PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband Problems

FJJP
2nd May 2002, 17:48
It has taken me a week to sort out problems I have had with BT Broadband - and it's still not resolved. The USB modem drops out after a few mins. Anybody out there experienced similar difficulties and what was the solution?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

idgas
2nd May 2002, 22:56
What "modem" are you using? Who is your ISP?

I have a USB Fujitsu modem connenected using Force 9 via BTInternet with no problems.

Cheers, :cool:

Bally Heck
3rd May 2002, 10:59
Just commisioned a new iMac with System X and an Alcatel USB ASDL modem. It would only connect directly after start up and if it dropped off, I had to disconnect and reconnect the modem to get on line again. However, I just downloaded the latest driver from Alcatel and it all seems hunky dory now.

pied piper
3rd May 2002, 13:14
yup, I had similar problems, I had to unplug the modem and restart the connection. It got better after I upgraded the USB modem driver from speed touch web site. Now, I use a cisco 827 router with a firewall feature set and the whole house is on the net.

BRL
3rd May 2002, 22:48
I got the BTinternet ADSL plug and go package last weekend. Got an Alcatel USB modem(looks like a green manta ray fish.!! ) and 2 filters. I had one problem on tuesday where it wouldn't take my username/password when it tried to connect. Thats the most dramatic thing really. I have been on it quite a lot as well and downloaded huge patches/files with no problems at all. I suppose its just the way things are with these things. Sometimes, no-one can explain why they mess up one day and are ok the next. :)

bengal_lancer
3rd May 2002, 23:20
I have been connected to BT Openworld ADSL (using the SpeedTouch USB modem) since late last year. Overall I am extremely happy. The only niggle for me is that I frequently have to disconnect and reconnect the USB connector at the back and allow the modem to re-initialise. This is because it often does not make the connection. Anyway, I'm off to the site to download the latest driver.

Does anybody know how to 'tweak' the set up for tip-top performance? I have heard that 'latency' can be an issue but I don't know how to alter it... probably best to leave well alone! BTW I am running a P3 500Mhz, 640MB SDRAM, 30 & 20 GB HDD. W98 SE.... Time to upgrade I hear you say!

Cheers.

FJJP
4th May 2002, 08:40
Thanks for your inputs guys. Had the BT Broadband engineer in yesterday. After an hour of testing (even he couldn't achieve a synch) he and the testing centre reached the conclusion that I am just outside the max range from the exchange.

I guess I will just have to wait until they add boosters to the exchange.

Bally Heck
4th May 2002, 14:01
Try this site to test your connection speed.

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/index.html

touch&go
4th May 2002, 16:51
I have been a BT ADSL user for about 15 months and at first had problems with the modem and having to remove and reconnect the USB plug on the Speed Touch.

The fix to the problem is simple and has worked for the last 10 months without the need to unplug the Speed Touch.

You need on boot up to set Outlook Express to boot up as well, and then set it to check for emails every minute, this stops the modem from falling asleep, this fix took BT and Alactel four months to work out and BT gave me 6 months free connection for the trouble I had.

All Systems Go
9th May 2002, 03:45
Bengal - Latency cannot easily be tweaked unless you can ****** about with the characteristics of the line and the exchange you connect to - it's a feature of the line characteristics, amount of people on your ISP/Server, distance from the exchange, signal quality (I know these are almost all the same, but they all play a part). Basically, the lower the latency the closer you are to the server. Having said that you could be connecting to a server just down the road and have a huge latency - all depends on the amount of "hops", what load is on the internet and the quality of the equipment your ISP uses.

Bally Heck
9th May 2002, 12:44
Bengal

Broadband Optimiser is available for the Mac. Inevitably a GatesOS version will be available.

This is from the associated read me file.

Like most operating systems, MacOS X doesn't come out of the box to take full advantage of a high-speed, broadband internet connection. Luckily, because of its Unix base, there's an easy fix for that. By making certain tweaks to your network settings, you may be able to almost double your download speeds.

Broadband Optimizer works by increasing the memory buffers used for TCP transfers, so that data comes in bigger chunks at at time - Man-sized broadband chunks, not modem-sized kiddie chunks.

For this version I've removed a network check that turned out to be unnecessary - BBO should now work on PPPoE-based DSL connections without modification - and also cleaned up the code a bit.

BRL
10th May 2002, 14:54
Have a look here to tweak your broadband modems....

Modem link (http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_patches.shtml)

:)