PDA

View Full Version : tough one... DATs and CD-Rs/MDs

Squawk7777
2nd May 2002, 21:30
I have a few recordings on DAT (Digital Audio Tape). The question is how to digitally copy music from DAT to CD or MD. A simple way would be to connect the DAT deck to a CD-R burner deck; however, I do not posess a CD-R deck. How would you connect a DAT deck to your computer? Do computer DATs read audio DATs?

If you wonder why I still use DAT, let me say that a better system has not been developed yet. It is the best way to keep your master records! ;)

FL310
2nd May 2002, 22:47
it all depends what type of connectors you have at the tape deck...a lot of peripherals can be connected to the PC via an excellent graphics adapter, yes, graphics....
If you record the input without video stream you have a perfect audio stream. And that is easy to burn.
I doubt very much that a direct burn through the PC is possible.

Of course, a separate CD-R/W deck would solve the problem easily...but Mrs. FL309 would than be charged soon with 1st degree murder as my office cannot take anymore gadgets and I would have to expand to the guest room....:rolleyes:

BayAreaLondoner
3rd May 2002, 00:04
I don't think that suggestion will yield a digital path. The graphics cards that I have seen with VIVO (video in, video out) have analogue audio inputs.
If a true digital signal path is a must-have, you need to do one of two things:
1. Check your sound card to see if it has a digital audio input capability (many have an SP/DIF output, but few have such an input).
2. Buy a digital audio card for your computer. Several are available - both internal as well as external (PCMCIA) devices - check music magazines for info. In the UK Computer Music is a good source.
I would say that unless a pure digital path is a must for some reason, go with the analogue alternative, which your sound card should already provide.