PDA

View Full Version : Scary flight Twin Otter Solomons

VolLibre
12th Aug 2013, 20:59
Wanfela smol samting nomoa...

Scary flight (http://solomonstarnews.com/news/national/18474-scary-flight)

Dash8driver1312
12th Aug 2013, 21:16
The journalism is scarier than the in-flight technical.

No fire. No catastrophic systems failure. No loss of control.

Pinky the pilot
12th Aug 2013, 23:14
The article is not even worthy of being called 'journalism,' Dash8driver1312.

Sensationalist drivel, rubbish, total crap etc would be the best descriptions.:yuk::ugh:

VolLibre
13th Aug 2013, 00:20
About the reporting, I don't disagree. But whereas perhaps the likes of the Daily Mail might be accused of sensationalism in this case there is little capacity to judge what happened or experience of reporting such incidents and probably those feelings expressed by passengers were genuine. Flying over water for long periods can make one a bit edgy not that it makes much difference. However, the fact the incidents are reported, even the pretty routine almost non-event ones like this seems to be (although we don't know the details) must be a good thing. There is often a perception of under reporting, rightly or wrongly.

frigatebird
16th Aug 2013, 10:30
That it was reported at all, was only because there was a Star reporter on the flight. The management would usually hush that sort of thing up from within the company, and sack an experienced expatriate pilot if he had noticed a trend in these type of incidents or tried to get improvement in the efficiency of Operations or Maintenance.
Generally, the maintenance was on a par with most other operators, Engines can fail in flight, that is when they are being operated to earn their keep. And why there are usually a minimum of two of them installed on airline aircraft.
For apprehensive passengers, with 'Hollywood' scenario imagined endings to their excursion, it is usually more traumatic than for a well-trained crew handling something they had practised for beforehand.

zanzibar
16th Aug 2013, 10:41
A Solomon Airline’s TWIN Otter aircraft had to abort its flight into Seghe and Munda, Western province half an hour after taking off from Honiara due to mechanical fault.

Aborted its flight to two destinations - obviously that's twice as bad. Oh, and a TWIN Otter, as against a Twin Otter.

(Comment: Shouldn't it read: "had to abort its flight into Seghe and Munda, Western province due to a mechanical fault half an hour after taking off from Honiara ....." instead of the context thus: after its "taking off from Honiara due to a mechanical fault". Maybe that was the problem after all - taking off due to a mechanical fault?????)

as terrifying for most of the passengers who were on board.

As against those whom weren't on board.

when the aircraft engine changed its sound.

One deduces, then, that reducing power from "T/O" to "climb" must be terrifying. I can't imagine how cataclysmic it must seem when power is reduced for the descent - OMG!!!!!

said she was holding her breath all along during the return flight but when the plane landed safely at the airport it was a relief.

I hope they'd called an ambulance 'cos she was most likely unconscious from such an endeavour.

When the pilot announced that we had to turn back due to mechanical problem I was so scared and death comes to mind.

But I'd be VERY happy to continue for some time to the destination with a problem, it's that damned pilot announcing things that makes me jittery!!

That it was reported at all, was only because there was a Star reporter on the flight

F'bird - spot on.

The article is not even worthy of being called 'journalism,'

Hear, Hear - journalism it isn't.