PDA

View Full Version : Help and advice to buy a Jet 1968 gulfstream

joe winn
14th Aug 2013, 10:22
Hello
i hope to buy my first jet for a incredible price of 250000usd but Needs 12/24/36/72 Month Inspections and 1C Engine Inspections.
I never had a plane before and i do not no what to do how to manage it and what will be my monthly cost ? Your experience and comment in this matter is most welcome with many thansk advance for reply.

deefer dog
14th Aug 2013, 11:41
The best advise you will ever be given is DO NOT buy that airplane!

EagleStar
14th Aug 2013, 12:32
If it floats, flies, or f4ck5, RENT IT!

No RYR for me
14th Aug 2013, 12:54
Hahahahahaha

sorry... but now seriously...

Hahahahaha

Really: I never had a plane before and i do not no what to do how to manage it and what will be my monthly cost ?

Well I can sell you a Jet for the incredible price of USD1,- Only thing is: it is non EASA compliant, Non noise compliant, has had no maintenance in donkeys years, it use more fuel than my wife drinks in champagne but apart form that it is great.

OK this must be a wind up but to help you out of your dream answer the following questions before you even think about what the cost of operation is:

Why does it cost so little?
What is the cost of making it flyable?
Can it be registered in a known country?
Are you allowed to use it noisewise in a western country known to mankind?

Only after that think about the cost of operating.... :D

what next
14th Aug 2013, 13:19
No inspections done since 72 months? These are six years! I would not want it even if they gave me the 250k$ with it... Your maintenance guys will ask more than that just for compiling the list of work items that need to be performed to get this thing back into the air.

Flying Mechanic
14th Aug 2013, 17:15
There's one on eBay for half the price.

DA50driver
15th Aug 2013, 03:24
This is a very hard question to answer. As a guide I just did a 48 month inspection on a 85 G3. It was quoted at 215k USD, by the time the plane was all done it cost just over 500k. Most of the additional cost was to repair some corrosion issues and replacing life limited components.

This particular G3 is probably the nicest G3 in the world, with an updated cockpit and hush kits to allow world wide operations as it meets stage 3 requirements.

My best advice is to find an older A and P that used to work on G3's to do survey of the actual condition for you.

My guess is that you will be into this plane for close to one million USD by the time you can legally fly it. I would look for a newer airplane if I were you. With a 68 model I guess the cockpit does not have the equipment required to be flown anywhere except Africa.

We operate two G3's and they are solid. reliable airplanes. For the money they are a good deal if they do not require too much money to get back up to speed. For a personal station wagon I can't think of anything better valued right now.

5711N0205W
15th Aug 2013, 11:30
Troll :ugh:

McDoo
15th Aug 2013, 12:59
DA50, it's a 1968 airframe he's asking about. I'm thinking G2 not G3.

End of life aircraft. If you want to buy it, the cheapest thing to do would be to immediately donate it to your local aviation museum. Make sure they pick up the cost of transporting it by road though...:E

LASJayhawk
15th Aug 2013, 16:33
A 1968 Gulfstream would be a G-II, with a serial number below 50.

A money pit.

I would run, not walk away from it. The price seems way to high, compared what you can get an AC G-III for.

Old Boeing Driver
10th Sep 2013, 22:56
Don't forget the possibility of mid-life, or overhauls on both the big motors and maybe the APU.

$1.5 million each for the Speys and $150K for the APU?????

Old Boeing Driver
11th Sep 2013, 00:20
While I also believe this is a trolling expedition, I thought I would post a little more info. I have seen some interesting events in corporate aviation.

Here is a 1968, G-II, which is serial number 20 and located in Chino, CA for $395K. I'm pretty sure they would let it go for far less.

1968 Gulfstream G-II 20 N88LN For Sale on ASO.com (http://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=148679&listingType=true&IsInternal=True&pagingNo=1&searchId=7081257&dealerid=)

I actually managed a G-III (DC) for a few years, but have forgotten the maintenance cycles. I think there are some engine corrosion inspections besides the mid life and overhaul stages.

There is a big landing gear inspection, but I think that is at 10K cycles....maybe hours.

We operated the G-III, mostly domestic USA, but with some Europe trips about 400 HPY. 6 years ago, that cost $1.2 million per year. 4 full time employees, and 200 nights per year on the road. No reserves set aside for any overhauls, or upgrades.

I would suspect a European operation like that would cost at least $2 million per year, probably more.

I cannot remember what the noise regs are for Europe, but I remember we were getting restricted in the G-III before we upgraded to the G-450.

Regards,

OBD.

Teldorserious
11th Sep 2013, 00:42
Excellent thread - Someone that has never had a plane getting advice from people who have probably never flown one.

Old Boeing Driver
11th Sep 2013, 00:46
Because I have actually flown all of the Gulfstream models except the 650 over many years and hours.

Regards,

OBD.

Note: Except the 100's, 200's, 300's and 400's

LASJayhawk
11th Sep 2013, 01:59
not a pilot, so have never flown one. But I have worked on G-I G-II G-III G-IV and G-V's

Worked a lot on a G-III S/N 357. Teldorserious do you know what makes that one special?

Old Boeing Driver
11th Sep 2013, 02:17
I sent you a PM about 357.

Regards,

OBD.

Brian Abraham
11th Sep 2013, 02:24
Excellent thread - Someone that has never had a plane getting advice from people who have probably never flown one. Which of your personalities boasted Gulfstream experience. I'm losing track.Teldorserious do you know what makes that one specialHe knows nothing if the subject is aviation.

FrankR
11th Sep 2013, 04:55
The passenger seats are several inches wider in SN357 (or they were a few years ago), that's one of the things what makes it special. (hope that helps).

FR

His dudeness
11th Sep 2013, 10:52
There is a troll on this thread.

Its not the thread-opener, is it ?

Tony Mabelis
11th Sep 2013, 11:59
I maintained S/N 356 for years:ok:
Tony

LASJayhawk
11th Sep 2013, 19:09
Old Boeing driver knows his Gulfstreams.

It was the prototype for the AC G-III's.

Almost nothing is the same as the production ones, so a lot of the wiring diagrams are in the book as 357 only. It also has a special inspection on the rivets do to being improperly stripped at one point in it's life.

Old Boeing Driver
11th Sep 2013, 20:29
I suspect you are correct, but it's been fun.

Regards,

OBD.