PDA

View Full Version : That old chestnut....

Biggus
25th Jul 2013, 13:26
With regard to leaving the RAF as quickly as possible, many times on pprune the topic of, "you're paid monthly, so you can give 30 days notice to leave under employment law" has been raised.

The standard reply has been, "nice try, but employment law doesn't apply to the military", or something about the contractual rules we're employed under means you can't or some such.

Anyway, literally yesterday I heard second hand (as opposed to 8th or 9th) from a normally reliable source, that this may no longer be the case, something to do with the EU no doubt. Apparently at the airbase currently hemorrhaging people at a great rate of knots this approach is being used with success. Does anyone know more?

Circuit Clear
25th Jul 2013, 14:35
After reading my notice to quit, my boss disagreed with my decision to choose a date 6 months hence. Insisting I had to complete a years notice, I politely informed her that as I was over 50 and had served more than 30 years, I could indeed walk after 6 months. Ignorant of this, amongst other challenging human qualities, she embarassed herself even more by asking higher up the pay scale!!

Motleycallsign
25th Jul 2013, 14:45
You can also complete your Resettlement at anytime after your 50th birthday because you only have to give 6 months notice to leave. Or so it was when I was in.

Two's in
25th Jul 2013, 15:01
I think the phrase that catches you is (or was) "Subject to the exigencies of the Service..." but nowadays it's easier to make a case that your exigency is bigger than theirs.

TomJoad
25th Jul 2013, 15:53
After reading my notice to quit, my boss disagreed with my decision to choose a date 6 months hence. Insisting I had to complete a years notice, I politely informed her that as I was over 50 and had served more than 30 years, I could indeed walk after 6 months. Ignorant of this, amongst other challenging human qualities, she embarassed herself even more by asking higher up the pay scale!!

Hells teeth why should your Boss be fully conversant with the engagement rules; I know I would not have been. As for requesting confirmation from experts seems like the most sensible thing to do and If I may say so in your interest as well. Sounds like you have some issue to work on fella. Anyway good luck in civvy street.

Circuit Clear
25th Jul 2013, 16:16
TJ
I was the third in two weeks that left!! The issue was a disbelief in the response not necessarily any ineptitude. What should have taken place was a quiet check not a confrontational meeting. That experience merely cemented our distrust in the lack of experience in command. Its not what you do, more how you do it. That was many years ago and thankfully didn`t tarnish my 30 plus years of enjoyable service.

MG
25th Jul 2013, 16:16
I don't think it unreasonable to expect a line manager to be familiar with this; if not the detail, then certainly the gist of it.
The Manning intranet site is actually very good for this sort of info. Currently, amongst officers, it's 6 months notice, apart from pilots and lawyers.

SASless
25th Jul 2013, 17:50
Pilots and Lawyers.....now there is a marriage made in heaven!:E

12 twists per inch
25th Jul 2013, 20:10
I applied to PVR (early termination in new money) last Tuesday and finished in the RAF on the Friday - just a leaving medical to do! Still smiling now!

Sandy Parts
26th Jul 2013, 12:44
Don't forget to request the nice Med Admin person photocopies all you med records for you before they disappear into a TNT 'storage facility'.... Don't bother with your dental ones as apparently no NHS dentist ever asks for them as they would have to pay to get them - they just start new records when you join (so my fang-doctor told me anyway)!

Pontius Navigator
26th Jul 2013, 13:28
TJ, the 6-month rule has been extant for over 30 years. It is one reason for not giving elderly aircrew an OCU after the age of 50 and even as early as 45.

Not to know when your staff will be either tourex or timex is an indication of incompetence. My SiL has just taken up a new assignment and the first thing his boss asked was his career aspirations followed by a call to the assigner to see check if a short tour was in the offing.

TomJoad
26th Jul 2013, 16:49
TJ, the 6-month rule has been extant for over 30 years. It is one reason for not giving elderly aircrew an OCU after the age of 50 and even as early as 45.

Not to know when your staff will be either tourex or timex is an indication of incompetence. My SiL has just taken up a new assignment and the first thing his boss asked was his career aspirations followed by a call to the assigner to see check if a short tour was in the offing.

Yeah, I'll take that under advisement mate.:ugh: Not to seek opinion from authoritative post holder would IMHO be a dereliction of duty and a bloody poor show of respect for the individual concerned; too much at stake just to cuff it.:ok:

ShyTorque
26th Jul 2013, 19:35
Pilots and Lawyers.....now there is a marriage made in heaven!

Just try divorcing one..... :uhoh:

Courtney Mil
26th Jul 2013, 20:47
Which one?