PDA

View Full Version : Window Shade Etiquette

ZFT
3rd Aug 2013, 09:36
Is there such a thing?

Flew back from LHR overnight with a lunchtime departure. I was seated by a window. 2 hours after takeoff the pax in the opposite aisle (via the cc) demanded I close the window blind as it was keeping him awake. I was reading so I declined his request. I didn‘t feel it unreasonable at 3 pm to want natural light. His reaction was ‘interesting’.

We were in a premier cabin and the amenity kits contain eye shades which I reminded him of but apparently he didn’t like to wear them over his sensitive skin.
2 hours later of course it was naturally dark anyway.

Is there any such thing as Window Shade etiquette or is the pax by the blind in control?

My own view is that if you want daylight or just want to enjoy the view then it really is your choice.

goudie
3rd Aug 2013, 09:42
I've been in this situation when a fellow pax, sitting next to me, asked if would pull the blind down. I pulled it down to within a couple of inches from the bottom. This reduced any glare but gave enough light for me to read.

ZFT
3rd Aug 2013, 09:59
Agreed, that just being polite and friendly. I would do the same. This guy demanded black out conditions.

racedo
3rd Aug 2013, 10:10
Ask politely get a polite response, demand then get appropriate response.

Given Pax had means of blocking out light then clearly there appears to be a belief that sitting in a premier cabin gave more priveleges that existed.

Scott C
3rd Aug 2013, 12:08
I book and pay for a window seat so I can look out of the window... Even on night flights I don't sleep.

If the other passenger wants the window shade down then they should have booked a window seat...

If there is lots of glare, I'll pull it down a bit, but other that, the shade stays up!

PAXboy
3rd Aug 2013, 14:20
I always specify a window - for flight of ANY duration. I do lower a bit but never close unless I am goign to sleep.

If someone boards a flight knowing they want to sleep and knowing they have eye shades provided for free? Then they have the solution.

When CC ask me to lower the shade - I still leave a gap.

vctenderness
3rd Aug 2013, 16:57
Quite a difficult one this. When in a smaller cabin such as First with sleepers and during day light if one passenger decides to open blinds the whole cabin lights up like someone shining a spotlight in.

It can be quite embarrassing if you are the one who fancies a quick peek at the outside world!

A lot of customers book sleeper seats for that very purpose so can get quite arsey if they are disturbed. But those that want to read or look out have as many rights.

TightSlot
3rd Aug 2013, 17:33
Everybody has rights: That is precisely the problem!:E

In my experience, the problem arises when people fall asleep with the blind open on overnight sectors. If you are seated by a window and wish to look out, then that would seem to be reasonable, and eyeshades are available for others who wish to sleep. Leaving a shade blind open in an otherwise dark cabin when you yourself are not "using" it strikes me as being a trifle inconsiderate.

I would agree with racedo to the extent that this seems to be more of a problem of courtesy than anything else - it was the "demanding" that created the ill feeling, rather than the situation itself. A shared, confined space requires tolerance and courtesy from everybody for things to work, and since both qualities are in short supply these days, the problems are inevitable.

easyflyer83
3rd Aug 2013, 17:42
It's the pax right... Unless the CC ask in order to assist pax sleeping, for instance on a westbound overnight where you are chasing daylight or a summer eastbound where darkness only occurs for a few hours.

spannersatcx
3rd Aug 2013, 17:43
I was reading isn't that what reading lights are for?

Mr @ Spotty M
3rd Aug 2013, 20:48
He should have ask the cc if they had a paper bag, that would have been OK for his sensitive skin. :E
or
Flown on the B787 where the cc can turn them dark to stop 98% of the light getting in, but then the fires would create even more light. :E

PAXboy
4th Aug 2013, 00:20
I agree TS. Sometimes, I place the blanket over my head whilst looking out of the window - like an old time photographer. It works!

Curiosuly it tends not to work the other way - if I am enjoying the daylight and others close their blinds to sleep and make the cabin dreary - I do not complain. perhaps I should? :E

Load Toad
4th Aug 2013, 02:51
I love looking out of the windows during flights & when the CC ask me to close the windows it pisses me off. As far as possible I try to keep mine open (in so far as doing so really wouldn't inconvenience everyone else or if the sunlight is seriously direct, bright & hot).

Sunnyjohn
4th Aug 2013, 10:06
These problems arise in all forms of public (and sometimes private) transport: you open the window on a bus, someone wants it closed; you want the window shade up on the train, someone wants it down; you want quiet so you book a seat in a quiet carriage, someone has their stereo on very loud. That's why so many people like cars and drive them alone - something the greens can't seem to understand.

M-ONGO
4th Aug 2013, 11:44
I love looking out of the windows during flights & when the CC ask me to close the windows it pisses me off.

The CC cannot demand you close them. Just leave them up if you're enjoying the view.

ZFT
4th Aug 2013, 16:30
spannersatcx

Quote:
I was reading
isn't that what reading lights are for?

Maybe at night but my eyesight, especially in dim light isn't what it used to be and reading lights are not particularly bright.

Helol
4th Aug 2013, 19:01
It's a compromise. If people are asleep etc I always close it but ensure I leave a least a small gap for me to peek through.

I always request a window seat, simply because I am still in awe at the wonderful sights to see outside of said window.

It never ceases to amaze me that people find no interest at all in viewing the big wide world from FL38, even for just a short time. I think the views are wonderful and never tire of it (well, perhaps only when ocean crossing!).

TightSlot
5th Aug 2013, 07:52
The CC cannot demand you close them. Just leave them up if you're enjoying the view.
... And so it starts...

