PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Bound

Motomatte
30th Jul 2013, 23:33
Hello, I have been reading a lot on this website and have found some very useful information! Thanks all for that! But I have a question that hopefully someone with some experience can offer their words of wisdom. So I am Currently in Canada working on my CPL. I plan to obtain that as well as my Multi/IFR Here. Once I have got my ratings, all be a fresh pilot with around 250TT. I have a goal to leave Canada as soon as I can after my training to move to NZ or Australia. I feel from what Ive read NZ is easier and more affordable to begin in. I will be going there and not expecting to be hired on the spot. I am not looking to be hired to a airline or anything ridiculous, Just a small charter to build my hours and even then will work my way from the ground into a right seat. If anyone has done this can you tell me how easy converting the licences over are, as well as if anyone knows of good schools in NZ to convert my license :ok: Thank you all for the info! Each day I am one step closer to my dream!!

Ixixly
31st Jul 2013, 01:20
Well, I don't know where you've been reading but you might want to recheck it!! There is a reason why the vast majority of NZ Pilots make the move to Australia and that is because there is far more employment at the beginners level. The Pay levels are also better (So I've been told) in Australia, so I'd definitely say Australia is the better bet.

Luke SkyToddler
31st Jul 2013, 01:53
You will need a hell of a lot more than 250 hours to get hired to a "small charter" operator, if they have multi piston types then expect a minimum of around 1000 hours single engine time to be considered, plus some friends in high places, plus a lot of luck, those kind of jobs are extremely rare.

If you plan to fly in NZ then save your money and do your CPL / MEIR training here, if you spend your money with the right training organization and they like you, it's probably the best way to get a foot in the door to paid employment with them.

There's a reason why kiwi pilots are as common as cockroaches all over the world outside of our home country - there's no jobs at home!

Motomatte
31st Jul 2013, 17:50
Thanks for all the posts and information. I have been going out on a limb and trying to gather information and contact people, which is harder than it sounds :ugh: As I read, Aus is the way to go here. I'm in now way expecting to get handed a job overseas just like that. And have no problem working a ramp to get my foot in the door with a company. I am young, and am willing to work my ass off to get to where I want to be, and if it doesn't work out, Ill head right back home! lol, Thanks again for the information!