View Full Version : Itinerary changed by airline; what can I do?

Mark in CA
2nd Aug 2013, 05:44
I've booked an upcoming trip, BUD-PHL-SFO-BUD. The first leg is on LH, the others on UA.

Today I learned that UA apparently changed their PHL-SFO service -- their only non-stop of the day -- to a much later time, which gets me into SFO after the bus service to my home stops for the day. It may also mean I'd incur an extra day charge on my rental car in PHL.

UA has one earlier one-stop flight via IAH that would get me into SFO early enough.

Considering the change was made by the airline, am I now able to change my flight without penalty? Do I contact LH or UA? (LH is the first flight, thus I believe they are the "booking" airline.)

Thanks.

Mark in CA
2nd Aug 2013, 08:25
Found the answer here: http://goo.gl/NhwI3D

UNITED AIRLINES, INC.
CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE
(revised July 18, 2013)

Rule 24 applies (used to be Rule 240).

The answer is, basically, nothing. What a surprise.

SeenItAll
2nd Aug 2013, 12:51
The relevant wording in the United CoC is:

RULE 24 FLIGHT DELAYS/CANCELLATIONS/AIRCRAFT CHANGES
B) Definitions - For the purpose of this Rule, the following terms have the meanings below:
1) Change in Schedule – an advance change in UA’s schedule (including a change in operating carrier or itinerary) that is not a unique event such as a Schedule Irregularity or Force Majeure Event as defined below.
C) Change in Schedule - When a Passenger’s Ticketed flight is affected because of a Change in Schedule, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:
1) Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger;
2) At UA’s discretion, reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in the same class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities;
3) Advise the Passenger that the value of his or her Ticket may be applied toward future travel on United within one year from the date of issue without a change or reissue fee; or
4) If the Passenger is not transported as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).
RULE 27 REFUNDS
A) Ticket Refunds - Involuntary
1) The amount UA will refund upon surrender of the unused portion of the Passenger’s Ticket for reasons pursuant to Rule 21 or Rule 24 will be as follows:
a) If no portion of the Ticket has been used: An amount equal to the fare and charges paid.
EXCEPTION: UA shall not be obligated to refund any portion(s) of a fully unused Ticket which does not reflect a confirmed reservation on a UA flight involved in a Schedule Irregularity, unless such Ticket was issued by UA.

So at the end of the day, if you do not like the new flight, you may receive a refund (whether from LH or UA, I do not know). But it is also likely that UA will move you to the IAH connecting flight, so long as the PHL and SFO endpoints remain intact. Give UA call and ask. But if your ticket number doesn't start with 016, UA may tell you that you need to make this request through LH.

ExXB
2nd Aug 2013, 19:42
Phone LH, and ask them if they could reroute you, as the UA change doesn't work for you. Since they have your money they are the ones to ask. Perhaps they can put you on a FRA-West Coast nonstop connecting to SFO on UA. They serve YVR PDX SFO LAX.

I'm sure they can sort you out.

Mark in CA
3rd Aug 2013, 18:56
SeenItAll - eTicket starts with 220. LH?

ExXB -- need the stopover in PHL to visit my mother :)

Not sure I want to change to the via IAH alternative. For one, the time between connecting flights at IAH is only 36 minutes, and I've almost never departed PHL on time. Second, that routing adds more than 2 hours to the trip. I'll take a cab at the end.

ExXB
4th Aug 2013, 06:59
Still, deal with LH. They have your money.

SeenItAll
5th Aug 2013, 14:15
Tickets starting with 220 were issued by LH, so as ExXb suggests, start by talking to LH. If you aren't able to get any satisfaction from them, try UA. They can always say that they don't have anything to do with it, but it's worth a try.

One further thing, do your research before you call anyone. Have some direct suggestions for the flights that you want -- but be sure they start/end at the same airports and are roughly at the same time as your original flights.