ExXB
5th Aug 2013, 08:59
I've seen a lot of criticism about new B787 electric blinds. Some don't like the CC being able to 'force' them to a position they don't like.

But aren't they adjustable between 0 and 99%? i.e. A window passenger could set them to 25% or so letting in enough of a view, while not having bright light entering into the cabin.

I like having my blind open during the day, but I am cognizant that me opening and closing them can disturb others. This new feature seems ideal.

M-ONGO
5th Aug 2013, 09:29
.. And so it starts...

Tight Slot

I fully appreciate the fact that cc ask pax to open window blinds for landing, for obvious reasons. Why on earth would you want to order or demand that they close them when someone may want to read using natural light or to take in the view? It's that same view that made me want to become a commercial pilot. What now? No f/d visits in flight and no window seats with a view?

Jees, I remember when flying was part of the experience of going on holiday, not a necessary evil...

strake
5th Aug 2013, 10:15
Just cruising by and gosh, look what's resurfaced again.... :)

I'm sure I've read thread after thread on this subject over the years. The end result is normally the same though. Outraged of Tunbridge Wells meets Fuming of Fulham. Finally, all is consigned to the ether by TS of Towers..for another five years or so anyway...

Ka6crpe
5th Aug 2013, 10:47
I'm another SLF who likes a window seat to look at the view. If the ground or ocean is visible (ie no cloud) then there are fantastic land and ocean views to enjoy. At night I entertain myself by identifying features just by the artificial ground lighting available. Like a single lighted area apparently in the middle of the ocean 2 hours north-east of Auckland and knowing its the research station on Raoul Island in the Kermadec group. Or reconising the lights of Tonga as we pass overhead.

When its cloudy it can be interesting identifying the weather patterns underneath, or even identifying ground location by the cloud feartures.

In really bad weather, just watching the de-icing boots on the leading edge of an ATR at 19000' and seeing the ice pinging off is worth a study.

So imagine how upset I feel when I'm unable to get a window seat, yet the person who does get the window imediately lowers the blind.

PAXboy
5th Aug 2013, 11:28
Hello strake, you must be cruising at a very high altitude as we don't see you so often (or you've more sense ;))

... for another five years or so anyway...As long as five years???? This is one of our hardy perennials. :p

Probably time for it to join the FAQ. In fact, if we really work on the FAQ then the reply to every question can be: "Please read the FAQ." :cool:

Sunnyjohn
5th Aug 2013, 11:49
So imagine how upset I feel when I'm unable to get a window seat, yet the person who does get the window imediatley lowers the blind. People often prefer a window seat because it's furthest from the aisle where, during the flight there is an endless succession of cabin crew selling wares or people wishing to use the toilet. Unfortunately, many people also have a fear of flying and do not like looking out of the window, so they pull the blind down.

ZFT
5th Aug 2013, 14:58
Unfortunately, many people also have a fear of flying and do not like looking out of the window, so they pull the blind down.

Interestingly Miss ZFT's partner also has an awful fear of flying, especially turbulence and he is the exact opposite and must look out of the window for reassurance.

Nevertheless, an interesting point and one I had not considered before.

peakcrew
5th Aug 2013, 23:18
I'm definitely in the "I want to see outside" camp. Whilst I usually go out of my way to make flights pleasant for my co-SLF, I will resist window closing as long as possible, because they have other options to achieve their aims (sleeping etc), whereas I have only the open window to achieve mine.

I specifically book window seats so I can see outside. Part of that is because I am a little claustrophobic, but it is mainly because I love the view. Yes, I do read a bit on a plane, especially if the flight is in cloud and so there is nothing but grey to see, but I still keep looking for those magical moments where the sun breaks through, wholly or partially, and creates sights not usually seen. In clearer conditions, I can spend hours just looking at cloud-tops or the ground/sea below.

Hipennine
6th Aug 2013, 08:20
When I first went up in the sky as a pax, I was terrified. I sought seating in the middle of the aircraft, so there was no chance of being able to look out of a window. Then one day, I had to take a window seat. Amazingly, those seemingly massive lurches and bumps felt when seated in the centre were visibly inconsequential when looking out of the window to the ground below. Now in a window seat, seeing clouds coming up ahead, and actually look forward to enjoying the sudden (minor) uplift as the cloud is entered. Looking out of the window is the only pleasure left in flying. It's the way to enjoy the ride, rather than being absorped in artificial entertainment (which you can do anywhere).

LadyL2013
6th Aug 2013, 10:57
It frustrates me when I don't have a window seat and the person who is next to the window keeps the blind down for the non-essential parts of the flight. Firstly I can't see out and it makes me feel claustrophobic and secondly whats the point having a window seat if you don't intend on using the......er.....window.

I always pre-book seats now so I can view the earth in all it's beauty.

t1grm
6th Aug 2013, 11:00
whats the point having a window seat if you don't intend on using the......er.....window

a) so you don't have to move for people to get out to go to the loo

b) so you can rest your head against the side of the plane and have a sleep

But I like to look out of the window too :)

LadyL2013
6th Aug 2013, 11:05
Fair point, but they can both be acheived with the blind up.

If another pax asks me to close the blind, I close it enough to remove glare but enough for me to see out.

ExXB
6th Aug 2013, 17:29
What I hate, is when I don't get a window and the lady that's sitting there has got her head in the way so I can't see out.

Followed by questions like, which airline is that? What airplane is that? Oh, can you see that? Aaarrrggghhh! Move your bleeding head, dear. :ouch:

occasional
21st Aug 2013, 09:58
Given the modern prevalence of paying for seat reservation, is it seriously being suggested that I could pay to reserve a window seat and then be told to close the blind ?