PDA

View Full Version : Books for ATPL...

kebabman
30th Jan 2002, 22:35
Im hoping to start my atpl course towards the end of this year, and was wondering what reading I could do beforehand. I could do with brushing up on met and due to completing my PPL in america, my RT isn't that good! Any suggestions? Cheers, kebabman.

schuler_tuned
30th Jan 2002, 23:36
Try the local library, you may well be suprised what they have, either in stock or on record and free of course.As for R/T there's no better than either doing it or listening in with a scanner.. .By the way I commend you for wanting to get the R/T right, most of the time it's the only way for a controller to form a judgment of your capability,from which requests can be either granted or denied.The British way is definetly less "informal" than US, other than that just remember to think before you speak(oh if only I could all the time!) tell them who you are, where you are and what you want,try not to waffle and err and you'll be O/K!

redsnail
31st Jan 2002, 03:48
G'day,. .There are plenty of books you can read but there is a lot you can do for yourself as well.. .Remember a picture tells a thousand words.

Watch telly. Look at the world weather and see what the ITCZ is doing. Quite a few climatology questions. Also, note the weather when there is a high px system and a low px system.. .Toddle off to a museum that has an aeronautical theme. Check out the engines and the airframes. Note the turbine engines. ie Axial flow v's centrifugal flow engines. Different shape wings for different speeds/purposes. . .Go to an airfield that has some maintenance hangars. See if you can talk your way in to have a look. Ask questions about piston engines, structures. ie what's a stringer, what's a semi monocoque frame, what does an alternator look like, gyro's etc. Have a look at undercarriages and tyres. What is the markings on the tyres for etc.. .Know the Jepp charts.. .Know the format of a mayday.. .The more stuff you get into your head the easier it is to draw on it for the exams. Also, it is supposed to be fun.. .Good luck.