PDA

View Full Version : Malaga new runway

WetFeet
12th Aug 2013, 14:02
Can anyone update me on the situation with Malaga's new runway. I believe it was taken out of service when the firefighters accused AENA of breaking agreements to provide fire cover. However, I have heard elsewhere that some flights have used it since then. Is it back in service? Thanks.

Right Touch
12th Aug 2013, 14:22
Currently NOTAMED as shut all week apart from Sat & Sun 0700 - 1300 UTC.

Have landed on it twice since it opened over a year ago.

WetFeet
12th Aug 2013, 16:42
Thanks RT. just what I was looking for.

Aksai Oiler
12th Aug 2013, 17:25
I travel regularly (4-5 times per month) and have never seen it used, another Spanish White Elephant?

bogsey
12th Aug 2013, 18:01
It was supposed to be parallel!

WetFeet
12th Aug 2013, 19:14
It's close but not close enough. Should still be enough to enable them to speed up the movements, if it ever gets to that stage. Admittedly properly parallel would have been better. They had the land to do it.

occasional
26th Aug 2013, 08:02
I think we landed on the new runway last week.

Dannyboy39
26th Aug 2013, 09:25
What business case was there to build a brand new runway at AGP? They could've got 3x the movements (at least) on that single runway.

Stone Cold II
26th Aug 2013, 10:10
I've landed on it once and seen it used twice in god knows how many months. Total waste of money and another example of Spain's problems. Taking all that EU money and making super airport terminals and runways that are simply not justified.

Steviec9
26th Aug 2013, 10:10
Part of the business case may be to kick off (again) about Gibraltar, close or disrupt the approaches to GIB and accept the diversions into AGP.. Might only be a handful of flights but its about the same business case that built two huge unused airports with EU money ;)

WetFeet
26th Aug 2013, 12:34
I guess the fact that the new runway isn't parallel to the old one is why it has restricted use. According to the Spanish AIP, no departures on southeasterlies and no arrivals on northwesterlies. In other words, all arrivals and departures will be overland (houses) although that doesn't explain why they appear to have an ILS on both ends.

To be honest, they would have been better sticking with one runway and sending staff to Gatwick to see how it is done!

Splat
26th Aug 2013, 12:54
"sending staff to Gatwick to see how it is done!"

Indeed, and learning the word Direct rather than always issuing Flight plan route on every SID regardless of any traffic or not. Iberia excepted of course.