PDA

View Full Version : Meridian Aviation ceases trading

Affretage
3rd Aug 2013, 23:08
Meridian Aviation ceases trading :D

Meridian Aviation ceases trading - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/08/02/44889/meridian+aviation+ceases+trading.html)

As always, tour operators will be left to carry the can. I hope they didn't pay huge deposits to these people, as these will most certainly be lost. Wouldn't be the first time though, would it ?

Some people will never learn. :ugh:

dc9-32
4th Aug 2013, 08:08
Crocodile tears MK2......

Interesting comment:

"Meridian is a shadow of what they used to be, they couldn't get the aircraft."

I know of at least one European operator who had 3 A320's available this summer.

rog747
4th Aug 2013, 08:14
they were a broker (not an airline) same as Viking used to be (all seemingly connected in one way or another over the years)

so smaller mainly Greek tour operators like Sunvil and Olympic holidays bought blocks of seats from them on a charter flight series.

small planet was one airline they acted as broker for and they are still flying.

meridian did sell flight only themselves on a small basis.

the smaller package tour industry for places like Greece has got smaller and smaller over the years as so many operators were swallowed up the 2 big T's
or disappeared when Libra/XL went broke...

airlines like small planet SPA have found a niche here in the UK to pick up that business but they have been struggling themselves to keep their flying program on track, they have suffered horrendous delays and many sub-charters out to a parade of other airlines...that must be costly

GROUNDHOG
4th Aug 2013, 12:32
I can assure you Meridian and Viking had no connection at all, VIAC was purchased by First Choice along with Unijet Group PLC.

IAG - Independent Aviation Group is the major supplier to the smaller Independent operators and has been for over 20 years, it is the same company that supplied the 737's and the operating infrastructure that Stelios used to start easyjet.

Long gone are the days when the few remaining small tour operators had a vast choice of flights....!

Affretage
4th Aug 2013, 13:31
GROUNDHOG

By claiming that Viking and Merdian are not connected, you are showing how little you know about the UK aviation market.

The only reason for your post is to advertise your own company.

You are not a big player. That's why you don't know the links between XL, Viking, Viking Hellas, Tor Air, Small Planet and Meridian. They all have one bloke in common. If you know the market, you will know who I am talking about.

rog747
4th Aug 2013, 15:57
affretage

exactly what i was on about above in post about long term connections over the years...same names crop up....

Flightrider
4th Aug 2013, 19:35
I think there is some confusion here. Viking, which was the broking / charter arm of Unijet and Air UK Leisure and which was merged into Air 2000 when Unijet/UKL was acquired by them, was nothing to do with the Viking Airlines set-up of Sweden. The latter has people connections to the thread title, the former most definitely does not!

Affretage
4th Aug 2013, 21:52
I thought we were all talking about recent events here. Viking "Aviation" got absorbed into Air2000 a very long time ago. I am sure that when people talk about Viking these days, they are referring to either Viking Airlines AB, or Viking Hellas. Thanks to ‘you all know who’, a.k.a. Crocodile Tears, none of these airlines remain in business.

Tour operators must be overjoyed that they can now deal directly with Small Planet Airlines. But Croc tears is always a few steps ahead of his tour operating clients. In May 2013 he had already implanted his bean counter into Small Planet. They even publicised the appointment here: - Small Planet Airlines strengthens its management team - News - Small Planet Airlines (http://www.smallplanet.aero/en/read-news/69-small-planet-airlines-strengthens-its-management-team.html) It is safe to assume that he has an interest in Small Planet via his Icelandic friends.

Make of it what you will. Let’s just hope that Small Planet will not share the same fate as XL, Viking, Viking Hellas, Tor Air…… Have I forgotten any airlines prior to XL ? Air Scandic comes to mind, but there are probably others. Feel free to complete the list.

Small Planet were warned in 2011 not to get into bed with Crocodile Tears. They made their bed, now they will have to lie in it. Hope they are able to sleep at night.

GROUNDHOG
5th Aug 2013, 07:44
Affretage - I do not suppose you will be man (or woman) enough to apologise for your blatantly inaccurate suggestions that I "do not know the market", I can assure you that I spent over 35 years at the leading edge of it.

My post clearly relates to VIAC Viking Inernational Air Chartering and clearly states it was purchased by First Choice, If you knew the market you would know that is a different company to Viking Hellas though I can see how it could confused.

I have known the gentleman in question since he was a slip of a lad at Owners Abroad back in the 1970's so your comment is absurd.

As to advertising my 'own' company I have been retired for many years.

I suggest you do not try to teach your Grandmother to suck eggs in future, read posts properly and think before replying.:ugh:

Affretage
5th Aug 2013, 10:00
GROUNDHOG

My apologies. You did know your market, but that was obviously a long time ago. That's why you would bring up companies like VIAC and Owner Abroad. You forgot to mention Freddy Laker in all this.

Still not sure though why you would bring up VIAC when people are clearly talking about the links between Viking (the airline) and Meridian.

And as regards the 'lad' at Owners Abroad, I wouldn't go as far as to refer to him as a gentleman, after everything he has done to this industry. :=

GROUNDHOG
5th Aug 2013, 10:39
Thanks Affretage I appreciate that and reciprocate for any confusion between the two. I do keep abreast of what is going on in the market today but wouldn't go back to it at any price.

I certainly do not agree with all that 'he' has done but there has been a lot of good along the way as well, another whole thread there, he is still though welcome at my table.

Sorry to see another name from the past die away.

Phileas Fogg
5th Aug 2013, 10:52
You forgot to mention Freddy Laker in all this

Affretage,

Ignorance can be a wonderful thing ... not.

I can assure you that my ex boss went by the identity "Freddie"

GROUNDHOG
5th Aug 2013, 14:07
And a fine man he was too, of course I didn't mention him for the same reason I didn't mention BOAC, Manchester United,The Great Train Robbery or Routemaster buses as the relevance to Meridian is the same for all of them:rolleyes:

ericlday
5th Aug 2013, 14:17
Come on now lets have a bit a respect....Sir Freddie !!!!!!!

Affretage
6th Aug 2013, 11:53
Three or four years ago, this would have been big news. But as dc9-32 posted earlier, Meridian is only a shadow of what it used to be.

I guess it's all eyes on Small Planet now ? :confused:

on time all the time
7th Aug 2013, 09:52
More revelations about meridian, Phil Wyatt etc in today,s travel weekly

Affretage
7th Aug 2013, 21:30
The plot thickens ............
Goldtrail collapse court papers list defendants linked to Meridian failure - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2013/08/07/44921/goldtrail+collapse+court+papers+list+defendants+linked+to+me ridian+failure.html#disqus_thread)

Affretage
14th Aug 2013, 15:06
Can't see any tour operator wanting to work with Wyatt after this article in Travel Weekly magazine.

TRAVEL WEEKLY 15 AUGUST 2013 (http://fmgstatic.ceros.com/travelweeklydigital/travel-weekly-15-august-2013/page/12)

dc9-32
15th Aug 2013, 07:27
Maybe he should have stayed as Ops Supervisor at Monarch :ok:

Affretage
22nd May 2014, 22:13
It's official .....

Wyatt and fellow defendants found liable for full Goldtrail claim - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/05/22/48069/wyatt+and+fellow+defendants+found+liable+for+full+goldtrail+ claim.html)

Yet, I bet there are still a few 'idiot' tour operators happy to give their money to Wyatt. Well, good luck to them, they are obviously beyond help.:ugh:

Cheers
Affretage