PDA

View Full Version : Had a go round yesterday

t1grm
6th Aug 2013, 10:49
KM420 flying into BRU about 19:00. We flew into a thunderstorm on final approach. Plane started bouncing round then I saw lightning out the window and heard rain hammering on the plane (very loud - never heard it that loud in the cabin before). Seconds later the engines were on full power and we were doing a steep climb and bank to the right. We soon popped out of it and did a long sweep round the airport and landed from a different direction 15 mins later. You could see the thunderstorm moving away as we circled the airport. The captain came on the PA and said there was a traffic issue at BRU although I don't think anyone believed that ;) All fun stuff although there were a few wide eyes and white faces amongst the passengers!

A320baby
6th Aug 2013, 11:26
A decision well made by the crew. :ok:

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Aug 2013, 11:45
A decision well made by the crew.

Shouldn't have been entering a thunderstorm on final approach in the 1st place:ugh:

t1grm
6th Aug 2013, 12:13
I thought the crew handled the situation excellently. My understanding is that these isolated thunderstorms can form very quickly - a bit like tornados. The conditions were very hot and humid. They did well to read the problem and get the hell out of there ASAP.

SeenItAll
6th Aug 2013, 12:52
Why do you assume that this GA was weather-related and not what the pilot said it was? He said, "traffic issue." Indeed, one of the most common reasons for a GA is because the previously-landing plane (i.e., "traffic") hasn't yet cleared the runway.