PDA

View Full Version : CouponDropDown

gemma10
11th Aug 2013, 14:36
Some advice would be welcome here, I`m having difficulty in removing this annoying bit of malware. Running malwarebytes in safe mode keeps finding PUP malware and deletes it. But back it comes again and hijacks just about any website I care to download. Then Avast informs that it has prevented a malicious download. It is not an Add-on from Firefox so haven`t a clue where it came from. Hitman Pro also found some malware, but again back it comes. Heeeeeeeeelp. :ugh::ugh:

BOAC
11th Aug 2013, 15:22
Does Mwareb come up with a name? It may be that if it has got itself 'deeply' rooted into Windows you will need to run an Avast boot-time scan.

gemma10
11th Aug 2013, 16:04
All I remember seeing was two lines with the word PUP in red in each from mwareb. I`ll run it again in safe mode a bit later and report back

Thanks BOAC, I ran the boot-time Avast and it located another twelve PUP malwares. This has also cured another niggling problem. Very slow but thorough, I reckon I could have flown London to Edinburgh and back by the time it completed. Next PC will deffinitely be a raincoat

BOAC
12th Aug 2013, 07:06
Yes, perhaps I should have warned you to go shopping while it ran, but by its nature it has to be slow - but it is thorough. Has all been 'dealt with' now? I would suggest running mwareb a few times for a month or so to check. Do you now know what the PUP (s) was/were? Favourite at the moment are 'drive by' loadings of Coolweb search' and other unwanted toolbars/search engines on the browser. Be careful what you click where.

gemma10
12th Aug 2013, 08:28
All appears to be fixed thanks. Will heed your advice re mwareb. The PUP concerned as I remember was an Ad aware, now this is worrying because it came from an Add-on via Firefox. In more detail what happened was I would open the beeb page, click on an item of news and another page would open over the page wanted. This then stated it was a coupon drop down alleging it would save you money on shopping. I think this is a similar worm to the Sweetim and Blecko hijackers.Hope this helps.

I originally stated it wasn`t an Add on from Firefox, but I must have been incorrect.

BOAC
12th Aug 2013, 09:20
Ah well - let us know should the **** come back:)