PDA

View Full Version : End of RAF Brize Norton, Dalton Barracks/RAF Abingdon or RAF Croughton?!

Lima Juliet
9th Aug 2013, 22:07
I've just been reading some of the Airport Commission submissions and I cannot believe some of the amateurish submissions - see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/long-term-options-proposals-received-by-the-airports-commission

The one by the so-called Progressive Aviation Group for RAF Croughton and "Steventon" (which is adjacent to Abingdon) made me chuckle with the CAA VFR chart with the 2 locations drawn on in chinagraph!!! I also have news for Courtney Mil - sorry mate, the Croughton one is right over your house!!!

There is a slightly better proposal for the Abingdon area, but do they really think that "call me Dave" will allow this in his constituency? Also, the paths would effectively shut RAF Brize Norton.

WTF is the Airport Commission doing? These amateurs have produced proposals no better than Year 7 school projects on where to put London's Airports.

It just beggars belief...:ugh:

...if I didn't know better it might be April 1st!

LJ

chopper2004
9th Aug 2013, 22:41
What does the PAG want then w.r.t to Croughton reduce the airspace to the equivalent area inside one of the golf balls there then? Lol :eek:

Or place the equivalent of Swannick on site? ? :mad:

Cheers

A and C
10th Aug 2013, 00:10
The people are obviously using the NAVTECH charts from AIG, the latest of these for Gatwick shows Detling VOR to be south east of the Gatwick runway centerline !

Just what you need in an engine failure chart !!

Will someone please bring back the Jepps !

VX275
10th Aug 2013, 09:32
Whilst there is logic in positioning an airport on the land Southwest of Abingdon this is really just a stalking horse to get the reservoir previously rejected for the same land.

CoffmanStarter
10th Aug 2013, 09:45
Leon ...

Sounds like a good excuse to start a "Protest Camp" outside Courtney's place ... :}

Lima Juliet
10th Aug 2013, 09:49
Coff

What a cracking idea - I've found a campaign HQ THE RED LION LITTLE TINGEWICK - Home (http://www.redlionlittletingewick.co.uk/)

LJ :ok:

Courtney Mil
10th Aug 2013, 10:53
Now there's a thing! Actually, I rather like the Croughton plan. My place will be very close to the southern most WSW approach, which would certainly give us a great opportunity to watch and hear the jets all day and all night, but I'll leave it to you work out why I really like the idea. The only downside will be the restrictions on ops at RAF Finmere.

However, even better than having a huge airport on our doorstep is the idea of having a protest camp and The Red Lion will be the perfect HQ. I suggest the use of U/VHF jammers, Maquis style direct action and random road blocks. We shall all wear berets and sit plotting in darkened smokey rooms. We'll need a decent BBQ and extra beer supplies.

CoffmanStarter
10th Aug 2013, 11:44
Sounds my type of Protest Camp ... unlike that "Fracking Mob" down here :mad:

Lima Juliet
10th Aug 2013, 13:09
Count me in Courtney!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/24/article-1380045-0030411300000258-576_306x473.jpg

CoffmanStarter
10th Aug 2013, 13:55
LJ in his student days :}

Cornerstone958
10th Aug 2013, 14:23
When's the first meeting?:D

NutLoose
10th Aug 2013, 16:14
Courtney Mil

Now there's a thing! Actually, I rather like the Croughton plan. My place will be very close to the southern most WSW approach, which would certainly give us a great opportunity to watch and hear the jets all day and all night, but I'll leave it to you work out why I really like the idea..

Visions of him up on the roof shaking loose tiles for his compensation claim..

Courtney Mil
10th Aug 2013, 17:32
And your point being? :E

dead_pan
11th Aug 2013, 16:33
I reckon the five blokes who make up PAG have rather sneakily submitted a blatant copy of the previous version of the LOX proposal aired in 2003, in the vain hope that Pleiade wouldn't submit anything this time around. Little did they know that Pleiade have the might of the Chinese government behind them.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Bill Macgillivray
11th Aug 2013, 21:18
Yes!! The Red Lion at Tingewick would be a perfect Sector Ops HQ (No, sorry, I mean a meeting place for those of us who have the odd minor doubt about what our so-called "leaders" think is realistic!). This must be the most ridiculous scheme proposed. Not personal, I have lived on or near airports nearly all my life (part of the job) but are these people amateurs or what? :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Bill

teeteringhead
12th Aug 2013, 09:14
We'll need a decent BBQ ... now would that be gas or charcoal ....... :E

hat, coat, body armour .........

Jumping_Jack
12th Aug 2013, 09:32
The RAF Croughton proposal assumes an almost 180 degree suggestion than that currently being discussed in USAF circles. Duty rumour at present is that RAF Molesworth & Alconbury upsticks and relocate at Croughton! Even talk of new main gate onto the A43. :hmm:

Courtney Mil
12th Aug 2013, 09:42
I particularly like the fact that they've chosen the perfect location to necessitate the flattening of an entire village in order to make way for their terminal buildings. I can't see anyone objecting to that. Besides, we're all used to having our houses, farms and villages demolished around here, what with HS2 and all that.

The proximity to the M40 must be a real plus too. After all, the stretch around Oxford never gets busy at all (merely a dull roar about 3 a.m.) and the A43 must have bags of spare capacity.

Naaa, no complaints here, but I'll still be in the protest camp, just for the fun of it! Power to the People! :ok:

P.S. It will have to be a gas barbecue due to the need to have to extinguish quickly without having to dispose of all those hot ashes. We never know when the authorities are going to mount a raid.

CoffmanStarter
12th Aug 2013, 13:11
Right ... I've sourced a piece of useful dual purpose kit for our Protest Camp ...

Here it is ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/imagecopy2_zps511d3a6e.jpeg

Ideal Gas BBQ and general heat source for winter ops (Braziers are so NCB :E) ... but more importantly if we are to be faced with the local constabulary looking to "move us on" ... it will come in handy ... as I reckon you could move about four (full crewed) Police Riot Vans in one go at full chat.

Teeteringhead ... We'll need you to provide Top Cover ... one ... to take out any marauding Police Helicopters and ... two ... provide good intel on ground movements by the authorities. Your choice of "mount" old chap :ok:

Courtney Mil
12th Aug 2013, 16:46
Coff,

I'm liking the Protest Assult Vehicle very much. It's going to need a respray and new rubber mats to make sure it's up to the job.

teeteringhead
12th Aug 2013, 17:58
Coff

my choice of mount .......:E

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6aqA4XnFqjAk3lgpQ5NAZe6HQb2keDT5MiTpoQIg P1_rqusYN1A

...and my WSO .....:E:E

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqNvwA1NjhpPcxc4XiCU2QTOdTOGhJU1nttl5f4sa c6htM8phn9Q

CoffmanStarter
12th Aug 2013, 18:12
First class TH :D:D:D:D ... Mind you keep you hands on the cyclic and collective please :ok:

Lima Juliet
12th Aug 2013, 20:12
Here's my choice of mount...

http://e.asset.soup.io/asset/1987/7950_ea21_960.jpeg

...and my choice of aircraft! :E

LJ

CoffmanStarter
12th Aug 2013, 20:14
LJ :=:=:=:=

Wander00
12th Aug 2013, 21:30
Don't get Beagle started, or you know who will turn up.