PDA

View Full Version : B.A. at BHX

GERBY
7th Aug 2013, 08:03
Can any one give me the various names and dates of British Airways subsidiary companys based at Birmingham , from 1990 until the base closed.
GRF

Tiger_mate
8th Aug 2013, 08:24
A BA livered Regional Jet CRJ operated the BHX - BFS (Aldergrove) service using Maersk Air aircraft. Previously using BAC 1-11 which also operated as Maersk aircraft.

Maersk is Danish by origin.

Skipness One Echo
8th Aug 2013, 10:00
Birmingham European merged with Brymon to become Brymon European around 1993, this was then demerged soon afterwards with the former Birmingham European becoming a BA franchisee yet owned by Maersk, trading as Maersk UK. This was the norm until around 2003-4 when the franchise was not renewed and the company was relaunched as Duo which then went bust.

Anything else at BHX with BA was British Airways (Regional) which was really just BA.

captainsmiffy
8th Aug 2013, 14:43
Not forgetting, of course, BA Connect - which was the old Brymon merged with BRAL and flying in BA colours with BA callsigns.....at some point or other, memory dims, we were also known as BA Citiexpress. Think that this was pre merge with BRAL....but what the hell...I joined Brymon in 96 and when I left I was called Flybe!! There were lots of name changes in between....!!

WHBM
9th Aug 2013, 09:54
Although I couldn't give the complete set of dates, there was a remarkable variety of BA operations at Birmingham over this period; mainline operations, subsidiaries, franchise operators in BA colours, and franchise operators in their own colours. Seemed to change from year to year. Some routes actually ran with a mix of mainline and franchise aircraft through the day.

Among other items, the first BA A319s, now a Heathrow fleet, were delivered new to Birmingham, where they replaced the One-Elevens; these latter normally seemed to be the ex-B Cal fleet, with the longstanding BA ones generally at Manchester. When the A319s were moved down to Heathrow, the RJ100 fleet from Gatwick was moved up to Birmingham in their place. These were the aircraft that later went to London City.

ETOPS
9th Aug 2013, 10:17
captainsmiffy

You think you were confused :confused:

Here's one of the MAN based 737-200 I used to fly for BAR...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/9/1/1/0256119.jpg

Can you guess what the BHX based aircraft said along the side :ugh:

WHBM
9th Aug 2013, 11:47
Can you guess what the BHX based aircraft said along the side
OK, wild guess ........ "Deutsche BA" ??

Tay Cough
9th Aug 2013, 18:48
Among other items, the first BA A319s, now a Heathrow fleet, were delivered new to Birmingham, where they replaced the One-Elevens;

One step too many. The A319s replaced the 737-200s (and a few -300s) which had themselves replaced the 1-11s.