PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Training & Quals

F4TCT
24th Jul 2013, 16:47
Hi All,

I was wondering what is the comparison in training for an RAF pilot to say a commercial pilot?

For example, the fast jet guys presumably have IR, and the multi engine guys who fly the new air tanker for example have ME IR,

But what level of qualification do they actually have? Because I would imagine the difference in flying say a typhoon is dramatically different to flying an A330 - 200.

Do the guys flying the big multi engine stuff do an ATPL? etc...

Dan

Ken Scott
24th Jul 2013, 17:08
Much of this was covered only recently:

http://http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/518490-why-4-000-000-a.html

The syllabi for military training goes quite a bit further than for civil pilots, even at the EFT stage students do spinning, aerobatics, formation & low level navigation none of which is included in the latter. FJ training deviates markedly which is to be expected, ME training covers similar ground but again tactical stuff such as formation & low flying would not be covered in a CPL. Rotary training goes way beyond civil, again nothing too surprising as the end job is markedly different.

ME pilots do not require an ATPL even if they are doing essentially a similar job operating an ex-civilian airliner. Under EASA mil pilots were fairly well stiffed when it comes to converting their mil qualifications to civil, the CAA allow you to count all your ground school training as having covered the knowledge put you have to prove it by passing all the exams so there's little allowance. I don't think it would be too difficult to convert ME ground school into a 'frozen ATPL' compliant one but the RAF has seemingly always been petrified of making it easier for people to gain qualifications & leave, but many foreign air forces operate this pattern. They would just need to tie the issue of a licence into a return of service, shouldn't be too difficult.

F4TCT
24th Jul 2013, 17:47
So the RAF conduct their own written exams and stuff then?

airborne_artist
24th Jul 2013, 17:56
So the RAF conduct their own written exams and stuff then?

They do, and so does the Royal Navy and the Army ;)