PDA

View Full Version : Administrator

Lightning Mate
26th Jul 2013, 07:32
Recently I have been having the following problem with my machine.

If I take a photographic image (even one of my own) and try to alter it in Photoshop, more often than not I get the following message:

"You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes for this file"

There is no administrator - it's a personal PC!

If I then try to delete it, the machine will not allow me to do so.

Do any of you buffs out there know what might be the problem?

Milo Minderbinder
26th Jul 2013, 07:50
what version of windows?
is your logon an admin account or a user account?
where are the files stored? Camera, flash drive or hard drive?

its a permissions issue and we need more info

Lightning Mate
26th Jul 2013, 08:00
I have Windows 7 and it's a user account.

The files are on the hard drive.

I have recently had the latest Norton software installed so I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that. Certainly it never used to happen.

Cheers

green granite
26th Jul 2013, 08:15
Have you tried right clicking on photoshop and selecting 'run as administrator', if so what happened?

Lightning Mate
26th Jul 2013, 08:20
I've just tried that but it doesn't give me that option. :\

green granite
26th Jul 2013, 11:53
Sorry Lightning Mate, my breathing went tits up and I had to stop doing anything. It would appear that it could well be a case of 'Norton strikes again'; can you log into the admin account? If so do so and temporally disable Norton, if not, boot into safe mode and do it from there.

BOAC
26th Jul 2013, 11:59
This should restore the 'Run as administrator' on right click "Run as administrator" is missing on windows 7 right click menu.. How to fix it?? - Windows 7 Errors and Crashes - Help and Discussion (http://www.pcandtablet.com/windows-7-errors-and-crashes/229/run-as-administrator-is-missing-on-windows-7-right-click-menu-how-to-fix-it.html)

/ also try this? Configure Applications to Always Run as an Administrator (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx)

It seems you are not alone Problem with administrator privileges - MajorGeeks Support Forums (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=165554)

NB This is an XP set-up but it sounds as if PS is corrupted, so it should cover it.

Lightning Mate
26th Jul 2013, 13:29
Many thanks BOAC Lightning pilot.

The geeks link seems to have worked - fingers crossed.

Ancient Observer
27th Jul 2013, 13:03
BOAC,

thank you for that. Very handy.

On your name. I remember once an ex-BA pilot was joining where I worked. I rang up one of my contacts in BA (I never worked there). Contact's first comment on my new colleague was "You have to remember that he came from BOAC"

As though that was meant to mean lots to me. It didn't.

He did go on to say that he was a nice man.

BOAC
27th Jul 2013, 14:06
AO - glad it helped (favour returned....?)

The name was 'chosen' for me by OberLeut Fyne when I set up the BA forum - one of his jokes, since I was an 'incomer' to the BA fold - and yes, I was asked by the 'odd' old crusty why I dared to use it since I had 'never been to Hamble'. My riposte (true) was that I had been offered a place there but turned it down to go to Uni and join the RAF. That usually silenced them. :)