PDA

View Full Version : Remuneration/Bonding to a Regional

Freeze Level
2nd May 2002, 18:02
I'm still trying to get my first airline job and I'm pestering the UK regionals.

I'd like to know what sort of package/benefits would typically be offered to a raw First Officer on a turboprop. Would I be expected to repay the cost of my type rating, how much would that be and over what time period would I have to repay it?

How long would I have to be bonded for?

I am interested in all this and any other relevent issues. Can anyone help?

Seer
3rd May 2002, 10:24
Hello there Freeze Level, welcome to the colorful world of PPRuNe!

Starting salary for a junior F/O in the UK would be between around 18 - 25K GBP although I believe there is the odd operator paying around 14 - 16K. On top of that you would get expenses such as an overnight allowance if away from base, around 20-35 GBP, plus flying pay or duty pay which works out around 10 - 25 GBP per duty period (per day usually).

Training bonds do not have to be repaid from your salary. The amount of the bond reduces throughout your time in employement with the company. I.E., you have a bond for say 10K over 2 years, then if you leave after 1 year you pay your employer 5K in severance, if you leave after 2 years you owe nothing. Some bonds are lodged with a bank, which means if you leave your job, you repay the bank, not your employer.

Here are some bond amounts for regional turbo prop operators that I have managed to glean from friends & collegues:

Brymon - DHC8- 12k over 3 years
British Regional - ATP - 15k over 3 years
British European - DHC8 - 15k over 3 years
Loganair - Saab340 - 15k - over 3 years
Scotair - Do328 - 12k - over 2 years
Eastern Airways - 7k - over 1 year

Some of the above bond amounts might be out of date, but it is reasonably accurate I feel.

Good luck with the job hunting, but I feel it will be a few months yet before the low houred boys and girls will get a start.

Freeze Level
3rd May 2002, 14:25
Thanks for the info Seer. Thats really useful.

FL