sep 2013, 16:01
This link does not refer to ERJ145 but is about fear of flying, so I have reused this thread. I have not been on this service so cannot comment, just passing it on for those who might find it useful.

Conquer your fear of flying with our Fearless Flyer course | Fearless Flyer (http://www.fearlessflyer.easyjet.com/?utm_source=Fearless_e-shot&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=FearlessFlyerPanel&utm_campaign=2013-09-FF)

You can see on the right hand side of the page that they are running this from seven regional airports and offer a leaflet to download.