PDA

View Full Version : Asia's essential guide

Richard Phillips
26th Jul 2013, 10:29
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had the information to make a thread similar to the 'maun essential guide' and 'jobs in Africa, 2011 and beyond'?

I presume there are similar flying jobs in Asia (C208, C402, C206, floats etc) but a search does not bring up much, Susi air aside.

Any takers?

Thanks

ellafliestheskies
19th Aug 2013, 19:31
I would like some more info on this as well, there must be more adventure in this part of the world than airliners!

India Charlie
20th Aug 2013, 10:22
The only place with that kind of stuff I can think of is the Maldives. They operate DHC Twin Otters (floats) within the attols, gotta be a lot of fun, for sure.

Maldivian Air Taxi and Trans Maldivian Airlines can both be accessed through this link: http://www.maldivianairtaxi.com/

Richard Phillips
21st Aug 2013, 11:21
Yes, Maldive air taxis look good.

There must be a list of small charter companies somewhere.

Subic Seaplane - Subic Bay Freeport Philippines Air Charter Service (http://www.seaplane-philippines.com/)

pilotchute
21st Aug 2013, 13:51
Richard,

Up until last year you could score a job in Indonesia with rather low time but this party is now over. As for Maldives Air taxi, I hope you have some float time and twotter time cause if you don't there is no chance of you getting in.

Papua New Guinea requires 1000TT just to fly a 206 and they definitely prefer Australian or NZ licence holders.

Burma, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand etc will hire locals first every time so unless you have time on a type and they are short you have no hope.

Very rarely someone will "walk into a job" but this isn't the norm. Indonesia is on the lookout for instructors now but minimum of 500 hours teaching time. Pay is ok but it isn't a stepping stone to something bigger. They won't give you a local licence and you need 250 hours on type there now anyway.

Richard Phillips
1st Sep 2013, 17:18
Thanks pilotchute for the info.

PNG interests me. Also the Philippines, and Indo for the islands. Spectacular part of the world. I'd like to think there are always opportunities, as people move on.

Why the preference to license holders?

Also i'd heard that the Indo 250hrs time on type only applied to aircraft over a certain weight(?) so, for example, the Caravan is OK if you don't have 250hrs on type. (Susi Air). Correct me if i am misled..

Thanks all.

flyboy_nz
1st Sep 2013, 23:51
Also i'd heard that the Indo 250hrs time on type only applied to aircraft over a certain weight(?) so, for example, the Caravan is OK if you don't have 250hrs on type. (Susi Air). Correct me if i am misled..

Affirm, as long as the aircraft has less than 30 seats. I am not sure if there is a weight limit as well as biz jets would then would still be a go.

pilotchute
2nd Sep 2013, 07:08
Indo and PNG are the same in regards to the total time needed to be in command of a single engine aircraft operating under part 135. You will be required to have 1000 hours single engine time to qualify for PIC. Only a couple of Caravan operators in Indo have two pilots up front so this could be very limiting in your job prospects. No co pilot means no time building to the magic 1000.

The belief that the under 30 seat rule makes the 250 hour rule not applicable seems not to be true. Susi had to apply for an exemption apparently.

ozzypilot
3rd Nov 2013, 14:00
The 250 hour rule is for all aircraft. not just those over 30 seats.

training wheels
3rd Nov 2013, 23:28
You can download the 250 hours on type directive from the DGCA website from here.

.:: Directorate General Of Civil Aviation | Ministry Of Transportation Republic Of Indonesia ::. (http://hubud.dephub.go.id/?en/edar/index/filter:bulan,1)

Look for AU.403/1/1/DJPU.DKUPPU 2013 at the bottom of the list. It's written in bahasa and is lacking in detail, but has a list of operators that it has been sent to in the bottom and includes both part 121 and part 135 operators (including Susi Air).

Don't know whether there's been any further updates after this, but the original directive does not make any mention on the size of the aircraft o the number of seats that this rule applies to.

training wheels
3rd Nov 2013, 23:55
A recent directive issued by the DGCA last month says that the authority will no longer be issuing Indonesian licenses to foreign pilots. Foreign pilots wishing to fly in Indonesia will now get validations based on their 'mother license' from their home country. License validations are not transferable and are company specific.

The DGCA has apparently reacted in this was after finding that some foreign pilots have fraudantly falsified their flight time when holding an Indonesian license.

Here's the directive, but again, it's in bahasa.

.:: Directorate General Of Civil Aviation | Ministry Of Transportation Republic Of Indonesia ::. (http://hubud.dephub.go.id/?en/news/detail/2090)

Seems like the DGCA is now making very difficult for foreign pilots to work in Indonesia.

jetjockey696
4th Nov 2013, 03:50
I guess the locals dont falsified there flight time to seek work elsewhere in the world. ;)

besides most companies would worried to accept a Indonesian license, compared to JAA, FAA, Australian license etc... so no sleep loss over not having a license..

Massey058
4th Nov 2013, 06:58
Thanks for the link trainingwheels. I was searching for the original edaran that was issued on the 10th of January and issued to all AOC holders but can't find it in the mass of files. That letter stated they 250 hour requirement was valid only for aircraft with 30 seats or more.

But clearly no more licence issues for the time being. I think it's probably a good thing but I don't think it will solve much.

training wheels
4th Nov 2013, 23:58
But clearly no more licence issues for the time being. I think it's probably a good thing but I don't think it will solve much.

Not only that, Massey, but the new rule from the DGCA does not allow foreigners with current Indonesian licenses to move operators even if you have 250 hours on type. If you wish to move to another airline in Indonesia, your current Indonesian license becomes invalid and you need to apply for a new license in order to work for the other operator.

This is a quote from the link above from the DGCA website. (Use Google translate if you're not fluent in bahasa).

Bagi pemegang lisensi indonesia, apabila pilot asing yang berkeinginan pindah ke operator penerbangan yang lain maka lisensi Indonesia yang dimilikinya tidak berlaku lagi dan yang bersangkutan wajib mengajukan aplikasi kembali untuk penerbitan lisensi Indonesia melalui operator penrbangan yang baru.

Massey058
5th Nov 2013, 06:56
Yeah read that and understood it. Like I said I think it's not necessarily a bad thing. In some ways it's unhelpful for people trying to get an in but clearly bules are getting a bad rap (deserving or not) and there have been some that have moved around from company to company and certainly not done any of us any favours.