PDA

View Full Version : Working in operations and/or flight dispatch

-Andrew-
1st Aug 2013, 09:04
Hello,

I wonder what the best way is to go if I want a job within these fields? As I understand there is a flight dispatch certification in the US, but since I am not eligible to work in America I am afraid that this course would be a waste of money since I probably woudnt get an emplyment in the US anyway.

I am searching google for hours but I dont really find answers on my inquiries. How do I become a flight dispatcher and get to work withing an airline flight operations? What degree shoud I aim for? Business management?

750XL
1st Aug 2013, 16:35
There are very few US style dispatchers in Europe, however.

Experience and contacts are usually much more valuable than degrees.

Ideally, try and get a job within an airline doing anything you can and work your way up (or down http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif) to airline ops. Failing that, a good starting point would be as a dispatcher at your local airport (ARN?). You'll get a good deal of experience over a broad spectrum of things such as ops, dispatch, checkin and ramp which look decent on a CV when applying for ops jobs.

Good luck :ok:

-Andrew-
1st Aug 2013, 22:20
I got accepted to a bachelor degree in international management This autumn and while flight operations and similar jobs def seems to be the funniest profession for me (even though a very narrow path), I would probably also enjoy strategy and planning Jobs (revenue management, Network planning and those kind of jobs). Therefore Im a bit divided in what I should do next! ARN would be the closest for me! Even though swissport takeover of sas ground handling probably means only GH-companies employment at ARN. Maybe something to do in between semesters though