PDA

View Full Version : SAMSUNG M3 Station 2TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Mac the Knife
11th Aug 2013, 10:46
Just a tip for this little sucker.

Got one for my son a while ago and Win7Ult suddenly stopped recognising it.

There in Disk Management but no joy.
Gave it a new drive letter, rewrote the MBR, tinkered with the partition table and all sorts of esoteric things but no go.

Tragedy - all his movies!

Hooked it up to a newish Mac (I use the excellent Tuxera NTFS for Mac) and there it was. Copied everything over to a spare drive (took ages), repartitioned and reformatted the Samsung and so far it is behaving itself.

Anyone else with Samsung HDD experiences?

Mac

:8

mixture
13th Aug 2013, 18:16
Tragedy - all his movies!

The only tragedy is you failing to follow the backup advice that I post on here time and time again like a broken record !

One last time because I'm not going to waste my time posting it again :

THREE (3) copies of anything of any value, stored on three independent devices (RAID = one device) from different manufacturers. If one of the copies can be on tape/blueray/dvd or other offline format then all the better. One copy stored off-site. And no, the copy that is currently residing on your computer's own disk does NOT count as one copy, nor do fancy CoW tricks such as LVM snaps on Linux. DO NOT use SSD drives as backup drives, the technology is too immature.... revolving drives have been around since time immemorial and are a tried and tested technology.

Backing your stuff up onto a single cheap consumer-grade hard drive is just asking for trouble. If you're going to be stingy, at least back it up onto a single enterprise class drive.... but I'm not going to condone single target backups, but if you're going to insist on it, buy an enterprise class drive from one of the two major players in the market (Western Digital or Seagate)

Oh, and don't forget to do test restores !

Mac the Knife
13th Aug 2013, 19:37
He can live without his movies (or get them off his pals) - it'll teach him a lesson (or not).

For my serious stuff I use a pair of 3GB NAS boxen in RAID 1 that I rotate weekly between home and work. And DropBox as well.

I graduated to stepper-motor ST-506 drives after tape and floppies so I have a fairly sanguine view of the reliability of spinning rust!

Old-time Mac

:hmm:

Having spent too much time in the past with sector editors, I was really just interested that while Windows was confused, OSX/UNIX was not.