PDA

View Full Version : Broadford, Isle of Skye, 1977

WHBM
7th Aug 2013, 17:56
Staying in Broadford on the Isle of Skye, Scotland in August 1977, one morning there was a considerable aircraft noise from the out-of-sight airstrip which is near the village. Driving away, in the far distance was what I would now guess was a Dash-7, which at that date was not really in service yet.

Anyone have an idea what it might have been ? A demonstrator over in Europe being shown to Loganair and taken into one of the tough and tight strips on their patch ?

Tiger_mate
7th Aug 2013, 19:47
In 1977 IIRC Loganair operated Islanders and Trilanders with the latter operating the Skye routes.

The first Twin Otter was delivered in 1977 and could be the aircraft you seek.

A Shorts 330 followed in about 80 and may have been demonstrated beforehand. My instinct says that the Twin Otter is the answer.

Tiger_mate
7th Aug 2013, 19:52
A Dash 7 was ordered in 1980 but not delivered as Brymon won the route it was intended for. One would expect demonstrator to order to be relatively close to one another; Banderantes (Sp?) were ordered in about 80.

treadigraph
7th Aug 2013, 20:32
I think the prototype Dash 7 was over that summer for the Paris Air Show?

Ah hah... Demonstration in Scotland July '77 (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1977/1977%20-%202257.html)...

WHBM
8th Aug 2013, 08:27
Well done Treaders, I hadn't found it.

What a racket that Dash-7 made over the fields, almost as if they were doing a lengthy engine run-up test there; if anyone from the London City initial team had been up there on holiday that week, it would never have gone any further.

Phileas Fogg
9th Aug 2013, 10:53
I think Loganair actually acquired a Dash 7 or few from wound-up Airlines of Britain sister company London City Airways.