PDA

View Full Version : BNE Domestic Terminal "evacuated"

D.Lamination
24th Jul 2013, 10:18
Passengers evacuated from Brisbane Airport after security breach (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/passengers-evacuated-from-brisbane-airport-after-security-breach-20130724-2qjgc.html?rand=6408439#comments)

Any one know what this little kerfuffle was about?

Plenty of professional pilots would have their day ruined by this event. The article was not clear what caused the shutdown other than a nebulous "breach". I for one have sat on the gate for hours while this sort of silliness has played out.

My question was to anyone who was there - was it serious: i.e. person discovered who was real threat or another bureaucratic nightmare in the failure of process/procedure.

:ugh:

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
24th Jul 2013, 21:13
As per the story, a breach at the Qantas end of the Domestic resulting in the evacuation of the terminal. Whether it was the whole terminal or just the Qf and maybe JQ sections? What more do you need to know? Doubt you will get any more than that.

Jack Ranga
24th Jul 2013, 22:33
Someone probably tried to take a 101ml bottle of water through checkpoint charlie :sad: Israel has airport security down pat, only problem is it doesn't employ thousands of muppets :ok:

Wally Mk2
24th Jul 2013, 22:47
Now come on JR (loved yr Tv show BTW):) we all know that we need security to protect us from us:-) I mean we tech crew are of the highest risk, what with a crash axe already pre-installed in the cockpit it's any wonder they even let us thru at all!:E
Sometimes not all the time though I feel for some of the security people as they have DOTARS randomly watching them to make sure they make our lives miserable!
Watch some of the idiotic TSA crap in the States on YouTube. A 4 yr old disabled boy goes thru hell, I am almost ashamed to be part of the human race at times where common sense is left at these goons home when they leave for work!:ugh:

Bloody security, a 'feel good' industry these days....it's an insult!!:ugh:

Wmk2

HappyBandit
24th Jul 2013, 23:04
Wally I hear ya

I heard it from a security officer's mouth the other day too that should tech crews now request a private room for being explosives tested they are to write down your name and staff number. What happens after that is anybody's guess.:confused:

Tankengine
25th Jul 2013, 05:25
If you have any issues with security staff, ask for THEIR name and staff number.
You should see the look on their faces!:ok:

DancingDog
25th Jul 2013, 05:34
I heard that there wasn't actually a security breach but rather there was a bunch of passengers who weren't screened properly. In this day and age of over the top safety and ass covering, they basically had to assume that someone had brought an AK-47 into the terminal.

IsDon
25th Jul 2013, 07:26
Wally I hear ya

I heard it from a security officer's mouth the other day too that should tech crews now request a private room for being explosives tested they are to write down your name and staff number. What happens after that is anybody's guess.:confused:

That's just a pathetic attempt at intimidation. You have every right to request a private screening, as does every other citizen. I do it every time. Sometimes they take my number and name, most times they don't. I just smile and wave, secure in the knowledge there is absolutely diddly squat they can do about it. Have never had anyone query my right to request a private screen.

Keg
25th Jul 2013, 08:18
I'm not sure a security screener has any right to recording my name and staff number? Do they have the right to request the name of an ordinary person requesting a private screening? Not sure why a crew member would be considered any different in this regard.

Tidbinbilla
25th Jul 2013, 10:13
And further to that, Keg - why would we (crew) voluntarily offer up the info to a mere screening attendant? (I certainly wouldn't). They have no reason to obtain your details, especially if you haven't refused to comply with their request for an ETD test.

I always request a private screening (as is my right) and get it. If that inconveniences the staff - tough. So far, I've been treated respectfully and professionally by the staff.

Pinky the pilot
25th Jul 2013, 12:53
Further to Keg's comment; (How are ya, btw?)It has been a while since I last spoke with a Lawyer aquaintance of mine re the subject of screening etc but I seem to remember him saying that the only people to whom you are required to give your name etc if requested is a sworn member of the Police Force.

If anybody else asks, you can refuse to give such details. And until I hear definitely to the contrary I intend to continue to hold to that.

framer
26th Jul 2013, 01:23
I would have thought they would have the legal right to check your ID if you are in uniform?

billyt
26th Jul 2013, 01:36
What other countries carry out this explosive testing?

Australia and NZ are the only two that I have been subjected to the test.

framer
26th Jul 2013, 01:57
Not sure. Personally I think they should just have lots more dogs and do away with the 17 people manning the X-ray machine. Every flight has all it's pax walk past a drug dog, an explosives dog, and if there are second officers in the crew, a cadaver dog.

The Green Goblin
26th Jul 2013, 02:13
I would have thought they would have the legal right to check your ID if you are in uniform?

It's only a requirement if you are seeking the access your ID allows.

I was asked to display my asic card in customs the other night. I asked why, when technically I am not working and am not seeking the privileges my ASIC card allows (15 min sign off completed). He told me because anyone can obtain a Pilot uniform and walk around the terminal :ugh:

I said good luck to them if they do!

No wonder we need to be a nanny state, our citizens need a nanny.

feetonthedash
26th Jul 2013, 03:06
I was part of the terminal evacuation the other night and sitting back looking at how the airlines handled informing pax,rescheduling flights and actually departing as best as they could it I would rate them out of ten with ten being the best the following
Qantas 7,Jetstar 9,Virgin -2

A few years back Virgin were great at what they did but these days it appears all of their staff have missed the last few days of training for their jobs

:rolleyes::confused::}:ooh:

TonKat
28th Jul 2013, 23:47
I also was there - the re-organising of flights and connections in my opinion went quite well.

One comment though - BAC need to do something about their PA system so that when they are making announcements they can be understood and not emitting as some garbled gibberish.:ooh:

Jack Ranga
29th Jul 2013, 04:53
I was there as well getting off a flight that was obviously getting limited information themselves. Virgin told us what they knew themselves. While I was waiting for my bag (affected by the national crisis this security breach created) Virgin prioritised the flight boarding and continually made broadcasts, my bag showed up a lot sooner than I expected it too. I personally thought Virgin handled it quite well.

Dunno how you were able to rate all three? I couldn't hear what Q or J were announcing?