PDA

View Full Version : Fast track Command, where?

nopoal
11th Aug 2013, 08:44
Hi,

Any clues where to get a direct LHS or a fast track Command on the A320.

My experience is over 6000 hours on jets.

despegue
11th Aug 2013, 09:19
Hours do not mean everything.
Ability, amount of landings, Operational environment and maturity level are much more important.

Captaincy is not a given right, it is earned.

8eyes
11th Aug 2013, 09:41
NOPOAL

I agree witsh despegue, hours are not everything. I have flown with some FOs who like you have thousands of hours but were not deemed suitable for a command for a variety of reasons. The worst is probably immaturity, a close second is a craving ambition to display four stripes and the list goes on. On a more serious note do you have any commmand time at all in commercial aircraft over say 15ton? How many hours do you have RHS in the A320? Has your present employer indicated how long it may be before you get LHS?

You also have to ask yourself, is it really a good idea to move to another airline just because they might give you a quick/early command? Would that really be a good reason to go and would it be a good decision for the airline?

nopoal
26th Aug 2013, 07:24
Thank you very much for your answers.

I also think that the command is something that you should earned and not given.

I have no command experience on aircraft above 15 t. Right now more than 3000 hours on the RHS of the bus. I consider myself mature enough for the position. My current employer has an extended seniority list to get the command and it has started to change the terms and conditions (not for better) so by the time I will be offered a command maybe they would like to pay me with Tesco coupons and less than a cadet (unacceptable). Relocation is not a problem. I am already out of my country.

Please share your thoughts and if you have any clue where to get a fast track command shout it ;-)

In the past Air Asia used to take DEFO for a command but for the moment they have stopped.

GlueBall
26th Aug 2013, 09:11
You are asking for opinions? Lower your ambitious expectations and go for a RHS job at fast growing outfits like EK, QR . . . :{

zeddb
27th Aug 2013, 10:05
Fast track command requires either unbelievable luck, a funny handshake, terrific connections and a sense of entitlement that will make you very unpopular. Quite possibly all of the above.

Maybe the desert in the past, not now. Possibly a start up if it actually survives.

So, join the queue. I've been waiting for close on 20 years due to multiple redundancies and there is still no light at the end of the tunnel. Still no sign of the end of said tunnel for that matter. Get used to it, life is not fair or equitable and does not owe you or anyone else a living, or a command.:\

Payscale
27th Aug 2013, 10:22
3000 hours should qualify you for a LHS in your company. To join another company with FO already in their system it is not that impressive. I very natual that you feel ready with that time, but in the broader perspective it usually doesnt qualify for a DEC position. 3000 LHS would. Good luck

Trossie
27th Aug 2013, 11:59
My current employer has an extended seniority list to get the command ... so by the time I will be offered a command ...
Ah, there's the problem: 'those numbers', a numbers based system for promotion rather than a competence based system. The problem is that you should have been aware of that when you joined so you've put yourself in that position. (And about your terms and conditions being eroded, have you considered how badly they become eroded when your employer goes out of business? Many, many pilots have suffered that one.)

Half of the pilots in the front of any normal airliner are captains and half are first officers, therefore half of a pilot's career should be as a captain and half as a first officer. 10,000 hours is probably a reasonable halfway point hours-wise in an average career, so you've still got a long way to go!

My breadmaker has two options: 'normal bake' and 'fast bake'. 'Fast bake' bakes bread in less than half the time of a 'normal bake'. The quality of the 'normal bake' bread is much better than the 'fast bake' bread. See a 'fast track command' in the same terms.

JB007
27th Aug 2013, 13:05
Spot on Trossie...!

And IMHO, I would also think very carefully about the ladder you're climbing, you will get trapped in the LHS, and if the company you are working for thats given you this 'fast-track' is poor in culture/T&C's/lifestyle/base no-where near home, then you could be miserable very quickly when the '4-stripe shine' comes off!

Chill out, enjoy the day to day flying, it will happen when in happens!

nopoal
28th Aug 2013, 09:05
Good morning to all,

Thank you very much for your post. Keep going.

Just some answers.

Payscale. I īve got 3000 on the bus and another 3000 on big jets plus general aviation hours that makes the count over 6000 total time. And basically, I feel ready for the command.

Trossie. My employer completely changed the terms and conditions since I joined. If I knew at the beginning that these was going to happen I would never joined. And of course it is better to have a job rather than not having it because your company has gone bust (I īve already been in the situation).

JB007. I am ready to relocate and to evaluate the offers. If the balance is good enough I will take. If it is not I will reject it. Simple as that.

And back to the topic.

Any one know somewhere to take the fast track path?

latetonite
28th Aug 2013, 13:01
If you feel ready for command, just go several interviews, and convince the recruiters.

triplese7en
28th Aug 2013, 17:38
QR is now offering fast track command (2 yrs in the company required instead of 3).

FlightDick
31st Aug 2013, 07:06
12000hrs TT, over 8000hrs heavy jet (B747-400 & B777), only another 8+ years RHS to go! ;)

slayerdude
31st Aug 2013, 18:50
Nopoal, try tiger in spore, minimum 1yr to CMd....also airasia is again looking for DEC....also......some doggy operators like lion in Indonesia and hong kong airlines....u might meet n exceed lhs req. for these companies...gd luck

FBW390
31st Aug 2013, 20:36
Hi,
for your request go for fast developing low-cost airlines: maybe Vueling and Wizzair in Europe, and in Asia, Tiger, Air Asia as previously said, and others...Citylink in Indonesia?

nitrowired
17th Sep 2013, 15:33
I find myself in the same situation and although it sounds nice to wait for your upgrade that is not an option for me. I dont want to go to EK to get stuck for another 7 years on the right side waiting for a miracle. I would rather get my left seat now anywhere and then bother about getting into the right company. Anyone has any more info on those airlines like waiting period etc.

FlyingTinCans
17th Sep 2013, 18:18
Flydubai, last command course had some guys on it with less than 2 years in the company and the longest had 3 years. Not guaranteed though, the command upgrade has a high failure rate, and they operate 737's not A320's however you don't need to be type rated to join them

eiffel
18th Sep 2013, 11:27
No PIC time required....

AirAsia | Careers | Malaysia based captain positions (http://www.airasia.com/my/en/about-us/my-captain.page)

AIR ASIA - MALAYSIA

Captains

IF YOU WISH TO REGISTER FOR THIS POSITION, THE REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

PILOTS WITH VALID MALAYSIA ATPL.
A MINIMUM TOTAL hours 5500 of Which shall include either criteria 1 or 2 , as described below:-
2000 hours (Airline Operational) (EFIS/FMS) MULTI PILOT JET / NOT JET or
1000 hours on Airbus TYPE A320/A330/A340
Age Limit : Minimum 26 years old, Maximum 60 years

PILOTS WITH VALID FOREIGN ICAO ATPL.
A MINIMUM TOTAL hours 6000 of which shall include:
At least 2500 hours (Airline Operational) MULTI PILOT JET ONLY (EFIS/FMS) above 20,000 kgs
Age limit : Minimum 26 years, Maximum 60 years