PDA

View Full Version : Exercise ECG and Echocardiogram

Packs off
9th Aug 2013, 08:51
Just had to do an exercise ECG and Echocardiogram due to my age. Found a company called Cardiac Screen Ltd (link below) who did the whole thing for GBP 450, way less than anyone else I could find. Excellent service and the results in my hand in 1 hour. The doctor who signed the paperwork is Dr. M M Webb-Peploe. He is a member of the CAA medical advisory panel, so there should be no argument over his conclusions. If you have any cardiology queries I strongly recommend this company.

Cardiac Care | Heart Screening | London Medical Clinic (http://www.cardiacscreen.co.uk/index.php)

ajd1
9th Aug 2013, 17:27
I agree. An excellent bloke and the whole experience was far less traumatic than I had imagined.

40&80
10th Aug 2013, 08:44
Who paid the 450 quid?.....company...licensing authority that required it...or the poor old piloIt was all different in my day...we never had to pay for a medical or a licence or type ratings..technical exams etc.....we were a lucky generation.

ajd1
10th Aug 2013, 13:58
Quite so. However, the exercise ECG is a licensing requirement (in Euroland) for over 65s wishing to retain a Class One medical, for whatever reason.

So the poor old pilot will usually have to cough up (in more ways than one!!).

Gulfstreamaviator
11th Aug 2013, 01:11
I had a GCAA (UAE) and they wanted a Stress test, after each test I was told there were odd indications so I was required to wear a 24 hr monitor.

This was the same experience of several 60+ pilots.

Always passed the second time...AND the monitor often malfunctioned, loose connecting thingies.

But the total coast was c 1500 us$.

So when my GCAA work dried up, the GCAA licence was stuck on the wall framed.

Then the UK CAA / JAA / EASA decided that 65+ stress tests required, so now I am letting my EU? class 1 lapse.

That you Mr FAA. I did a 65+ renewal two days ago, the only stress I had was removing my shirt, for the nice young lady.
NO Audio headphone thingi, that resembled a WW2 DF set.
Nice new FAA Cl1, in my hand.

As an aside, the medical certificate I received tells you to cut it to size..... Just like EASA tells you NOT to do.....
And the bill 100$ for everything................................

I still fly the same passengers, in the same aircraft in the same airspace.

That's progress....

Glf

Radgirl
11th Aug 2013, 11:00
Sadly it isn't just an issue of money and hassle but also risk.

Some will have seen that paragon of virtue George Bush junior recently had a medical check up. The media report he had a 'routine' exercise ECG (whatever that might be) which was abnormal and he proceeded to an angiogram and a stent. Interestingly it has been the US medical fraternity - not commonly known for frowning on poly therapy and treating anything that moves - that has been up in arms with first division hospitals such as the Mayo Clinic pointing out that there is no evidence of benefit in treating people with an abnormal exercise ECG - other than statins, aspirin and control of hypertension - as in asymptomatic individuals you simply don't reduce the risk of heart attacks, strokes or death

So we force asymptomatic pilots to spend money on a test simply based on date of birth. Then when it is abnormal they get pressurised to undergo further investigations and down the slippery slope they go. Yet if the same individuals were doing another occupation and asked their doctor about having an exercise ECG they would be told it wasnt a good idea.

Doubtless, as many of the regulations seem to arise this way, it was the result of a fudge at some committee where one country wanted to ban all pilots over 21 and another wanted no ban so they compromised

It would be nice if the CAA would post and try to justify this issue - I am sure they can find the odd case where they can demonstrate a critical coronary stenosis was picked up in the nick of time, but we should be considering the entire population of pilots, risk vs benefit etc

I won't hold out too much hope

Good Business Sense
11th Aug 2013, 16:22
.... CAA CYA