PDA

View Full Version : Google bloatware

crewmeal
4th Aug 2013, 17:30
I've just purchased a Sony Xperia Z and like the Samsung there is so much bloatware installed on it. Any geeks out there know how to stop it from functioning or even better get rid of it? It's a real pain because you can't switch off the google rubbish and of course eats into the battery life.

BOAC
4th Aug 2013, 20:09
It would help if you told us:
The OS
Which 'bloatware'

Most of it can be 'switched off'

crewmeal
4th Aug 2013, 20:18
Android 4.1.2

Bloatware includes:

Google play books
Google play magazines
Google play movies
Google play music
Google play services
Google +
Hangouts
McAfee Security
Music unlimited
Play memories online
Play now
Talkback
Video Unlimited
Xperia link
Xperia Social Engine Photos

If you switch it off most of it will restart on its own, why I do not know but it's irritating:ugh:

BOAC
4th Aug 2013, 21:17
Does this help? It says you cannot uninstall the apps (don't you lurv Google..............?) but can switch them off.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2521768?hl=en-GB

Tinstaafl
5th Aug 2013, 05:10
You'll need to gain root access to your phone and then install a modified Android operating system that has had the crapware removed eg CyanogenMod or equivalent.

crewmeal
5th Aug 2013, 05:57
If you start messing with root access you will invalidate any warranties. It's bad enought that T-Mobile won't unlock the phone until you're 6 months into the contract. When I go abroad I now have to switch this phone off and not use it for fear of running up horrendous charges.

BOAC thanks for the link but it doesn't change anything.

DozyWannabe
7th Aug 2013, 22:58
Hold up - most of those apps won't be running by default. Is your problem that they are running and using resources, or just that they are installed? They won't cause performance issues unless you explicitly run them.

To have a look at what's *actually* running, there's a free app called Android Tweak, which will let you look at what's running and shut it down if necessary.

crewmeal
8th Aug 2013, 06:19
Is your problem that they are running and using resources, or just that they are installed? They won't cause performance issues unless you explicitly run them.

Both! The Sony Xperia is a complicated phone as it runs apps without you knowing they run! Even though I've tried to disable them they still run. This will be the last Android phone I buy becasue of all this crap installed that's no doubt designed for younger people to spend money.

mixture
8th Aug 2013, 19:07
This will be the last Android phone I buy becasue of all this crap installed that's no doubt designed for younger people to spend money.

Don't tell XV105, he'll be in here telling you how great Android is because its free and open.

Buy an iPhone. No bloatware unless you install the apps yourself. :E

crewmeal
9th Aug 2013, 06:12
Buy an iPhone.

I will if the 5s/6 model is worth it. The only reason I migrated from an iphone 4 was an Android phone had more options to it and you could add software direct to a removable micro sim without using itunes. The iphone 4s and 5 models have become dated. The Sony has a 1080 resolution and the quality of photos and movies are excellent. Yesterday I upgraded the Android software to 4.2.2 and spent the evening redoing all the settings again as all the bloatware decided to update itself. Needless to say it cost battery life!

HandyAndy
9th Aug 2013, 17:52
I don't think it is Androids fault all that "stuff" is on the phone. I have had a HTC Desire (bought in HK) for 4 years and it has been trouble-free and bloatware-free since purchase.

I rooted it after purchase and have tried many different roms on it. Great fun if that is what tickles your fancy. You can un-root easily if necessary.

To get rid of that stuff you'll need to root it (plenty of help on the net). I use RootAppDelete available on Android Market. Use the Safe Mode function to disable the system apps (this program also tells you what you can and can't safely disable) - they can be enabled again if something goes wrong.:ok: