PDA

View Full Version : Question about epaulet stripes/star

aviationgamer
14th Aug 2013, 17:26
One told me that a star on an epaulet (an epaulet is the piece on the shoulder of pilot cloths) refers to being a military pilot.
Other person told me that the star is possible at commercial passenger flights pilots too.
They, and I, are not in the aviation business. Can you tell me about stars yes-or-not on epaulets in case of commercial passenger flights??

(The question is important for me, because I publish a cardgame in which the players are crew members of a passenger airplane. There are epaulets on some of the cards to show the phase of the game (and the reliability of players) by the number of stripes. The epaulet with 3 stripes has a star added, to show that this phase is special in the game. But it should not refer to militairy flights.)

gorter
14th Aug 2013, 17:52
Epaulets are as varied as there are airlines and military units. Some are gold some silver. Some are thick some thin. Some airlines have a star. Some have a loop. The military again is as varied as there are air forces.

The only thing that usually happens is a first officer has 2 or 3 stripes. A captain has 4. Everything else is up to the person that sets the uniform policy of that airline.

Dash8driver1312
14th Aug 2013, 18:29
Then there's the old-fashioned way of telling military pilots by the full set of wings displayed on the left breast, while their stripes (of varying thickness and number) denote rank, not piloting ability.

Offchocks
14th Aug 2013, 19:48
I've not seen stars on epaulets except with my own airline, not to say it doesn't happen elsewhere. With us they are worn by management captains like fleet managers or the chief pilot.......... not me!