PDA

View Full Version : Sri Lankan, or Vietnam Airlines?

DutchOne
16th Aug 2013, 06:55
Hey,

Does anyone have some insight info about these airlines? Info like:
- how is de company for expats? Pay, possible fleet, or seat change?
- how are the locals towards expats?
- benefits?
- prospective?
- conclusion: DO or DONT
- ect.

Hope to hear from you.

kwaiyai
16th Aug 2013, 07:05
I dont work for either but I hear now at VNA to upgrade from Co-Pilot to Capt
you have to pay for the training etc.

babotika
16th Aug 2013, 09:34
ALK a few years ago: No fleet/seat change, watch locals move to long haul at 500h. Endless paperwork battle to even start flying. Very unstable roster, lots of night flights or short hops to India, decent routes are reserved for locals to get their 500h.

SOPs are a joke and more appropriate in an L1011, 50% of the local captains will try to kill you in some way or another with their poor flying or workload management, while telling you how they invented aviation, and if they don't get you Indian ATC will do it's best. Expect to fight for every gram of extra fuel you want to take even during monsoon. Don't forget to wear a tie every time you go to the collection of huts that is airline HQ.

Pay was ok but Sri Lanka is extremely boring unless beaches and elephants are enough to entertain you, not that you'll get enough time off to go anywhere nice anyway. Standard ID90/50 and ZED benefits. Locals are very friendly just no good at running an airline.

I heard things are improving slowly but unless you want to have a go for the challenge/experience I would stay clear.