PDA

View Full Version : BA25 squawking 7700

MrLeGuen
5th Aug 2013, 20:12
Dumped fuel apparently.

Has anyone any info?

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker! (http://www.flightradar24.com/BAW25)

Update is that the undercarriage will apparently not retract.

ericlday
5th Aug 2013, 20:21
Thread already running in Spectators

Ant
5th Aug 2013, 20:24
Was following this myself. How did you know about the landing gear BEFORE it had landed back at Heathrow??

MrLeGuen
5th Aug 2013, 20:26
Update from another forum where a poster works ATC

fenland787
5th Aug 2013, 20:33
Breaking News on the Beeb:
.A British Airways plane bound for Hong Kong has had to return to Heathrow after developing a "minor technical fault".
A company spokesman said it was "well within the scope of Heathrow to deal with this kind of issue" Astonishing - anyone would think it was a 787!

whalebone
5th Aug 2013, 20:36
Went over mine (just south of Colchester) outbound, low & slow with nose gear down.. By the time I found the binoculars he was too far away to see properly. Glad all appears to be ended safely.

Dengue_Dude
5th Aug 2013, 20:43
Oh dear, did anyone check the pin was on the end of the flag?

Airclues
5th Aug 2013, 20:48
DD

Hopefully the flag wasn't there. If it was, it would have had a pin attached.

MrLeGuen
5th Aug 2013, 20:59
I'm not understanding your post regarding 'DD' or the flag. Please could you elaborate.

Thanks.

Lord Spandex Masher
5th Aug 2013, 21:00
Maybe the flag got pulled off the pin as the groundie yoinked it out.

Lord Spandex Masher
5th Aug 2013, 21:06
MrLeGuen,

DD is the dude above the dude who posted DD.

The flag is usually attached to a pin which is inserted into the nose wheel gubbins for the push back to inhibit nose wheel steering.

Airclues
5th Aug 2013, 21:14
I believe that DD was probably referring to the push-back pin, but if not then please accept my apologies. This is inserted by the groundcrew during push-back so as to lock out the hydraulics to the nosewheel. The pin is removed after push-back and the pin and streamer are shown to the pilots. If this pin is not removed then the aircraft wouldn't make it to the runway as there would be no nosewheel steering.
There is a completely different pin which locks the gear down. This is inserted much higher up in the nosewheel bay. It has a long flag attatched. Hence my statement that if the flag was there, the pin would also be there The insertion of the nose lock pin (not the push-back pin) should be entered in the tech log.

Edit;

The nose lock-down pin cannot be removed simply by pulling on the streamer. It requires an engineer to actually release the pin up in the bay.

qwertyuiop
5th Aug 2013, 21:19
Think DD is talking about the nose wheel locking pin. The Crew would be aware if the NWS pin had been left in.

Lord Spandex Masher
5th Aug 2013, 21:22
Yeah, of course. Brain fart!

BARKINGMAD
5th Aug 2013, 21:54
As aware as the loose engine cowlings crew.........................? OUCH!

Possible NLG downlock pin inserted for towing but had lost its flag..........?

Back to CHIRP for reports of overstretch, undermanning, fatigue, inadequate time allocated for essential tasks and the rest.

Not a good season for WFA nor the rest of us.

sudden twang
5th Aug 2013, 22:02
Why suggest NLG pin?
It could have been one of many things eg HYD SYS 1 or 4.

qwertyuiop
5th Aug 2013, 22:06
Barkingmad.

Very different to the Cowling. The NWS would not work if the NWS pin was left in. The crew would know as soon as they started to taxi.

lilflyboy262...2
5th Aug 2013, 22:18
Oh my god people....... :ugh:
Can some people not understand a bit of light hearted humour?!?! Pretty clear that he wasn't saying it was the actual cause! Jeez.
No wonder why this world has gone so PC

BARKINGMAD
5th Aug 2013, 22:34
Qyertyuiop. Please re-read my post.

I referred to the NLG DOWNLOCK PIN, not the NWS bypass pin.

BA have, or used to have, a rule that no aircraft could be towed without the NLG Downlock Pin inserted, after a NLG collapse incident during towing.

R T F Q? And then pursue your case? :ugh:

DaveReidUK
5th Aug 2013, 22:40
BA have, or used to have, a rule that no aircraft could be towed without the NLG Downlock Pin inserted, after a NLG collapse incident during towing.The aircraft in question would certainly have been towed on stand, as it had not flown at all during the past 7 days.